Texas might not be the team to beat in the Big 12 South . . .

OU should be the team to beat. They nearly beat Texas this year with Landry. How they managed to lose 5 games with a top 25 offense and a top 10 defense is pretty surprising when you think about. They'll have consistency next year without having to worry about 2 different QBs.

I think oklahoma loses maybe one game this year honestly. I think Oklahoma has a very good team with amazing talent they just need to step it up a little. I think Texas possibly loses 3 games this year with loses to Nebraska Oklahoma and A&m and maybe a fourth loss to a team they shouldn't lose to. I think Nebraska and Oklahoma meet in the CCG and play a close game to the finish and the winner goes to the National Championship.

Also, why all the hype for Texas to win the Big 12 again, I mean can some one answer that for me? They loss the two weapons on their offense.

That's not really fair logic...we lost arguably 3 of the top 5 weapons on our defense. And Texas reloads. If we think we're a top 10 team its really only fair to say UT will be also.

Also, why all the hype for Texas to win the Big 12 again, I mean can some one answer that for me? They loss the two weapons on their offense.

That's not really fair logic...we lost arguably 3 of the top 5 weapons on our defense. And Texas reloads. If we think we're a top 10 team its really only fair to say UT will be also.

But 3 of our top 5 players ond defense, were nobody's before this season, this just proves the fact the Pelini can coach these guys up. McCoy and Shipley were thats teams offense for 3 years. Its alot harder to replace those two versus Dillard, Asante, and Ohanlon.

• Fire 1
I'm not mathematician enough to delve too deeply into the sabremetrics involved in the Lucky/Unlucky blog.

What does the Society for American Baseball Research have to do with college football?

The blogger who did the calculations used a sabermetric-like formula. Says so in the comments.

Big difference between sabermetric and sabermetric-like ;)

Upon reading the blog about luck, it seems like he's heading towards a viable conclusion. However, it is hard to trust his research because he has so few information displayed and so few years in his database. If he continues compiling this statistic, it could very well be useful in analyzing college football. But right now, there's probably not enough information to call the dude right.

I think the luck, is a HUGE part. I mean that sometimes the ball bounces right back to the same player or out of bounds instead of to the opposing player or a ball gets tipped an falls to the ground instead of being picked off.

Just like some players have "it" when it comes to winning I think that sometimes luck, good or bad, plays a big part too.

We could go back and look at 1000 posts about the NU/ISU game this year and I bet that 75% of them say something about "luck".

I'm not mathematician enough to delve too deeply into the sabremetrics involved in the Lucky/Unlucky blog.

What does the Society for American Baseball Research have to do with college football?

The blogger who did the calculations used a sabermetric-like formula. Says so in the comments.

Big difference between sabermetric and sabermetric-like ;)

My apologies for using that phrase.

i dont get the A&M love, the same hype was there for them before last season and imo they failed. they will be lucky to get 7-8 wins.

I'm thinking the A&M love is due to the fact they have arguably the best QB in the conference with dual-threat Jerrod Johnson. And now the Aggies D is led by one of the best coordinators in the country - Tim DeRuyter. Check out these accolades highlighted on the Aggie site...

DeRuyter served the previous three years as the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at the Air Force Academy. DeRuyter added the title of associate coach in 2008 and 2009 at the Colorado Springs campus. This past season, the Falcon defense finished 11th in the NCAA in total defense allowing 288.31 yards per game. The Air Force pass defense was ranked 5th in the country allowing only 154.31 yards per game while the scoring defense was 10th in the land. The air defense intercepted 20 passes to rank 7th in the country and the overall defense caused 34 total turnovers to ranked 5th in the country. The stingy defense also allowed only 14.62 first downs per game to rank 4th in the NCAA statistics. The Falcon defense was 13th in the NCAA in third-down efficiency allowing teams to convert only 30.86 percent of the time.

Sure, it might take a little while before the Aggie D puts up numbers like AF did last year. But at the same time, it only took 3 years for DeRuyter to do that at AF, and now he's with the Aggies, whose talent & recruiting is far better.

i dont get the A&M love, the same hype was there for them before last season and imo they failed. they will be lucky to get 7-8 wins.

I'm thinking the A&M love is due to the fact they have arguably the best QB in the conference with dual-threat Jerrod Johnson. And now the Aggies D is led by one of the best coordinators in the country - Tim DeRuyter. Check out these accolades highlighted on the Aggie site...

DeRuyter served the previous three years as the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at the Air Force Academy. DeRuyter added the title of associate coach in 2008 and 2009 at the Colorado Springs campus. This past season, the Falcon defense finished 11th in the NCAA in total defense allowing 288.31 yards per game. The Air Force pass defense was ranked 5th in the country allowing only 154.31 yards per game while the scoring defense was 10th in the land. The air defense intercepted 20 passes to rank 7th in the country and the overall defense caused 34 total turnovers to ranked 5th in the country. The stingy defense also allowed only 14.62 first downs per game to rank 4th in the NCAA statistics. The Falcon defense was 13th in the NCAA in third-down efficiency allowing teams to convert only 30.86 percent of the time.

Sure, it might take a little while before the Aggie D puts up numbers like AF did last year. But at the same time, it only took 3 years for DeRuyter to do that at AF, and now he's with the Aggies, whose talent & recruiting is far better.

i cant see him as even the 3rd best qb in the conference, i mean you betcha they scored a lot against iowa state, ttech , and baylor but thats not exactly a huge accomplishment (yes i know we lost to two of those teams, still not a huge accomplishment). they only scored 23 points per game in their losses against good competion and the only time they were really dominant in conference was against ttech.

as for their defense, im sorry but building a defense at air force and building a defense in the big 12 are two entirely different things. he is a decent coordinator at the lower level but that doesnt mean he is one of the top defensive minds in the country. add to that the fact that he is swithching to a 3-4 defense which you really need time to recruit for because you use a different type of player in that system than you do in a conventional 4-3, so the odds of him making that a better defense this season are slim to none and they were horrible last season, ie giving up 62 to KSU.

count me in as someone that thinks they will be our easiest south team this season behind both OSU and texas. we win by no less than 3 scores if our offense is even minutely better.

i cant see him as even the 3rd best qb in the conference, i mean you betcha they scored a lot against iowa state, ttech , and baylor but thats not exactly a huge accomplishment (yes i know we lost to two of those teams, still not a huge accomplishment). they only scored 23 points per game in their losses against good competion and the only time they were really dominant in conference was against ttech.

as for their defense, im sorry but building a defense at air force and building a defense in the big 12 are two entirely different things. he is a decent coordinator at the lower level but that doesnt mean he is one of the top defensive minds in the country. add to that the fact that he is swithching to a 3-4 defense which you really need time to recruit for because you use a different type of player in that system than you do in a conventional 4-3, so the odds of him making that a better defense this season are slim to none and they were horrible last season, ie giving up 62 to KSU.

count me in as someone that thinks they will be our easiest south team this season behind both OSU and texas. we win by no less than 3 scores if our offense is even minutely better.

I like your thinking!

I completely agree about the 3-4 scheme, it takes a certain type of athlete at each level to play the 3-4. And right now I dont see A&M being anywhere close to being good on defense besides Von Miller.

And now the Aggies D is led by one of the best coordinators in the country - Tim DeRuyter. Check out these accolades highlighted on the Aggie site...

I think A&M's D is a couple years from being good. Whenever a QB runs by your DBs like they are standing still, it's a pretty big reason for concern.