*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

How is everyone liking the chances of the US to beat Ghana?

Edit: This World Cup is the first time I've came close to watching soccer in about 15 years, so if you soccer guys could provide some stuff to watch for or anything I need to know about the match, that would be great. I actually plan on sitting down and watching this entire match.

I feel bad for Chile, a mixture of Julian Santiago, Marco Estrada, and Fernando Torres could keep them from going through

They have to score with ten men or hope that the Swiss can't put it together against Honduras

Although watching Chile play today maybe they should go home

I haven't seen so many rash tackles as this game has had

Ghana and the US are probably pretty evenly matched right now. The US should be a better team, but it's hard to credit them with that as they've been so inconsistent. Still, I have to give the US a better shot at winning this game.

A little history...the US was put out of the last WC by Ghana, and that certainly hasn't been forgotten.

Donovan is of course one to watch on the US side, but I would also keep an eye on Alditore. His work off the ball against Algeria was fantastic.

On the defensive side, the main thing to watch for is if our defenders keep focused the entire game. They have a tendency to fall asleep now and then and it has cost us in the past. We need to come out of the gate playing our best against Ghana and not slip back into the sluggishness we often show during the first 15 minutes.

I would add to Ebyl's post by saying look for Dempsey's involvement in the attack

If he is getting forward and getting shots on goal good things will happen for the US

Even when he doesn't cash in his chances like against Algeria he creates space when defenders have to watch him closely

Also Tim Howard's distribution can't be overstated enough, he can start breaks for the US with long throws

His throw to Donovan to start the goal break last match was excellent

Spain Defeats Chile 2-1; Wins Group On Goal Differential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB8vs06pqZU

Spain came out playing sloppy and looked to be following the same path of Italy. But a mistake by the Chilean keeper in the 24th minute allowed Villa to blast one into the net from 45 yards out. I don't know why the keeper came out that far...should have stayed on his line and let the defenders do their job. Spain looked completely relaxed from then on. Spain doubled their lead in the 37th minute when Iniesta slid one past the the keeper on his right side off a beautiful pass from Villa. Strangely, Marco Estrada was given his second yellow for an innocuous challenge on Fernando Torres, just clipping him. Chile then had to play 1 man down.

Chile scored right after the break in the 47th minute when Millar's shot ricocheted off Gerard Pique past Casillas...nothing Casillas could do about that. Once they realized Switzerland was not going to win the game, they were content to sit back and let Spain pass the ball for the remaining 20 minutes...very boring at the end

should be noted Torres looked shaky again...I don't know if we will see the real Fernando Torres this World Cup.

Brazil and Portugal Play To Goalless Draw 0-0

http://videos.sapo.pt/59ywDdjBKYH4Ei2lctbI

not much to say about this match...both knew they were advancing to the round of 16...they played it safe. Brazil wins the group and will face Chile. Portugal will face Spain.

2 quick notes: Brazil's Juan should have received an automatic red card for intentionally stopping the ball with his hand in the 24th minute, but was only given a yellow, even though Ronaldo was going to go on a fast break , 1-on-1 with the keeper. Melo should also have received a straight red (instead of a yellow) for intentionally obstructing Pepe in the 43rd minute. Melo looked like he was trying to set a screen, like in basketball. He wasn't even try to play the ball.