Continuity

Every Nebraska fan knows––and everyone from Osborne to Pelini has said as much––that a part of the success of Nebraska football is due to the near-miraculous continuity with the staff. Last year we were one of a dozen or so BCS schools to keep our entire staff intact. We know our coordinators are getting looks. Another season like last one and you can start kissing our defensive staff goodbye. Or can you?

What's the over/under? Does Nebraska offer an environment that keeps coaches around, and for how long?

• Fire 1

Nebraska definitely offers an environment to keep coaches around for a long time. The facilities are incredible. The atmosphere is made for football. The fans are among the most loyal in the country. Oh, and this university has shown it's willing to dish out the dough, which is much more part of college football than it used to be. Obviously no one can control what a coach wants or believes he should do, but this university has done more than enough to develop & maintain an environment for coaches to stay here a long time.

All that said & considering the coaches we have right now (& the potential jobs opening at other schools in the near future), I'd say this coaching staff will stay together at least another 2 full seasons.

I would think that a few of our coaches will start to get looks after this next season. I think the key for our staff to stay strong is to have a couple position coaches that could move up into the coordinator position to maybe take over. Stoops seemed to always have a coach that could move from a position coach into coordinator and they wouldn't miss a beat. Hopefully we can start to do stuff like that.

You can't argue that we haven't got something special going on. Ekeler got offered the DC job at USF and turned it down. I'm sure Marvin Sanders has at least got some phone calls. And I'm pretty sure Derek Dooley offered Carl the DC job at Tennessee when he got hired. Even Gilmore and Wats have got looks. I think they're just be waiting for BIG time gigs, or they genuinely want to work here, even if it's not as much as a HC or DC position

I would think that a few of our coaches will start to get looks after this next season. I think the key for our staff to stay strong is to have a couple position coaches that could move up into the coordinator position to maybe take over. Stoops seemed to always have a coach that could move from a position coach into coordinator and they wouldn't miss a beat. Hopefully we can start to do stuff like that.

That's a great point about Stoops' coaching staff. The trick would be to make any future coaching change a smooth transition for the next in line. You have to think Pelini & Osborne are scouring the landscape in college football right now to see what programs are doing things right so they can stay ahead of the curve and keep the continuity we all know & want - the continuity we lost with Pedersen.

That's a great point about Stoops' coaching staff. The trick would be to make any future coaching change a smooth transition for the next in line. You have to think Pelini & Osborne are scouring the landscape in college football right now to see what programs are doing things right so they can stay ahead of the curve and keep the continuity we all know & want - the continuity we lost with Pedersen.

huskers.jpg

i agree with a lot of what people are saying.. nebraska aint party central or a major market type deal so i think a lot of the coaches genuinly enjoy where they are at and what they are doing... the thing is though that everyone has a price and if the right price met the right oppurtunity it dont matter... guys would be gone...

sounds lame but you gotta pay if you want to keep a lot of the guys we are looking at losing.. and even then it might not make a difference if the position is a HC job or soe type of movemetn upwards.... its just reality

Actually, I think this is the #1 reason Stoops has lost his nickname Big Game Bob. When he started getting his assistants picked off, he was still able to perform well in the Big 12. However, he didn't fare to well on the big stage in BCS and NC games. As of late, he hasn't fared too well against Texas. I think Pete Carroll had the same thing happen while at USC. They were at their best when they kept their staff together. When assistants got picked off, they were a lot more vulnerable. The same can be said about KState when Snyder was there the first time. KState started to suffer when they had to break in a new DC every year.