McKewon: Why Not Nebraska?

Whether the summer of 2010 becomes a memorable one for Nebraska athletics - or just three hot months without competition -remains a question only time can answer.

What seems to be growing in the interim is a fruitless enmity between Nebraska followers and that giant bulwark at the southern tip of the league - Texas.

Husker fans read that UT is pursuing its own Longhorn Sports Network - as opposed to going all-in on a Big 12 Network - and paint Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds as a corporate villain who chooses to protect the interests of his own university over that of the league, some of whose members contribute, by comparison, quite little to the Big 12’s success.

It’s a Nebraskan impulse of charity, maybe. Or an ingrained distrust of UT, which shifted the locus of league control from Kansas City to Dallas, taking the Big 12’s football championship with it.

What those fans don’t see is Harvey Perlman’s perspective. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor insists, in his typically patient, measured tone, that Texas isn’t an enemy, but an ally - perhaps the ally - of Nebraska in the Big 12.

“There’s an undue concern about Texas,” Perlman said in an interview Monday. “Our programs probably are the two programs in the Big 12 that are the most alike. Our interests are probably the most aligned in terms of moving forward.”

The other thing Nebraska fans perhaps don’t appreciate? That, next to Texas, NU could be the Big 12 program to best start its own sports network, too.

“We’ve looked at it,” Perlman said.

It’s not exactly on the the athletic department’s front burner right now, and athletic director Tom Osborne declined comment. It’s an option at the far end of the table, at least several years away - but an option nonetheless.

Of course it is. Passionate in-state fan base. Equally passionate out-of-state fans. Pay-per-view buys of 40,000-50,000 for blowout Husker wins against also-ran foes. Alumni groups everywhere. Bars, thousands of miles from Lincoln, dedicated to all things Nebraska. Runza nights in Texas. Dorothy Lynch in Minnesota. A following at bowl games that shames most programs. Strong interest in volleyball and baseball, too.

“A pretty high percentage of television sets would turn on within the state of Nebraska and we have a sizable fan base around the country,” Perlman said. “One would have to look at that as a possibility. It’s not just about the money, either. It’s about bringing the sporting events to the fans. It has some recruiting advantages.”

Perlman is quick to add that it’s not a revelation, either.

“Realistically, it’s on everybody’s radar,” he said.

Most athletic departments of Nebraska’s size and financial strength - Forbes ranked NU’s football program fourth among its most valuable teams - are exploring the same options.

Husker fans may perceive Texas as a gluttonous renegade, but NU has a name, following and reputation much closer to the Longhorns than, say, Kansas State. Texas also provides a road map, using the IMG College- which also handles NU’s marketing - to partner up with cable networks.

“That’s the way media markets are moving - with more niche channels,” Perlman said.

A program like Missouri wants a piece of the Big Ten and, if not that, the formation of a Big 12 Network. A Mizzou Channel wouldn’t see the light of day on most of those fabled 7 million TV sets in the Show-Me State. Heck, neither would the Big Ten Network, if it comes to pass. And Missouri’s to blame for it, failing to give its fans, for two decades, a quality football product to enjoy. The sleeping giant dozed too long.

NU, on the other hand, delivers nationwide. The Huskers are currently sixth in the Learfield Sports Athletic Director's Cup race, tops in the Big 12. There’s a reason Nebraska mysteriously wins all those online voting contests. Husker fans care beyond reason. Certainly beyond the modest population within state borders.

The key to a network, in a word, is inventory. And perhaps whether football and men’s basketball could conceivably find its way onto the network.

“Having some football and some men’s basketball games would be very critical to its success,” Perlman said.

For football, it wouldn’t be easy. ABC, ESPN and Fox Sports Network gobble up the best games and could gobble up them all, especially if Nebraska vaults back into the national championship conversation on a yearly basis.

“You would probably never get the conference games or any of the bigger games,” Perlman said.

But lower-BCS and Division 1-AA foes? That’d be more likely.

Through 2012, games not chosen by ABC/ESPN/FSN become available as pay-per-view options through Fox Sports. The Huskers make a nice coin on those - north of $300,000, depending on the number of buys - but Fox retains most of the typical $29.95 fee.

When the Big 12 negotiates a new deal with Fox or some other network - which may, by then, be a joint partnership with the Pac-10 - could UT somehow set aside two or three non-conference games for its own sports network? And could a institution’s sports network co-exist with a Big 12 Network?

“Who sells what inventory?” Perlman asked rhetorically. “My preference would be whatever arrangement produced the best combination of penetration in the marketplace, revenue for schools and other opportunities.”

NU wouldn’t have to look far for broadcasting talent. HuskerVision is now in HD. IMG College has already put two years into the Longhorns Sports Network project.

Yes, clearly, there’s more pressing matters on the Husker agenda.

But if the summer passes quietly, NU fans shouldn’t forget to scroll their finger down to “new business.”

LINK

• Fire 1

There’s a reason Nebraska mysteriously wins all those online voting contests. Husker fans care beyond reason. Certainly beyond the modest population within state borders.

Bout time our work is getting noticed :lol:

Yeh, I love it when ESPN has polls and Husker fans tip the scales by voting in mass. It seems to piss off fans from the other schools. LOL

Whether the summer of 2010 becomes a memorable one for Nebraska athletics - or just three hot months without competition -remains a question only time can answer.

What seems to be growing in the interim is a fruitless enmity between Nebraska followers and that giant bulwark at the southern tip of the league - Texas.

Husker fans read that UT is pursuing its own Longhorn Sports Network - as opposed to going all-in on a Big 12 Network - and paint Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds as a corporate villain who chooses to protect the interests of his own university over that of the league, some of whose members contribute, by comparison, quite little to the Big 12’s success.

It’s a Nebraskan impulse of charity, maybe. Or an ingrained distrust of UT, which shifted the locus of league control from Kansas City to Dallas, taking the Big 12’s football championship with it.

What those fans don’t see is Harvey Perlman’s perspective. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor insists, in his typically patient, measured tone, that Texas isn’t an enemy, but an ally - perhaps the ally - of Nebraska in the Big 12.

“There’s an undue concern about Texas,” Perlman said in an interview Monday. “Our programs probably are the two programs in the Big 12 that are the most alike. Our interests are probably the most aligned in terms of moving forward.”

The other thing Nebraska fans perhaps don’t appreciate? That, next to Texas, NU could be the Big 12 program to best start its own sports network, too.

“We’ve looked at it,” Perlman said.

It’s not exactly on the the athletic department’s front burner right now, and athletic director Tom Osborne declined comment. It’s an option at the far end of the table, at least several years away - but an option nonetheless.

Of course it is. Passionate in-state fan base. Equally passionate out-of-state fans. Pay-per-view buys of 40,000-50,000 for blowout Husker wins against also-ran foes. Alumni groups everywhere. Bars, thousands of miles from Lincoln, dedicated to all things Nebraska. Runza nights in Texas. Dorothy Lynch in Minnesota. A following at bowl games that shames most programs. Strong interest in volleyball and baseball, too.

“A pretty high percentage of television sets would turn on within the state of Nebraska and we have a sizable fan base around the country,” Perlman said. “One would have to look at that as a possibility. It’s not just about the money, either. It’s about bringing the sporting events to the fans. It has some recruiting advantages.”

Perlman is quick to add that it’s not a revelation, either.

“Realistically, it’s on everybody’s radar,” he said.

Most athletic departments of Nebraska’s size and financial strength - Forbes ranked NU’s football program fourth among its most valuable teams - are exploring the same options.

Husker fans may perceive Texas as a gluttonous renegade, but NU has a name, following and reputation much closer to the Longhorns than, say, Kansas State. Texas also provides a road map, using the IMG College- which also handles NU’s marketing - to partner up with cable networks.

“That’s the way media markets are moving - with more niche channels,” Perlman said.

A program like Missouri wants a piece of the Big Ten and, if not that, the formation of a Big 12 Network. A Mizzou Channel wouldn’t see the light of day on most of those fabled 7 million TV sets in the Show-Me State. Heck, neither would the Big Ten Network, if it comes to pass. And Missouri’s to blame for it, failing to give its fans, for two decades, a quality football product to enjoy. The sleeping giant dozed too long.

NU, on the other hand, delivers nationwide. The Huskers are currently sixth in the Learfield Sports Athletic Director's Cup race, tops in the Big 12. There’s a reason Nebraska mysteriously wins all those online voting contests. Husker fans care beyond reason. Certainly beyond the modest population within state borders.

The key to a network, in a word, is inventory. And perhaps whether football and men’s basketball could conceivably find its way onto the network.

“Having some football and some men’s basketball games would be very critical to its success,” Perlman said.

For football, it wouldn’t be easy. ABC, ESPN and Fox Sports Network gobble up the best games and could gobble up them all, especially if Nebraska vaults back into the national championship conversation on a yearly basis.

“You would probably never get the conference games or any of the bigger games,” Perlman said.

But lower-BCS and Division 1-AA foes? That’d be more likely.

Through 2012, games not chosen by ABC/ESPN/FSN become available as pay-per-view options through Fox Sports. The Huskers make a nice coin on those - north of $300,000, depending on the number of buys - but Fox retains most of the typical $29.95 fee.

When the Big 12 negotiates a new deal with Fox or some other network - which may, by then, be a joint partnership with the Pac-10 - could UT somehow set aside two or three non-conference games for its own sports network? And could a institution’s sports network co-exist with a Big 12 Network?

“Who sells what inventory?” Perlman asked rhetorically. “My preference would be whatever arrangement produced the best combination of penetration in the marketplace, revenue for schools and other opportunities.”

NU wouldn’t have to look far for broadcasting talent. HuskerVision is now in HD. IMG College has already put two years into the Longhorns Sports Network project.

Yes, clearly, there’s more pressing matters on the Husker agenda.

But if the summer passes quietly, NU fans shouldn’t forget to scroll their finger down to “new business.”

LINK

Forbes has us at no. 4 in the link above. Pretty good company when you look at the list. NU can have its own network based on some of these numbers. I think Perlman needs to see a poll on how much support a NU Network would have and maybe he should move it up to the top of the task list.

There’s a reason Nebraska mysteriously wins all those online voting contests. Husker fans care beyond reason. Certainly beyond the modest population within state borders.

Bout time our work is getting noticed :lol:

Yeh, I love it when ESPN has polls and Husker fans tip the scales by voting in mass. It seems to piss off fans from the other schools. LOL

Pisses off fans from other schools and other ESPN commentators. Won't mention any names but......

Yeah heres one of my favorites were Herbstreit really crys about it

That video is an instant classic. I usually like Herbie but his dis-like for NU is troubling. I think NU fans should heckle him whenever possible.

The next gameday with NU someone should make a sign to heckle him with a sign saying NU 1995 had 82.5%!!! Screw him.

That would be classic

Theres another one where Corso is really whining about Suh winning the votes for Heisman. He says something like whats the whole state of Nebraska got nothing better to do then vote all day on their computers. Can't find the link.

That video is an instant classic. I usually like Herbie but his dis-like for NU is troubling. I think NU fans should heckle him whenever possible.

The next gameday with NU someone should make a sign to heckle him with a sign saying NU 1995 had 82.5%!!! Screw him.

In arguing that 1995 Nebraska team was not as good as Miami (2001) and USC (2004), he says "did Nebraska throw the ball that year" (or something along those line). As if, throwing the ball equates to how good your football team is. What a douche. LOL

I remember when Corso made that comment about Nebraska fans having nothing better to do than vote Suh for Heisman. That was earlier in the year when Suh didn't have nearly as much national recognition. The ESPN commentators had a love affair with the Tebow, Claussen and McCoy and couldn't understand how a defensive lineman could get a Heisman vote. They argued that the award should be for offensive players only. It turns out that Nebraska fans were right, Suh was the best player last year...#1 prospect in the draft.

It must bother the ESPN commentators that anytime they have a poll, the Husker fans are so loyal and diehard that the results will always favor the Nebraska teams. I just love hearing them whine. You wonder when they will quit having polls because of it.

God I love this video, makes me laugh every time. Herbie thinks that he knows about football and no one else.

Anyone else notice that Herbie has kinda toned down his anti-Nebraska rants since Bo took over?

God I love this video, makes me laugh every time. Herbie thinks that he knows about football and no one else.

Anyone else notice that Herbie has kinda toned down his anti-Nebraska rants since Bo took over?

I don't think he ever disliked Nebraska, he was just butthurt that his predictions weren't working out. but yeah him and bo are friends.

I don't think he ever disliked Nebraska, he was just butthurt that his predictions weren't working out.

This. Herbstreit has nothing against Nebraska.

I don't think he ever disliked Nebraska, he was just butthurt that his predictions weren't working out.

This. Herbstreit has nothing against Nebraska.

Poor choice of words on my part. Didn't mean to imply that he hated Nebraska. Just noticed that he seems to respect them more since Bo took over.