Soccer vr Drying Paint

Sokker FTW. :corndance

Seriously, it's a great sport if you understand the strategy of it. I would imagine that watching football would suck if you didn't comprehend the strategy of or weren't even aware of the existence of a specific formation.

yeah, it was really hard explaining first downs. there is a lot of nuance i never really noticed in football.

I played soccer for ten years, and I understand the strategy of it. I have also watched some of the big teams play, such as Brazil and Spain, but I still find it the least desirable sport to watch. I respect the fact that a lot of people enjoy it, but it just doesn't seem like it's for me. The fact that it's an acting game of flops really bothers me also.

Good to see your post AR, seems like you're not around as much as you used to be.

T_O_B

corndancer.gifcheers.gifcorndancer.gif

No, I haven't. Work commitments have me traveling quite a bit, and it's tough to get on. But we've got a great set of Mods to keep things going smoothly, and even better, we have GREAT members that keep the site humming.

Good to see your post AR, seems like you're not around as much as you used to be.

T_O_B

No, I haven't. Work commitments have me traveling quite a bit, and it's tough to get on. But we've got a great set of Mods to keep things going smoothly, and even better, we have GREAT members that keep the site humming.

If you ever get to Sioux Falls, SD dinner and adult beverages are on me.

T_O_B

T_O_B

If you ever get to Sioux Falls, SD dinner and adult beverages are on me.

T_O_B

thumbsup.gif

screw all of the haters lol. soccer is the sh#t. i love watching USA play soccer as much as i love watching the huskers. the amount of skill it takes to manipulate the ball with just your feet, thighs, chest, and head is incredible. it's called the beautiful game for a reason.

I've been trying to watch this World Cup and even with the US in the match I must admit its been hard. The cnstant drone of the noise makers in the background has only added to the irratation. I therefore decided to perform a scientific test. I hooked up my heart monitor and monitored it for a half hour while watching the futbol. I then went into the garage and painted a piece of plywood. I then again monitored my heart for a half hour. Results ----- there were several spikes while watching the paint dry and only one minor spike when the Limey goalie fumbled the ball in for a US goal. I could only imagine soccer without the US being good for one thing ----- a cure for insomnia.

T_O_B

:cheers:bonez:cheers

That's because the USA isn't that good. If you actually followed soccer, maybe you would know that. think soccer is boring? Watch Spain and Brazil when their games are on...

I will give Spain and Brazil a try. I'll tape it and use it to put me to sleep. The only reason soccer is popular throughout the world is that you only need a ball, a pair of sneakers and a pair of shorts to play it. The World Cup - once every 4 years - susposed to be a huge - HUGE - thing and they don't have a way to settle a tie???????????? :wtf "Hey guys, we managed to squeek out a tie! The first rounds on me. Let's Party." I say :bs: .

T_O_B

can't please everyone... :dunno

i really wish i enjoyed soccer. a lot of my friends love it and even love the fifa video games (over NCAA football video games, crazy, i know) but i have just never been able to get into it. maybe if i understood the strategy a little more i would enjoy it. but to me it is just a bunch of dudes running and chasing a ball, it is probably less confusing than football (my turkish roommate in college could not figure out football for the life of him).

Having tried to teach people just the basics of football I'd say its the most complicated sport out there

I too had a foreign roommate in college (Saudi Arabia) and breaking it down is very difficult

I'd guess that's why its not more popular outside of North America

i really wish i enjoyed soccer. a lot of my friends love it and even love the fifa video games (over NCAA football video games, crazy, i know) but i have just never been able to get into it. maybe if i understood the strategy a little more i would enjoy it. but to me it is just a bunch of dudes running and chasing a ball, it is probably less confusing than football (my turkish roommate in college could not figure out football for the life of him).

Having tried to teach people just the basics of football I'd say its the most complicated sport out there

I too had a foreign roommate in college (Saudi Arabia) and breaking it down is very difficult

I'd guess that's why its not more popular outside of North America

Don't worry, Callahan got us used to things that were "too complicated". <_<

About the horns...

They Might Be Banned (LINK)

Good news! :)

A follow up article saying they won't be banned:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-we-wont-silence-vuvuzelas-pledge-world-cup--fbintl_reu-worldvuvuzelas_pix.html

I don't think they should be banned. Whenever I watch a soccer match I just expect to hear them. They're part of the atmosphere at the game. I'd be like if Memorial Stadium decided to make a rule that no one could stand up during football games...or if the GO BIG RED cheer was banned. Or how about not letting fans scream when the opponent's offense was on the field.

About the horns...

They Might Be Banned (LINK)

Good news! :)

A follow up article saying they won't be banned:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-we-wont-silence-vuvuzelas-pledge-world-cup--fbintl_reu-worldvuvuzelas_pix.html

I don't think they should be banned. Whenever I watch a soccer match I just expect to hear them. They're part of the atmosphere at the game. I'd be like if Memorial Stadium decided to make a rule that no one could stand up during football games...or if the GO BIG RED cheer was banned. Or how about not letting fans scream when the opponent's offense was on the field.

To the general thread: I've been watching quite a bit of the world cup the past few days, and to be honest––and completely to my surprise––I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I don't see the game the way I see football because of the time investment, but when you start to grasp some of the strategies, substitutions, etc., it really becomes more enjoyable. And if the teams in question are actually scoring from time to time, so much the better. (Another advantage of football: defense is as fun as offense to watch).

About the negligent bee keeper, I mean horns, ban them and ban them now. They're not atmosphere, they're not anything. They're not a chant. They're not a part of the game. They're just noise, noise, noise, NOISE!!!!

grinch3.jpg

If they were blown by one team when the other team was doing something they needed to be distracted from, THEN it would be a part of the game. This is just irritating, and I hope they get rid of them soon because it looks like they're having trouble filling seats, and this is a part of the reason.