Was thinking about the 2nd QB for 2011

Agreed. The only high profile kid I think we have a shot at is Christian Suntrup. And I say this mainly b/c he is 100% a pro-style QB not duel threat. He's also visited a number of times and was at the spring game this past weekend.

If Suntrup was at the Spring game and saw Martinez and Green --- then he would know he could walk onto campus day one and out-compete those two in the blink of an eye. Neither of our two "future" QB's are QB's at all. green is not a natural passer or runner and Martinez is not a natural passer (but a great runner). So... if a kid wanted to come to NU as a QB the path is clear. If you are a real QB with real skills (as is the case with Suntrup... or, at least as is what we surmise about Suntrip) then you would have been encouraged by what you saw at the Spring game.

Honestly, Lee is the man this year --- without question --- not because he is a wonderful QB, but because he is our only QB. After that, it will have to be Carnes or Turner --- not because we know that Carnes or Turner are necessarily awesome, but because we know that neither Green nor Martinez are really QB's. If Suntrup signed on, he would definitely be in the immediate hunt to start next year.

Really??? He could walk on campus from day one and "out compete" both Green and Martinez??? I love how quick you are to throw these two under the bus. You do realize that Martinez is a redshirt freshman and Green is a true sophomore right? Do you realize that this isn't 8 man Nebraska highschool football. Our offense is complex to a degree and it takes time to DEVELOP a QB. It takes experience and there is a lot of mental aspect to learning this offense and being able to make correct reads and be mistake free. Both of these guys are extremely young and need time to develop and learn the mental part of our offense. You dont walk in from day one and take over as a freshman and become Joe Montana. Give it some time before you are so quick to start writing these two off as not real QB's. If you really think that Suntrup could walk in here from day one as a true freshman and beat out Martinez or Green you are delusional! Im calling :bs: right now!

• Fire 1

Agreed. The only high profile kid I think we have a shot at is Christian Suntrup. And I say this mainly b/c he is 100% a pro-style QB not duel threat. He's also visited a number of times and was at the spring game this past weekend.

If Suntrup was at the Spring game and saw Martinez and Green --- then he would know he could walk onto campus day one and out-compete those two in the blink of an eye. Neither of our two "future" QB's are QB's at all. green is not a natural passer or runner and Martinez is not a natural passer (but a great runner). So... if a kid wanted to come to NU as a QB the path is clear. If you are a real QB with real skills (as is the case with Suntrup... or, at least as is what we surmise about Suntrip) then you would have been encouraged by what you saw at the Spring game.

Honestly, Lee is the man this year --- without question --- not because he is a wonderful QB, but because he is our only QB. After that, it will have to be Carnes or Turner --- not because we know that Carnes or Turner are necessarily awesome, but because we know that neither Green nor Martinez are really QB's. If Suntrup signed on, he would definitely be in the immediate hunt to start next year.

Really??? He could walk on campus from day one and "out compete" both Green and Martinez??? I love how quick you are to throw these two under the bus. You do realize that Martinez is a redshirt freshman and Green is a true sophomore right? Do you realize that this isn't 8 man Nebraska highschool football. Our offense is complex to a degree and it takes time to DEVELOP a QB. It takes experience and there is a lot of mental aspect to learning this offense and being able to make correct reads and be mistake free. Both of these guys are extremely young and need time to develop and learn the mental part of our offense. You dont walk in from day one and take over as a freshman and become Joe Montana. Give it some time before you are so quick to start writing these two off as not real QB's. If you really think that Suntrup could walk in here from day one as a true freshman and beat out Martinez or Green you are delusional! Im calling :bs: right now!

yup, way, way too soon to give up on these two. i agree they're not there yet, but they're young and talented.

yup, way, way too soon to give up on these two. i agree they're not there yet, but they're young and talented.

I can see where you and bleeding red are coming from. It is true that both are young. This cannot be contested. That said, neither are talented as QB's. Neither has even remotely decent technique, accuracy, timing or touch as a passer. It is not an issue of learning schemes and knowing the offense (though with both one would improve greatly, to be sure, but...) neither will develop into a true passing QB. They simple do not possess the native natural talent for passing. Either you have it or you do not. They do not. Suntrup seemingly has such skills (perhaps, perhaps not... but he is certainly farther along on the continuum towards being an actual passer than our guys). NU does not have a natural passer on the squad. NU has not had a natural passer in..... decades... ever? Ganz was, at times, serviceable --- he had grit, tenacity and was wonderful to root for --- but a natural passer... no. Many of our other QB's were great as system QB's, but as passers?

The point is that NU has no one at QB the likes of which programs like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Florida, etc. have. So.... yes, if a new QB came in and that QB was, actually, a passing QB... they would have a great shot at beating out an experienced player like Green or Martinez --- if passing is at all part of the picture.

At present, the guys we have are the guys we have... and we root for them big time and hope they play system ball well. But the theme of the thread is whether a HS QB would be disinclined to come to NU for fear of too much competition. My response is that by no means would a top passing QB find our depth chart daunting. In fact, they would see it as a near automatic. Our QB situation, as it currently stands and as it projects over the next two years is decent at best and likely not quite that good. Maybe Carnes or Turner (once he is on campus) can change things after the next few years. But based on what we have seen now... the QB situation is not strong by any stretch of the imagination.

I can see where you and bleeding red are coming from. It is true that both are young. This cannot be contested. That said, neither are talented as QB's. Neither has even remotely decent technique, accuracy, timing or touch as a passer. It is not an issue of learning schemes and knowing the offense (though with both one would improve greatly, to be sure, but...) neither will develop into a true passing QB. They simple do not possess the native natural talent for passing. Either you have it or you do not. They do not. Suntrup seemingly has such skills (perhaps, perhaps not... but he is certainly farther along on the continuum towards being an actual passer than our guys). NU does not have a natural passer on the squad. NU has not had a natural passer in..... decades... ever? Ganz was, at times, serviceable --- he had grit, tenacity and was wonderful to root for --- but a natural passer... no. Many of our other QB's were great as system QB's, but as passers?

The point is that NU has no one at QB the likes of which programs like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Florida, etc. have. So.... yes, if a new QB came in and that QB was, actually, a passing QB... they would have a great shot at beating out an experienced player like Green or Martinez --- if passing is at all part of the picture.

At present, the guys we have are the guys we have... and we root for them big time and hope they play system ball well. But the theme of the thread is whether a HS QB would be disinclined to come to NU for fear of too much competition. My response is that by no means would a top passing QB find our depth chart daunting. In fact, they would see it as a near automatic. Our QB situation, as it currently stands and as it projects over the next two years is decent at best and likely not quite that good. Maybe Carnes or Turner (once he is on campus) can change things after the next few years. But based on what we have seen now... the QB situation is not strong by any stretch of the imagination.

i am somewhat curious about how you define a "natural passer".

gans was an accurate passer with a great feel for the system he played in. he just lacked a big time arm and prototypical size. was he not a "natural" because he took time to learn the system and the timing? perhaps instead of "natural quarterback", you should be using the term 'phenom'.

cody has a big time arm (along with prototypical size and pretty good mobility), and he improved his release and looked more accurate and comfortable this spring. martinez actually looked better than i expected passing (though i didn't expect much). obviously neither is joe mantegna at this point, but it takes time to gain comfort in a complicated passing attack when you've never done it before. i have no idea how you can expect someone to just be a "natural" at it. there are very, very few kids that can immediately step into a complicated passing attack and flourish. i'm not so certain any of the schools you listed currently has one, though they all have young, highly touted prospects. was jimmy clausen a "natural"?

i agree that what our young qb's have shown shouldn't be enough to scare off top prospects, but it is just ridiculous to assume they can't still be highly effective for us or that they should immediately either have "it" or not.

• Fire 2

i am somewhat curious about how you define a "natural passer".

gans was an accurate passer with a great feel for the system he played in. he just lacked a big time arm and prototypical size. was he not a "natural" because he took time to learn the system and the timing? perhaps instead of "natural quarterback", you should be using the term 'phenom'.

cody has a big time arm (along with prototypical size and pretty good mobility), and he improved his release and looked more accurate and comfortable this spring. martinez actually looked better than i expected passing (though i didn't expect much). obviously neither is joe mantegna at this point, but it takes time to gain comfort in a complicated passing attack when you've never done it before. i have no idea how you can expect someone to just be a "natural" at it. there are very, very few kids that can immediately step into a complicated passing attack and flourish. i'm not so certain any of the schools you listed currently has one, though they all have young, highly touted prospects. was jimmy clausen a "natural"?

i agree that what our young qb's have shown shouldn't be enough to scare off top prospects, but it is just ridiculous to assume they can't still be highly effective for us or that they should immediately either have "it" or not.

Good points, Dylan. I really do not assume that neither Green nor Martinez can be successful. They may very well be --- in fact I hope so. But if so, it will be grit, tenacity and playing in a system geared to their skills (and geared to not allow their weaknesses to hurt NU too badly). Kind of like... well Ganz. So, sure, they could prosper.

What a "natural" is is someone who has the inherent skill set that equips them to be an NFL possibility. By this I mean that some 85% or so (or some high percentage of... pick a number --- but it will be high) of a QB's accuracy, touch, ability to see the field, arm strength and quickness of delivery are innate --- you have it or you don't. Such natural skills are far more often than not evident early on. There are may who appear natural early on who end up not so. But there are really few who do not appear natural early on who end up with such skills. Sure, coaching and experience and the confidence and repetitions that come from such takes what is there naturally and hones it and improves it. But the overwhelming majority of college QB's, no matter what experience or what coaching they have, will not be able to be NFL material or even a consideration for such -- the natural talent limitations are too great. This is the obvious case for Green and Martinez. And... such is not an indictment of either --- they are numbered among the majority of college QB's.

Certainly many college teams have been wildly successful w/o a natural QB --- in fact our Huskers have won 5 national Championships with only one natural (Jerry Tagge who was an NFL'er). And many college teams with a natural QB were not successful. That said... that was not the point. Like Dylan said --- what we have at QB will not at all intimidate a QB recruit. Also, I'd add that some here seem to think NU is stacked at QB. I'd counter that there must be at least 25 or more programs with a stronger QB depth chart than NU. So... a top QB recruit should see NU as a land of opportunity. Finally, Carnes or Turner may be the real deal -- can't tell yet. Green and Martinez are not (in the sense that they are clearly not likely top college Qb's or "naturals" --- but may still prosper (as I hope they do).

Good points, Dylan. I really do not assume that neither Green nor Martinez can be successful. They may very well be --- in fact I hope so. But if so, it will be grit, tenacity and playing in a system geared to their skills (and geared to not allow their weaknesses to hurt NU too badly). Kind of like... well Ganz. So, sure, they could prosper.

What a "natural" is is someone who has the inherent skill set that equips them to be an NFL possibility. By this I mean that some 85% or so (or some high percentage of... pick a number --- but it will be high) of a QB's accuracy, touch, ability to see the field, arm strength and quickness of delivery are innate --- you have it or you don't. Such natural skills are far more often than not evident early on. There are may who appear natural early on who end up not so. But there are really few who do not appear natural early on who end up with such skills. Sure, coaching and experience and the confidence and repetitions that come from such takes what is there naturally and hones it and improves it. But the overwhelming majority of college QB's, no matter what experience or what coaching they have, will not be able to be NFL material or even a consideration for such -- the natural talent limitations are too great. This is the obvious case for Green and Martinez. And... such is not an indictment of either --- they are numbered among the majority of college QB's.

Certainly many college teams have been wildly successful w/o a natural QB --- in fact our Huskers have won 5 national Championships with only one natural (Jerry Tagge who was an NFL'er). And many college teams with a natural QB were not successful. That said... that was not the point. Like Dylan said --- what we have at QB will not at all intimidate a QB recruit. Also, I'd add that some here seem to think NU is stacked at QB. I'd counter that there must be at least 25 or more programs with a stronger QB depth chart than NU. So... a top QB recruit should see NU as a land of opportunity. Finally, Carnes or Turner may be the real deal -- can't tell yet. Green and Martinez are not (in the sense that they are clearly not likely top college Qb's or "naturals" --- but may still prosper (as I hope they do).

good post, though i disagree that "ability to see the field" is something that will kids either naturally have or lack. i think it is much more common for a quarterback to struggle with reads early in his career and improve as he gets a better feel for pocket presence and his offense and better understands defenses. while some people may never have the natural ability to excel in these areas, it seems to be extremely rare that anyone does so immediately upon entering college.

given that this mental side of the equation is by far the most important to the success of a passing quarterback, i will continue to disagree that quarterbacks can be judged to either be "naturals" or not early in their career. sure, you can say whether they've got the physical capabilities, but almost none also have the mental side down right off the bat. that's why barkley threw as many picks as td's last year for sc and clausen looked horrid early in his career. obviously i don't think green looked anything but bad as a true freshman, but he's got enough going physically that i think an NFL career is far from impossible.

I think that it might be a good idea, with Turner already a commit, to go after a Martinez type of guy in the sense that he plays two positions (Offense and Defense or QB and WR or something) right now and would be able to play either depending on the team's circumstances during his tenure. Obviously, Martinez is almost sure to stay locked in as a QB throughout his career, but it would be nice to have a Bobby Newcombe-esque guy so that if Turner turns out to be solid, he wouldn't be wasting away as a back-up. If the potential recruit turns out to be a Martinez, diamond-in-the-rough type talent, great, but it would be nice to have another Newcombe (pre-University of Phoneix graduate) type guy instead of a guy who doesn't have as much talent and merely looks good holding the clipboard.

I think that it might be a good idea, with Turner already a commit, to go after a Martinez type of guy in the sense that he plays two positions (Offense and Defense or QB and WR or something) right now and would be able to play either depending on the team's circumstances during his tenure. Obviously, Martinez is almost sure to stay locked in as a QB throughout his career, but it would be nice to have a Bobby Newcombe-esque guy so that if Turner turns out to be solid, he wouldn't be wasting away as a back-up. If the potential recruit turns out to be a Martinez, diamond-in-the-rough type talent, great, but it would be nice to have another Newcombe (pre-University of Phoneix graduate) type guy instead of a guy who doesn't have as much talent and merely looks good holding the clipboard.

The thing is, Turner is more of a Martinez-type guy who plays two positions than a straight-up QB.

I wouldn't say Martinez is obviously to stay locked in at QB. At offense and in the wildcat, maybe.

It's the other guy we need as a straight-up QB IMO. We've gotten tons of these athlete types as our QBs lately, let's see a Ganz or a Taylor or a Gabbert (but with a different last name).

The thing is, Turner is more of a Martinez-type guy who plays two positions than a straight-up QB.

I wouldn't say Martinez is obviously to stay locked in at QB. At offense and in the wildcat, maybe.

It's the other guy we need as a straight-up QB IMO. We've gotten tons of these athlete types as our QBs lately, let's see a Ganz or a Taylor or a Gabbert (but with a different last name).

That's a good point. For some reason I was thinking that Turner had Green-caliber size. Looking again, he would be perfect size for a reeiver or corner (put on a little bulk, could play safety).

Jamal Turner will be QB

I would have to agree. That is what they recruited him as and what they want him as. Everyone is doubting his arm, but he had over 2600 yards passing and 442 rushing as a sophomore (when his coach wanted him to focus on passing). Then as a Junior his coach said your'e our best player go make plays and he had 1800 passing and 1800 rushing. Kid is a stud and he can throw the ball. It is tough for him not to run it though because he is the best player on his team and he plays for a very poor team in a very good high school football conference. He has to carry the team himself.

:rant

All I'm saying is he can pass. The second QB is just extra to add competition, of course we want a 4 :star , but a 2 :star or 3 :star project kid is fine.

Jamal Turner will be QB

I would have to agree. That is what they recruited him as and what they want him as. Everyone is doubting his arm, but he had over 2600 yards passing and 442 rushing as a sophomore (when his coach wanted him to focus on passing). Then as a Junior his coach said your'e our best player go make plays and he had 1800 passing and 1800 rushing. Kid is a stud and he can throw the ball. It is tough for him not to run it though because he is the best player on his team and he plays for a very poor team in a very good high school football conference. He has to carry the team himself.

All I'm saying is he can pass. The second QB is just extra to add competition, of course we want a 4 :star , but a 2 :star or 3 :star project kid is fine.

Jamal's Junior year numbers:

2,063 yds. passing

68% comp.

2,032 yds. rushing

9.5 yds. per carry

Jamal Turner 2009 Stats

Jamal Turner will be QB

Jamal's Junior year numbers:

2,063 yds. passing

68% comp.

2,032 yds. rushing

9.5 yds. per carry

Jamal Turner 2009 Stats

Sorry, I went off of rivals, i guess really this proves my point more thought, rather than 1800 and 1800 it was 2063 and 2032. Also notice is team was 3-7 despite his high numbers. He is his entire team (other than the WR there we would like to get as well). Imagine his stats, especially passing if he had the right guys around him.