Ganz Starting QB

Sirob X

My point was the guy knows his system so that's what he is going to coach. Period.

So then you're back to calling Coach Callahan a "one trick pony" Not very nice IMO. I think our Coach has been around football long enough that he knows more than the WCO.

On the bigger issue, I'm gonna watch all the coaches that are coaching new teams this year and see if they stubbornly try to implement their entire systems or if they fit their playcalling to their players -- both their physical skills and their mental ability to learn it all at once. I hope you'll do the same and then in January we'll know who is right!!!

*sigh* :frenchy

"Well jeez Dave, that's my point.

You said: " Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No." I submit that all Italian chefs are able to make steak and eggs, and all college football coaches should be able run WHATEVER offense gives their team the best chance of winning. Not exactly rocket science now is it? "

:dis 

Have you ever played football? running an offense to this magnitude is damned close to rocket science. and as easy as the option looked it was tough to get down. the timing and the precision of that pitch were insane and difficult to get down. gotta believe !!!

If you read my post you will see that the rocket science I referred to was a coach giving his team the best chance to win, not the WCO. The WCO is rocket science and that's a big part of the problem. As to the complexity of the option game, even though I've never played "organized" football, I watched the option evole at Nebraska since I've been watching the Huskers since the Bobfather.

Im not sure if you have ever played football, but for the skill positions, most offenses are tough to learn. Joe Ganz has never run an option in his life. He didnt run it in high school, he hasnt run it here, and they have about one week of practice left. Getting down the timing on the option is one of the most difficult things to do offensively, just ask Eric Crouch and Dan Alexander. The quarterback cant just start sprinting down the line, or he gets to far in front of the IB. I gaurantee that Ganz's first pitch would going sailing out of bounds if we were lucky and into the hands of the other team if we werent.

The option and the WCO are not really that different in terms of some of the basics. First of all, with both offenses it all revolves around the QB. In the option, the QB has to be extremely tough as they will take a lot of punishment. Also, the option requires a lot intelligence of when to pitch and when to take a beating. The WCO all revolves around the QB as well. The QB must also be very intelligent as to when to throw the pass and when to throw it away.

We didn't run Solich off and bring BC in to run the option, so quit thinking we will run a hybrid. BC was brought in because Pud, Pearlman, and the Board of Regents wanted "change". Well, they've got what they wanted because things have definitely changed. It's absurd to think we will evolve back to option football now that we've got the change. Now in a couple of years, the "powers that be" may decide they want another change. For now, we're locked into the WCO. I mean for Christ's sake, patience is a virtue.

I really don't want to see what the option would even look like with Taylor or Beck back there ambling down the line getting smacked by a DE while pitching the ball. One time of touching his helmet to his ankles backward, and our star recruit would be South Carolina bound!

You coach what you know. Callahan doesn't know the option game. He knows the WCO -- that's his background. Switching to something he doesn't know would without question reduce the chances for success. That would be like expecting Tom Osborne to switch to the WCO -- he had no background in it. To be successful, you got to coach what you know.

To say the WCO is too complicated, look at what USC is doing with it. Callahan has said the offense he is installing is very similar to the one USC is running. So I don't think it's the offense. I'm just not sure yet of the coaches, but I'm willing to wait and see if they are more than just great recruiters. I hope it's just a matter of having the bodies to run it.

It's maybe the most flexible offense out there. Proof? Colorado won the Big 12 in 2001 running the football 75-80 percent of the time in the WCO. It's an excellent run offense; it an excellent pass offense. It's a matter of having the coaching and the talent to run it.

Keep in mind that not only were the coaches installing a new system last year, many of those assistant coaches didn't know each other -- did you read the article in last Friday's edition of the OWH? You figure there was a strong possibility those coaches were not always on the same page. So if you combine installing a new system with coaches who were not communicating very well at times, you could see why a 5-6 record could happen.

The option will not be run as long as Callahan and Co. are here. Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No.

Are you calling Coach Callahan a "one trick pony"?

Uh, no. Unless the Italian chefs you know only know how to make chicken parmesan. :wtf

If Bill Callahan was capable of putting a team on the field that led the NFL in rushing, I don't see why he couldn't run the option or something like it, given that the personnel he'd inherited were all holdovers from the old regime. But that's a moot point. He could've won six or seven and gotten us to a bowl game if he'd done so, but he chose what he did... To our detriment. Yay, Bill.

The option will not be run as long as Callahan and Co. are here. Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No.

Are you calling Coach Callahan a "one trick pony"?

Uh, no. Unless the Italian chefs you know only know how to make chicken parmesan. :wtf

If Bill Callahan was capable of putting a team on the field that led the NFL in rushing, I don't see why he couldn't run the option or something like it, given that the personnel he'd inherited were all holdovers from the old regime. But that's a moot point. He could've won six or seven and gotten us to a bowl game if he'd done so, but he chose what he did... To our detriment. Yay, Bill.

I agree, I don't want to see that happen again this year. But alas I am afraid it is and we are all going to bend over and take it. We could really make some noise if we just use the players we have.