Is T-Magic the future?

ADS

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well, that is its name, it is not a nickname... how else would you refer to it? nicknames are something personal. maybe it is just a team thing, and until he is recognized by that nickname to a greater extent, maybe we should refrain from calling him it, it is too speculative at this point.

well, that is its name, it is not a nickname... how else would you refer to it? nicknames are something personal. maybe it is just a team thing, and until he is recognized by that nickname to a greater extent, maybe we should refrain from calling him it, it is too speculative at this point.

You're really, really reaching here. I'll call T-Magic by his nickname if I want. I'll also use TMart, T Mart, Martinez, Taylor Martinez and "that dude wearing #3." How do you like them apples?

fine, but no one will know who you are talking about.

let me explain the casual theory of reference. A causal theory of reference is any of a family of views about how terms acquire specific referents. Such theories have been used to describe reference as regards all sorts of referring terms, particularly logical terms, proper names, and natural kind terms. In the case of names, for example, a causal theory of reference will typically involve the following claims:

a name's referent is fixed by an original act of naming (also called a "dubbing" or, by Saul Kripke, an "initial baptism"), whereupon the name becomes a rigid designator of that object.

later uses of the name succeed in referring to the referent by being linked to that original act via a causal chain.

Weaker versions of the position (perhaps not properly called "causal theories"), claim merely that, in many cases, events in the causal history of a speaker's use of the term, including how she acquired it, must be taken into account to correctly assign references to her words.

Causal theories of names became popular during and after the 1970s, under the influence of work by Saul Kripke and Keith Donnellan. Kripke and Hilary Putnam also defended an analogous causal account of natural kind terms, and work on causal theories has involved other areas of language as well.

fine, but no one will know who you are talking about.

let me explain the casual theory of reference. A causal theory of reference is any of a family of views about how terms acquire specific referents. Such theories have been used to describe reference as regards all sorts of referring terms, particularly logical terms, proper names, and natural kind terms. In the case of names, for example, a causal theory of reference will typically involve the following claims:

a name's referent is fixed by an original act of naming (also called a "dubbing" or, by Saul Kripke, an "initial baptism"), whereupon the name becomes a rigid designator of that object.

later uses of the name succeed in referring to the referent by being linked to that original act via a causal chain.

Weaker versions of the position (perhaps not properly called "causal theories"), claim merely that, in many cases, events in the causal history of a speaker's use of the term, including how she acquired it, must be taken into account to correctly assign references to her words.

Causal theories of names became popular during and after the 1970s, under the influence of work by Saul Kripke and Keith Donnellan. Kripke and Hilary Putnam also defended an analogous causal account of natural kind terms, and work on causal theories has involved other areas of language as well.

Don't you mean "let Wikipedia explain the casual theory of reference?" Because you just copypasta'd that from Wikipedia.

And yes, everyone will know who we're talking about when we talk about T-Magic. It's not like people don't read the paper or HuskerBoard.

Who cares if he gave it to himself? The other guys on the team call him T-Magic.

It is my personal opinion and nobody else’s that anybody giving themselves a nickname is really kind of lame. The list would include but not be limited to: “Prime Time”, “The #1 Stunner”, “The Situation”, or any number of nicknames that Muhammad Ali or Babe Ruth gave themselves. That list would now include “T-Magic” if in fact he did give it to himself.

Who cares if he gave it to himself? The other guys on the team call him T-Magic.

It is my personal opinion and nobody else’s that anybody giving themselves a nickname is really kind of lame. The list would include but not be limited to: “Prime Time”, “The #1 Stunner”, “The Situation”, or any number of nicknames that Muhammad Ali or Babe Ruth gave themselves. That list would now include “T-Magic” if in fact he did give it to himself.

I had a friend in college that used to try to give himself nicknames and then get us to call him that. So we would take his nicknames and give them to other people in order to piss him off. Worked pretty well.