How much will this cost the Huskers?

According to one story I read, the Huskers will have to give the remaining 10 teams roughly $8 million for ducking out of the league in one year. I think it was 90% of their share of Big 12 revenue, which was only $9 million because of all the pay per view games. When it looked like the whole thing was falling apart, I didn't think NU would have to pay, because the Big 12 would be gone, and there'd be nobody to pay. Now I'm not so sure.

Other random thoughts, now that the Big 12-2 is sticking together. Where was Dan Beebe last week with this big TV deal?

Jerry World will be empty for all those Big 12-2 CCGs that won't be happening. That's a nice thought.

And finally, I now have a degree from a Big 10 institution!

According to one story I read, the Huskers will have to give the remaining 10 teams roughly $8 million for ducking out of the league in one year. I think it was 90% of their share of Big 12 revenue, which was only $9 million because of all the pay per view games. When it looked like the whole thing was falling apart, I didn't think NU would have to pay, because the Big 12 would be gone, and there'd be nobody to pay. Now I'm not so sure.

Other random thoughts, now that the Big 12-2 is sticking together. Where was Dan Beebe last week with this big TV deal?

Jerry World will be empty for all those Big 12-2 CCGs that won't be happening. That's a nice thought.

And finally, I now have a degree from a Big 10 institution!

Sure it is a lot but will make it up over time being in the Big 10.

exactly - mizery and the whole south division announced they had another offer. then they cut a new deal 3 days after we leave, doubling their revenue? i think there's more than enough to work with for some good lawyers. we should probably get a chunk of the new tv money too

Per the bylaws NU would owe 80% of the final 2 years of revenue. Which would mean probably about 16-18 million.

However, the Big Ten presser said we would get "no less than we would in the Big 12" when we start. I would love it if Texas just got us a refund by NU showing the Big Ten we could have cleared 14-17 million per year in the Big 12.

One would think that having the conference put down an ultimatum on membership would have done something to at least partially void the penalty. Very absurd. The penalty is for teams that chose to leave without more than a year's warning, yet the conference forced them to make their announcement early. I don't get it.

Short term? Very little.

Long term? We will be making an insane amount more.

From what I have read and understand, the B12's new TV contract will be for 18 years and will not be re-negotiable over the life of this contract. Which means these teams at the bottom of the conference will be locked into horrid amounts of money while we in the B10 will likely have negotiated 2 new TV deals before theirs is up. The B10's current deal is up in just 6 years, so we will be making a little bit more money in a few years. :)

And I doubt we pay the full amount in penalty for leaving the B12. I would almost bet that will be tested in court, and will likely be settled for less than the bylaw states.