Was thinking about the 2nd QB for 2011

All I'm saying is he can pass. The second QB is just extra to add competition, of course we want a 4 :star , but a 2 :star or 3 :star project kid is fine.

If the second QB is just to add extra competition, do we even need the 2nd QB? I'm not sure on the scholarship count this year, but it can't be so high that we should recruit someone just to add a little competition. Spano, T-Mart, Green, Carnes, Turner, Kellogg, Marsh, etc, etc...since all of them have at least 3 years left as a Husker, I think that's enough competition to keep these guys busy for the near future. It's not as though we forsee a gap (as there is this year without a junior QB). Depth isn't necessarily a problem, quality depth may be - but since the odds are this 2nd QB will not excede the tallent of Turner, then I say give the scholarship to a deserving walk-on or another player.

Is a 2nd quarterback that will provide competition, but is unlikely to contribute on the field more important than a lower rated offensive tackle or possible 'diamond in the rough' wide receiver?

All I'm saying is he can pass. The second QB is just extra to add competition, of course we want a 4 :star , but a 2 :star or 3 :star project kid is fine.

If the second QB is just to add extra competition, do we even need the 2nd QB? I'm not sure on the scholarship count this year, but it can't be so high that we should recruit someone just to add a little competition. Spano, T-Mart, Green, Carnes, Turner, Kellogg, Marsh, etc, etc...since all of them have at least 3 years left as a Husker, I think that's enough competition to keep these guys busy for the near future. It's not as though we forsee a gap (as there is this year without a junior QB). Depth isn't necessarily a problem, quality depth may be - but since the odds are this 2nd QB will not excede the tallent of Turner, then I say give the scholarship to a deserving walk-on or another player.

Is a 2nd quarterback that will provide competition, but is unlikely to contribute on the field more important than a lower rated offensive tackle or possible 'diamond in the rough' wide receiver?

You need extra QB's in case of injuries. You blow out a knee and you are done for a year. Whoever no 2 is, it is exciting when you project out 2 or 3 years and you have Taylor Martinez, Brion Carnes and Jamal Turner all vying for snaps. They all have serious wheels. This offense will be about moving the chains. 3rd and 5 and 3rd and 3 will be the norm for us. If this team puts up 21 points we will be in every game.

• 1 month later...