Pac-10 Gets OK to Expand

This is a pretty big story up here in Seattle. The local ESPN radio station spent the majority of the last two weekdays drooling over the media markets the PAC-16 would cover, given the recent TV problems of the PAC-10.

I do not think that they know the history of Texas and their conference troubles in the SWC and Big XII. The Texas PR department have definitely won so far in making Nebraska look like the bad guy in the whole expansion rumors.

This is a pretty big story up here in Seattle. The local ESPN radio station spent the majority of the last two weekdays drooling over the media markets the PAC-16 would cover, given the recent TV problems of the PAC-10.

I do not think that they know the history of Texas and their conference troubles in the SWC and Big XII. The Texas PR department have definitely won so far in making Nebraska look like the bad guy in the whole expansion rumors.

I'm really genuinely sorry for Washington (and all Pac10 fans for that matter) that they might have to deal with Texas' pretentious garbage...sorry guys, they're your problem now. <_<

I'm not getting too concerned over this report that the Pac-10 has the "OK to expand."

The Pac-10 has been wanting to form a TV alliance with the Big 12 for a while now. With Nebraska and Missouri leaving the Big 12, two large assets (Nebraska's national TV draw and Missouri's regional draw) are gone. So it's in the Pac-10's interest to keep the Big 12 intact.

I have no doubt that if the Big 10 formed a 16-team superconference that the SEC would follow suit, forcing the hand of the Pac-10 to merge or add teams or whatever. The Pac-10's motivation is two-fold - 1) it's better to lead than follow in this climate. Conferences who move quick could have the edge in adding the bigger names like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. So it behooves the Pac-10 not to sit on their duff and watch the action. 2) by rattling their saber like this, the Pac-10 could force the Big 12 to remain whole, quashing the Big 10's expansion efforts and maintaining the status quo in college football, while at the same time keeping their hopes of a TV merger alive.

Getting the OK to expand is like getting permission to try and get in Sweet Mary Jane's Daisy Dukes by her older brother. He won't beat you up, but you still have to convince Sweet Mary Jane that you're the love of her life - at least for one night. Unfortunately for the Pac-10, Sweet Mary Jane's daddy (the role of Sweet Mary Jane's daddy will be played by the Texas legislature this evening) has a shotgun, and he's got some stipulations that go along with conjugating with his daughter - namely, taking care of her ugly sister, Baylor. The Pac-10 has to weigh their options and decide whether Sweet Mary Jane's crown jewels are worth giving up your principles with a Baylor.

Easier said than done.

• Fire 1

And now the Big 10 has done the same - they're hurrying up with their timetable to expand. This cannot be a coincidence. It's starting to move faster and faster. I will be extremely surprised if the status quo is maintained, there is just too much going on for something not to happen.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/big-ten-meets-will-likely-speed-up-timetable.html

Get ready people, we're nearing the event horizon - the point of no return.