2010 Spring Game Attendances

Neither of which had a respectable Spring game showings until NU had 80K+. Just like NU was the first team in all of football to hold up four fingers at the beginning of the 4th Q (Orange Bowl vs Miami 1995) others are there to copy The Huskers.

that's kind of unfair to say that showing up to a spring game is copying another team, that's kind of like saying Nebraska copied Bradbury Robinson of the 1906 St. Louis University for utilizing the forward lateral.

Not at all. Where you would come up with such a wrong opinion is beyond all recognition.

i don't know about all recognition.

to say that if any fan base has over 80k at a spring game after NU, they are copying NU, that seems a bit unfair. it is awesome that we were the first, but there are probably other reasons Auburn/BAMA has big showings at their spring games other than wanting to by like NU.

It's not unfair to say it at all. If it makes you feel better - whoever said life is fair was also wrong.

i'm not really sure i know what we are talking about anymore, but does it make you feel better to say that bama/auburn have high attendances at their spring games to be like nebraska? fair or not, i think it is odd and irrelevant.

The truth always makes me feel great.

then you must not feel so well now.

As always I feel great.

is that a lie, vince?

ah good ole vince!!

you are wrong buddy, if im not mistakin (and im not) alabama sold out their spring game the same year that we did the first time.

now im all for pumping up nebraska but you cant just lie and expect people to think its true....

ah good ole b-rent. Continuing to jump into conversations over his head and holding his posting wrong rate at a perfect 100%.

about the money issue. I think that teams do what they can do, for the most part. Ne CAN charge $10 a ticket and still have a nearly packed house, so they do. Some teams, Kansas, have no charge and give away free t-shirts just for coming in. Because they have to do something to get people there. Every one is different. But I like when its charity driven. I know a number of teams do that.

Even if NU donoted just 1/2 of the ticket price they could have written a check for $389,680 to a local Nebraska or Omaha/Lincoln charity. Thats huge. I know Mu does theirs for the local food bank. $3 or 3 caned food items. $45,000 or 45,000 cans of food where raised.

Larger programs are very profitable, so maybe its just the way I am. But when presented an excellent chance to give back, i believe you should do so. Especially when you are state funded.

just my $0.02

I disagree. When I want money to go to charity I give money to charity. When I give money to Nebraska football, I want the money to go to Nebraska football. I would guess that most fans who purchased tickets felt similarly.

Edit: Also, MU gave $45,000 to charity . . . and you are saying that NU should give $400,000 to charity? Aren't MU fans the ones who constantly complain about revenue inequity? Yet you think Nebraska should give 10 times as much as MU to charity. Interesting.

Carl your clearly twisting what I said in to some 'out to get you' angle. MU gives 100% of the game proceeds to charity. However when tickets are $3 or 3 canned food items and 15K people show up you only total $45K or 45K canned food items. If MU charged $10 or 10 canned food items and 70K showed up then it would be 700K given out. All i said is that if NE gave 1/2 of what they made. They obviously make 10 times more because they charge 3 times as much and have 55K more people show up. Read it as I wrote it and quit thinking people are out to get you. You know better than to think that of me buddy. Thats not how I roll.

And FYI, Mu has been, for a number of years, in the top half of rev. from the conference. THe complaint for most is that we as a conference make 10's of millions less than other conferences. MU directly competes with big10 schools for a number of kids. STL is a big10 hotbed for recruiting and many of times its MU and the big10 going after kids. WHen the schools you compete against will make 11 mill. more a year just off a TV deal you could see where that puts you at a disadvantage over time.

My take is MU wants the BIG12 to do a better deal and share the money to help everyone. That would mean taking money away from MU in the conferences current deal. Not a much as Texas would lose. But still Mu gets more than the 'equal' cut now.

Looking at the Alabama/Auburn numbers, they are amazing. There are some serious fans there.

Neither of which had a respectable Spring game showings until NU had 80K+. Just like NU was the first team in all of football to hold up four fingers at the beginning of the 4th Q (Orange Bowl vs Miami 1995) others are there to copy The Huskers.

The four fingers thing was something Bear Bryant's teams did back in the 70s. It caught on when the Canes started doing it during their glory years (80s).

You're 0 - 2 in your post. Mike Anderson must be your mentor.

Haha, you really believe Nebraska started the four fingers thing in 1995? Go tell that to Bama fans who were doing it many decades ago. Here's a book about Bear Bryant's life that mentions it:

Click for truth

[quote name=Coach: The Life of Paul Bear Bryant

By Keith Dunnavant]Custom and pride in those days dictated that the Alabama players, whether trailing or in the lead, hold four fingers aloft at the start of the fourth quarter, because the fourth quarter always belonged to 'Bama.

Here's a newspaper article from 1984 talking about the same thing:

More truth

During Bear Bryant's long reign as the Alabama football coach, his players would raise four fingers after three quarters of play, signifying that the final quarter was theirs.

Or maybe a Bama fan created a time machine and went back in time to steal Nebraska's tradition. :LOLtartar

Looking at the Alabama/Auburn numbers, they are amazing. There are some serious fans there.

The four fingers thing was something Bear Bryant's teams did back in the 70s. It caught on when the Canes started doing it during their glory years (80s).

You're 0 - 2 in your post. Mike Anderson must be your mentor.

Haha, you really believe Nebraska started the four fingers thing in 1995? Go tell that to Bama fans who were doing it many decades ago. Here's a book about Bear Bryant's life that mentions it:

Click for truth

Here's a newspaper article from 1984 talking about the same thing:

More truth

Or maybe a Bama fan created a time machine and went back in time to steal Nebraska's tradition. :LOLtartar

vince's "truth" is not the same truth as everyone else's, but it makes him feel good.