Was thinking about the 2nd QB for 2011

I think getting that 2nd QB for this class is going to be a challenge. More specifically 4* QBs. My guess is, since we already have a highly ranked 4* in the fold along with two other 4* from the '09 and '10 classes, it might seem like a logjam to a potential recruit. It also begs the question "do you really want to compete with three other 4* players for the starting job?"

You know these kids research each other when considering schools beforehand. Jamal Turner has a great stat sheet going for him and is considered the best QB prospect in the state of Texas from the 2011 class. Some of these other highly ranked prospects are probably aware of Turner by now, particularly those who carry a Nebraska offer. In a way I can't help but wonder if it discourages them knowing that Turner has already committed?

Therefore I see us taking a 2 or 3* project type of QB who doesn't mind learning and competing behind higher ranked prospects. The Brook Berringer, Joe Ganz type of kid. At least this is what it seems like at the moment. It's too early to tell, but for some reason I can't see someone like Hundley or Frazier giving NU a shot because of Turner. Not to mention seeing the future NU depth chart with Carnes, Green, Spano and Kellogg.

Agreed. The only high profile kid I think we have a shot at is Christian Suntrup. And I say this mainly b/c he is 100% a pro-style QB not duel threat. He's also visited a number of times and was at the spring game this past weekend.

I thought of him too, but I also wonder if he's discouraged by the fact that we're heading in the dual-threat direction? Afterall isn't that part of the reason why Tyler Gabbert decommitted? So why would it be okay to add Suntrup in this case? BTW, I wouldn't mind having Suntrup because he'd bring a pro-style to the competition which would diversify our QB situation, but I'm also not banking on him committing here because of Turner and the dual-threat direction of the offense.

Yeah I thought that way as well. Watson might be thinking of him b/c he is different then every kid we are going after though. I don't know the reason why TG decommitted but I would bet it has more to do with family, proximity to home, and/or pressure from friends then our style of play. Watson has pretty much always had a more TG style QB than a Green, T-Mart, and Turner style.

Like you, I would also love to have Suntrup. He could turn out great....he's better than TG will ever be thats for sure.

I think the "heading in the dual threat direction" is overblown. We want quarterbacks, that's all, and the offense evolves and adjusts to their skill sets. I don't think we're any more "dual threat" direction than Texas or Florida.

Afterall isn't that part of the reason why Tyler Gabbert decommitted? So why would it be okay to add Suntrup in this case? BTW, I wouldn't mind having Suntrup because he'd bring a pro-style to the competition which would diversify our QB situation, but I'm also not banking on him committing here because of Turner and the dual-threat direction of the offense.

I have a feeling Tyler Gabbert decommitted because he is Tyler Gabbert. :(

Was Suntrup really at the spring game? I must have missed his name being on the list. If so, that's very encouraging to see we're still in on this kid.

And a school like USC pulls in Parade All-Americans at QB year after year after year. Just look at what Michigan has in Forcier and Robinson in one class, plus some more highly touted guys coming in or just arrived. Our QB situation as weak as it is, I don't see any reason why we can't get two top targets at our position, unless we just flat out fail to reel them in in the recruiting battle.

I think the "heading in the dual threat direction" is overblown. We want quarterbacks, that's all, and the offense evolves and adjusts to their skill sets. I don't think we're any more "dual threat" direction than Texas or Florida.

Afterall isn't that part of the reason why Tyler Gabbert decommitted? So why would it be okay to add Suntrup in this case? BTW, I wouldn't mind having Suntrup because he'd bring a pro-style to the competition which would diversify our QB situation, but I'm also not banking on him committing here because of Turner and the dual-threat direction of the offense.

Was Suntrup really at the spring game? I must have missed his name being on the list. If so, that's very encouraging to see we're still in on this kid.

And a school like USC pulls in Parade All-Americans at QB year after year after year. Just look at what Michigan has in Forcier and Robinson in one class, plus some more highly touted guys coming in or just arrived. Our QB situation as weak as it is, I don't see any reason why we can't get two top targets at our position, unless we just flat out fail to reel them in in the recruiting battle.

But here's the thing. I remember reading about Suntrup's Jr. Day visit here on Scout and he said that Watson informed him that the QBs will need to be multiple and that there will be more emphasis on running the ball. Apparently he asked Suntrup if he had any problems playing in that particular offense and Suntrup said he didn't mind and would take that into consideration.

I was thinking that maybe the kid from Lincoln whose name escapes me is a good bet. Solid athlete that could come in and compete.

Are you thinking of Derrius Vick from Lincoln Southeast? I haven't seen/read too much about him, but I know he is supposed to be pretty athletic. Around the 4.6 40 range, 6'2.

And a large number of USC/Michigan players bolt after their Freshman/Sophmore years. I'd rather give a scholarship to a 3* that I know is going to be on the team competing, learning, and more importantly teaching 4 years from now than a 4 or 5* that will be gone, never having played a down.

I would assume, like any job, the rookies are a little bit of a drain on the unit. They take time away from the other players while they are being taught. I am sure Cody Green took plenty of time away from the development of Lee and t-mart last year. There is nothing wrong with that until Green decides to transfer, then it was all for nothing. Personally, I am not a huge fan of schools like USC, that hoard large amounts of tallent based on reputation, only to watch a bunch of it walk out the door. Doesn't seem efficient from the "business" aspect of the team.

Are you thinking of Derrius Vick from Lincoln Southeast? I haven't seen/read too much about him, but I know he is supposed to be pretty athletic. Around the 4.6 40 range, 6'2.

I thought Vick was a 2012 kid?

I have a feeling Tyler Gabbert decommitted because he is Tyler Gabbert.

Completely agree about Gabbert....

Suntrup was a late addition to the visitor list for the Spring game but he definitely was there.

Agreed. The only high profile kid I think we have a shot at is Christian Suntrup. And I say this mainly b/c he is 100% a pro-style QB not duel threat. He's also visited a number of times and was at the spring game this past weekend.

If Suntrup was at the Spring game and saw Martinez and Green --- then he would know he could walk onto campus day one and out-compete those two in the blink of an eye. Neither of our two "future" QB's are QB's at all. green is not a natural passer or runner and Martinez is not a natural passer (but a great runner). So... if a kid wanted to come to NU as a QB the path is clear. If you are a real QB with real skills (as is the case with Suntrup... or, at least as is what we surmise about Suntrip) then you would have been encouraged by what you saw at the Spring game.

Honestly, Lee is the man this year --- without question --- not because he is a wonderful QB, but because he is our only QB. After that, it will have to be Carnes or Turner --- not because we know that Carnes or Turner are necessarily awesome, but because we know that neither Green nor Martinez are really QB's. If Suntrup signed on, he would definitely be in the immediate hunt to start next year.

• Fire 1

I thought Vick was a 2012 kid?

Vick is a 2011 kid.

SkerChicago might have Vick confused with Tavarius Bender from Lincoln Southwest who is a 2012 prospect.

I think if I was a top rated QB for 2011 I would keep an eye out on teams that don't look like they have a replacement for the 2011 or 2012 season. Nu is a team I would follow along with a few other schools.If our back-up QBs don't improve during the season and we go 11-1 and our commit list has numerous 4 stars we will pick-up another top 4 or 5 star QB. I believe most young guys just want to play, the young are not into waiting for a spot to open up.