Osborne has NU on path to Big Ten

It's definitely lack of seeing the big picture. Most of the people unhappy with the move focus on football, and specifically the Big 10's perceived strength at this moment. It's a case of not being able to see past your nose - all thoughts are about the here and now, this moment in time. People have discussed Michigan as being "weak" and the conference overall as weak.

Oddly, in those same threads you'll find people saying we can't compete in the Big 10 - basically saying it's a weak football conference, but we're not good enough to be successful, despite the fact that we just competed in our own conference's championship game and came damned close to winning. Clearly these arguments aren't based on much logic, but a lot of emotion.

Further, I have yet to see a poster who is against this move address the economic benefits to Nebraska, both in BTN money and CIC grants. And nobody at all is discussing how the cooperative nature of the CIC will necessarily benefit Nebraska academically.

While there are arguments against joining, they're not well-thought-out and they're mostly based on emotion, and adherence to the past.

Understood, and thanks for sharing. I highlighted "cooperative", because I believe this is the most simplistic, yet complete descriptive of the Big Ten. In all things, it's a cooperative. The success of the Big Ten academically and athletically comes from the universities being unified. I would think that that would be a selling point to a program that feels like a lesser presently.

I would say its a fear of going into the unknown. Sure there are risks, but i would say it is riskier to stay in a doomed conference. Its time to look out for #1 and I believe our program is to stable to faulter no matter where we end up. The Big10 will make us gobbs of money, I can only imagine what we are going to be able to do with an extra 20-30 million a year.

I would imagine that there would be an explosion of facilities/renovations in quick order.

Wasn't Delany's announcement just two or three week ago? I am thinking this started must have started behind closed doors long ago. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I am curious. Is it possible that Dr. Tom, fed up with Texas's bullying, planted the seed that started all of the reallignment chain of events? You know in the end, Dr. Tom will always win. I very much admire how he plays his hand.

Delany's initial public announcement regarding expansion was in December. He has stated recently that there were talks within prior to that.

Re: TO's role, I would say that most (if not all) administrators and universities outside of the Big Ten had a very small role in bringing about Big Ten expansion. The Big Ten brass are very methodical, and don't take steps like this lightly.

2/3 or more of Huskers want to join the Big Ten. It is the best scenario and I am glad we appear very close now. There will be many great rivalries,

ALOT of money, and we are a solid fit. Very happy to be joining a strong, coherent and stable conference. :cheers

I would say that the vast majority of Buckeyes that I know support this opportunity strongly as well. :thumbs

2/3 or more of Huskers want to join the Big Ten. It is the best scenario and I am glad we appear very close now. There will be many great rivalries,

ALOT of money, and we are a solid fit. Very happy to be joining a strong, coherent and stable conference. :cheers

I would say that the vast majority of Buckeyes that I know support this opportunity strongly as well. :thumbs

What seems to be the overall consensus among all the B10 schools about the possible expansion?

I would say its a fear of going into the unknown. Sure there are risks, but i would say it is riskier to stay in a doomed conference. Its time to look out for #1 and I believe our program is to stable to faulter no matter where we end up. The Big10 will make us gobbs of money, I can only imagine what we are going to be able to do with an extra 20-30 million a year.

I would imagine that there would be an explosion of facilities/renovations in quick order.

It's funny you mention that, because Nebraska is breaking ground very soon on a large research campus just north of the downtown campus, on what was Nebraska's old State Fair grounds. This project has been in the works for about three years, which makes me wonder if Nebraska to the Big 10 hasn't been thought about on a purely hypothetical basis for quite a while.

What seems to be the overall consensus among all the B10 schools about the possible expansion?

As far as I can tell, it's a moddled bag. Admittedly, I only frequent BuckeyePlanet.com; however, there are minor elements of other Big Ten fans that show up. Within the Buckeye faithful, there are those who hate the idea, because of potential destruction to tradition. Having tOSU play Michigan for the last game of the year holds a LOT of value. However, there are the other two levels: acquiescence and then full-on acceptance. I believe that the vast majority looks forward to expansion. We believe/hope that our administration continues to operate in a manner that is beneficial to all. Just like when the BTN was launched, it was with cautious reserve that we hoped would extend the brand name and bring in the revenue. To Delany's credit, the BTN has blown up and is a major reason why expansion talks are occurring. Thus, we're willing to give him the benefit of the deal to build his legacy even more. Couple this with the fact that our Chancellors and Presidents quite possible are second to none, they will only move in what benefits the Big Ten in all facets. I would say that IF Nebraska has been offerred, then it is a valued and highly lauded organization that should feel esteemed, honored, and humbled by the offer.

Did I answer your question?

It's funny you mention that, because Nebraska is breaking ground very soon on a large research campus just north of the downtown campus, on what was Nebraska's old State Fair grounds. This project has been in the works for about three years, which makes me wonder if Nebraska to the Big 10 hasn't been thought about on a purely hypothetical basis for quite a while.

It's my understanding that NU is well beyond ND when it comes to graduate/research facilities. Thus, if the ND academics get their wish of Big Ten admittance to buoy their programs; then I would imagine that it can only help NU as well. As far as whether the support for NU's present work was establishing a ground work for Big Ten admittance, I would probably say no. However, any time that a university with NU's abilities decides to increase their facilities, it would make them attractive to suitors that may or may not include the Big Ten.

This takes me into a neophyte understanding of the CIC. One point that most people don't realize (because I had not clue) is that the CIC is a cooperative not just in sharing funding, but also allows students from said schools to study at the other schools as well. It's a complete sharing philosophically and physically.

It's my understanding that NU is well beyond ND when it comes to graduate/research facilities. Thus, if the ND academics get their wish of Big Ten admittance to buoy their programs; then I would imagine that it can only help NU as well. As far as whether the support for NU's present work was establishing a ground work for Big Ten admittance, I would probably say no. However, any time that a university with NU's abilities decides to increase their facilities, it would make them attractive to suitors that may or may not include the Big Ten.

This takes me into a neophyte understanding of the CIC. One point that most people don't realize (because I had not clue) is that the CIC is a cooperative not just in sharing funding, but also allows students from said schools to study at the other schools as well. It's a complete sharing philosophically and physically.

Yes, the CIC is a total sharing of academic knowledge and resources. Over 100 students a year take advantage of the ability to transfer without penalty from one CIC school to another to further their research. Michigan is undertaking a project right now that will allow access to their entire library of books to every CIC member electronically, and the plan is to extend that electronic library to the whole conference eventually.

Penn State is a great example of what can happen when you get plugged in to the CIC. They went from an OK school, around on par with where Nebraska is now, to a top-15 school today. That's the kind of planning for the future that Perlman and Osborne are working on for Nebraska.

Most people don't know about this guy, but he's pretty much pimped out our research at the University.

http://research.unl.edu/prembio.shtml

He's started the upswing which has us in the First Tier university-wise and with a CIC affiliation should have us catching up to the Institutions in the Big Ten. Arguably, the Irish who have such high academics as they believe are not the kind of research institution that Nebraska is becoming.

Yes, the CIC is a total sharing of academic knowledge and resources. Over 100 students a year take advantage of the ability to transfer without penalty from one CIC school to another to further their research. Michigan is undertaking a project right now that will allow access to their entire library of books to every CIC member electronically, and the plan is to extend that electronic library to the whole conference eventually.

Penn State is a great example of what can happen when you get plugged in to the CIC. They went from an OK school, around on par with where Nebraska is now, to a top-15 school today. That's the kind of planning for the future that Perlman and Osborne are working on for Nebraska.

All true. Too bad it didn't improve the overall-ness of Penn State. They're still a bunch of _______s! :D

So if there is a linebacker at OS that wants to come to NU to further his research on covering backs on a wheel route . . .

I hate how everything is about money, the world would be a better place without money. And how is the Big 12 such a doomed conference? I don't think we are doing that bad.

The fact that 3 schools in the north want to leave and Texass does nothing but threaten them and give the ultimatums tells me this conference is doomed.