Nebraska-Wisconsin Matchup Still a Possibility

ESPN Big Ten Blogger wrote the following:

Bret Bielema's tweet was not a tease.

The Wisconsin head coach caused a bit of a stir April 6 when he tweeted: "Also trying to lock up a home and home contest with Notre Dame or Nebraska for the future. (Home 2012 away 2015). Would be fun for WI fans." Wisconsin has often been knocked for soft nonconference scheduling, so adding a series with Notre Dame or Nebraska certainly would bring some excitement.

While nothing has been finalized with either school, Bielema is optimistic something can get done.

"The reason I put that on my Twitter was because it was a real thing," Bielema said Tuesday. "It's something we've been trying to pursue for a couple years. They're on me to make my Twitter more informative about my day-to-day planning, and that day, I'd spent a lot of time on future scheduling, so those were two opportunities that had been presented.

"A lot of times in these scheduling things, there are some X-factors that come into it. It's so far in advance. But I wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't something we were actively trying to pursue."

Bielema's post also sent a larger signal about potential scheduling opportunities with Wisconsin, and there has been some interest from other schools.

So could something actually get done with the Irish or Huskers?

"Some talks with both of them are something that we would definitely love to pursue," Bielema said, "but it's going to take an interest on both parts to make that happen."

Whether or not something gets done, Bielema succeeded in sending a signal to Wisconsin fans that the school is at least somewhat willing to beef up the schedule, which has been a sore subject for years.

nu has nothing to gain except a possible L on the schedule.

no up side.

We do get to enjoy a football game against a B10+1 school. I'd like us to play a harder schedule honestly.

I agree, so why would we schedule a big 10 school if we want a harder schedule??? Why not MWC or WAC?

no up side.

I think this is ridiculous. Replace Wisconsin with Ohio State and I agree with you. Wisconsin is a good quality program and it would make our team better in the end. The atmosphere at camp randall scares me more than their team though. I say this would be great for recruiting, national recognition, and a heck of a lot of fun for the fans. We've been making a big push into big 11 country with recruiting. Illinois and Ohio have now given us some good recruits over the last couple years. It will only help bring in more talented kids if we play games like this.

no up side.

I think this is ridiculous. Replace Wisconsin with Ohio State and I agree with you. Wisconsin is a good quality program and it would make our team better in the end. The atmosphere at camp randall scares me more than their team though. I say this would be great for recruiting, national recognition, and a heck of a lot of fun for the fans. We've been making a big push into big 11 country with recruiting. Illinois and Ohio have now given us some good recruits over the last couple years. It will only help to bring in more talented kids to play games like this.

Supposedly there are talks between NU and OSU about a future match-up.

Just heard Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel on "Sports Nightly." Tom Osborne has invited him to be the featured speaker at the Nebraska FCA banquet next weekend in Lincoln.

Coach Tressel said that there has been SOME discussion about a POSSIBLE Nebraska-Ohio State match-up, but it may not happen until at least 2021. It's a long wait, but this series must absolutely, positively HAPPEN!!

Coach Tressel also said when he became head coach at Youngstown State, he made his first scholarship offer to........Bo Pelini. The bad news, Tressel said, was the very next week Ohio State made a scholarship offer to Pelini and "I was out of business."

LINK