British sniper dubbed 'The Silent Assassin' sets new sharp shooting record

A British soldier dubbed the Silent Assassin has broken a distance record after taking down two targets from a mile and a half away.

Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison, a British Army sniper, killed two Taliban machine gunners in Afghanistan from a distance of 8,120 feet, Sky News reported.

"The first round hit a machine gunner in the stomach and killed him outright. He went straight down and didn't move," the 35-year-old said of the incident, which took place in November 2009.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead."

Harrison was nearly 3,000 feet beyond the effective range of his British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle.

The powerful weapon is reportedly only effective up to 4,921 feet, the Daily Mail reported, which is less than a mile.

"Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," Harrison said, according to Sky News.

The father of one child from Gloucestershire in Southwest England pulled off the impressive shots while protecting his commanding officer and several Afghan soldiers, who were on patrol when they were attacked in the Helmand Province.

The sniper's shots broke a record previously held by Cpl. Rob Furlong, a Canadian Forces soldier, who in 2005 killed an Al Qaeda gunman from about 7,972 feet away.

Sgt. Brian Kremer of the United States Army held the record in 2004 with a shot in Iraq that struck its target from about 7,545 feet.

LINK

That's scary as hell and awesome at the same time! :hellloooo

Heckuva shooter.

Whenever I hear about snipers, I think of this thing. Talk about scary as hell and awesome. Good thing its controlled by a person.

I remember seeing a special about these around the same time as the Somali pirate incident. Crazy what our military can do. And this technology is several years old now.

I watched a documentary on this shot. Either the History or Discovery Channel. They also showed a shot by a US Sniper that took out two machine gunners who were behind a cinderblock wall. This Hero registered 12 kills that day and saved a US patrol that was pinned down in an Iraqi city. It was incredible.

post-4393-12730164449.jpg

No 72 virgins, just dead.

T_O_B