Guinness Can

Never knew what the deal was with the plastic ball in a guinness can. Thought I'd share

After cracking a refreshing can of Guinness, most of you have probably wondered, What is the deal with the little plastic ball floating around in cans of Guinness? Well, today you get your answer.

The little plastic ball called a “Widget” was first patented by the Guinness company years ago to add the right kind of head on their thick and creamy stout, which is less fizzy than regular lager beers like Bud Light.

When Guinness is canned the brewers add a shot of liquid nitrogen to help pressurize the can.

As the pressure in the can rises, compressed nitrogen and beer are forced into the sphere through a tiny pin sized hole.

When you open the can, the beer and compressed nitrogen within the sphere depressurize and are shot out into the beer. This disturbance causes the CO2 to bubble up which creates the foamy head at the top of the glass. The only thing left to do next is drink!

http://coedmagazine.com/2008/12/11/the-plastic-ball-in-guinness-cans-explained/

They put the same thing in the Draught bottles. I cracked one open late in the night and it totally threw me off. I thought someone was trying to poison me or something.

what's cool about the bottles is the shape of the widget. It's not a ball since they quickly realized that people who drink straight out of the bottle (I recommend pouring)...wouldn't get any beer out because the ball would clog the hole. So the widget in the bottle is shaped like a little airplane.

I've never been to Ireland - We all know the a-hole who tells us about how the Guinness is just so much better over there - but Guinness is much better at a bar from draught than even the "draught" or stout bottles whichever country you're in. It is a really big difference compared to most beers, which explains why the company went through the trouble to do this thing with the widgets.

I've never been to Ireland - We all know the a-hole who tells us about how the Guinness is just so much better over there - but Guinness is much better at a bar from draught than even the "draught" or stout bottles whichever country you're in. It is a really big difference compared to most beers, which explains why the company went through the trouble to do this thing with the widgets.

+1 And it's amazing how the draught difference is from bar to bar. I went to a sports bar on St. Patty's this year and ordered a Guinness. It was noticeably blah. Very little head and not very smooth. I then go to a local Irish pub a couple days later...and it was like a night/day difference.

The widget in the bottle:

3-1.jpg

And every once in a while you see one completely separated from any booze bottle/reference (like under the fridge when you're cleaning) and you say "What the hell is this thing!?! What were people doing in my kitchen?!" Then you remember - My Guinness!

What a strange little contraption.

+1 And it's amazing how the draught difference is from bar to bar. I went to a sports bar on St. Patty's this year and ordered a Guinness. It was noticeably blah. Very little head and not very smooth. I then go to a local Irish pub a couple days later...and it was like a night/day difference.

I think a lot of that depends on whether or not they do the company's recommended pour. The company (Diageo) says the double pour should take 119.53 seconds and be served at 42.8 degrees Farenheit. A lot of bartenders just want to pour your beer, get your money and move on. Can't say I blame them though.

I think a lot of that depends on whether or not they do the company's recommended pour. The company (Diageo) says the double pour should take 119.53 seconds and be served at 42.8 degrees Farenheit. A lot of bartenders just want to pour your beer, get your money and move on. Can't say I blame them though.

You are absolutely correct. Also, dirty beer lines can make some great beers taste bad. Brothers Bar is notorious for this.

You are absolutely correct. Also, dirty beer lines can make some great beers taste bad. Brothers Bar is notorious for this.

BINGO!

I worked as a bartender making my way through college and later as a manager. Poorly maintained draught equipment is the number one cause for poor quality of the product. Vendors used to hate my guts because I made them adhere to a strict maintenance schedule of their equipment.