Mountain West decides not to expand -- right now

“So, the takeaway from these meetings is at this time, on June 7, they opted not to expand.”

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened here. Boise State was once the shiniest toy on the block, but with the potential of four Big 12 teams available, the Mountain West wanted to see if they could do better.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/22912/mountain-west-decides-not-to-expand-right-now

I'm sure they're just waiting for the big boys to make their moves first. If the Pac10 picks up 6 that leaves the Big12 in shambles, but then they could pick up some pieces like Kansas or KSU. Or maybe even, *gulp* Nebraska. I'd say they're doing it right, they know they're not exactly in a position of power right now.

Mountain West is in the definition of the "wait and see" approach. Their conference could significantly upgrade with the collapse of the Big 12 and possibly position itself to slide itself into Automatic Qualifying Status. I shall be doing this :snacks: for the next few weeks, to see what the heck is going to happen. The tremors we are feeling don't seem to be from the uncontrollable spewing of oil from the core of the earth, but from the seismic shifts in College Football as we currently know it and have known it for many, many years.

If the Pac-10 expands to 16 that'll set off a domino effect in which other conferences who intend to stay on top will have to expand. That'll include the Big 10, and we are very definitely on their "List of Five."

So if the Pac-10 absorbs the B12 South, we're just about guaranteed to go to the Big 10.

If the Pac-10 expands to 16 that'll set off a domino effect in which other conferences who intend to stay on top will have to expand. That'll include the Big 10, and we are very definitely on their "List of Five."

So if the Pac-10 absorbs the B12 South, we're just about guaranteed to go to the Big 10.

That's what concerns me. Because I don't think Texas wants to leave the land that they rule.

Joe Schad just made an interesting point on CFB Live. We're all talking about KU and KSU or whoever going to the MWC, what if the Big 12 losing the 6 and NU+MU don't get the Big 10 invite? Do WE try to purge the MWC?

As long as six teams remain, the Big 12 would retain their automatic BCS slot.

That's what concerns me. Because I don't think Texas wants to leave the land that they rule.

:yeah:hookerhorns:yeah

I believe the Pac-10 and MWC are taking a wait and see right now. Once the Big Ten announces their invites, it will be a free for all for the other conferences. The Pac 10 will act quickly, then ACC/SEC (if they do expand or realign), then the others. Then MWC will grap the leftovers within geographical area.

I just wish thing would get over with so we can start talking some football.

My guess if the SEC does expand they're first going to look at FSU and Miami and add in 2/3 of Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, or Clemson, and they'll have their 16. I'm guessing if that happens the Big East and ACC combine to get a conference that could still be considered an AQ. Wouldn't be surprised in that situation of the strong Basketball schools make up a conference for them, or what the Big East was proposing an all Catholic conference or Basketball only schools form their own conference.

In that situation the Big 10 would add ND, NU, MU, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, or another Big East team.

The Pac 16 includes all the Big XII schools besides Baylor (who would really benefit from being in a non-BCS conference athletically, probably not financially). Baylor and Iowa State go to the MWC, but I could see Kansas and K-State going to Conference USA (a better basketball conference), or they could go along with Baylor and Iowa State to the MWC. Who when they bring in Boise State will enhance their profile to become an AQ conference. (MWC could also poach Houston for the 16th team) I don't know the MWC is awfully close to being an AQ, and they've at least been as strong as the Big East in recent years.

So for the AQ conferences will be the Pac-16, MWC, Big 10(+6), an ACC/Big East merger, and the SEC. What the BCS does after everything settles, I don't know, but it's very likely some form of playoff comes from it.

My guess if the SEC does expand they're first going to look at FSU and Miami and add in 2/3 of Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, or Clemson, and they'll have their 16. I'm guessing if that happens the Big East and ACC combine to get a conference that could still be considered an AQ. Wouldn't be surprised in that situation of the strong Basketball schools make up a conference for them, or what the Big East was proposing an all Catholic conference or Basketball only schools form their own conference.

In that situation the Big 10 would add ND, NU, MU, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, or another Big East team.

The Pac 16 includes all the Big XII schools besides Baylor (who would really benefit from being in a non-BCS conference athletically, probably not financially). Baylor and Iowa State go to the MWC, but I could see Kansas and K-State going to Conference USA (a better basketball conference), or they could go along with Baylor and Iowa State to the MWC. Who when they bring in Boise State will enhance their profile to become an AQ conference. (MWC could also poach Houston for the 16th team) I don't know the MWC is awfully close to being an AQ, and they've at least been as strong as the Big East in recent years.

So for the AQ conferences will be the Pac-16, MWC, Big 10(+6), an ACC/Big East merger, and the SEC. What the BCS does after everything settles, I don't know, but it's very likely some form of playoff comes from it.

MWC/ Boise thing is kinda interseting. MWC invites Boise and then says, "uhh were waiting now." To me I guess it means that MWC is now making calls to the Big 12 leftovers. Then when this all goes down the MWC will be ready with their teams (CU, KState, Boise, KU, ISU). Making it a 14 team AQ conference, which is exactly what they want. So that way they all get invited together and nobody has their feelings hurt by getting invited last.

This is for sure though, Boise is going to MWC no question about that.