Red River Shootout moved to end of season?

Rumor floating around on soonerfans.com (courtesy of Chip Brown) is that the Red River Shootout will be moved to the last game of the season and be played in Jerry's World instead of the Cotton Bowl. More evidence of Texas' influence? Possibly

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142369

i guess it will be their version of a conference championship game. to bad the whole conference will then be irrelevant for a whole month before bowl games start.

Not sure why this one is really a sign of Texas influence. Jerry's house is still in the Dallas metroplex, a few miles closer to Austin than Norman at most. As far as it being end of the season, I don't see how it helps or hurts one team over the other. It'll be a psuedo Big 12 championship, but the loser will probably be out of a BCS bowl with no time to recover.

Also, both teams already have rivalry games (Mayhem and the A&M game) at the end of the season. And I think they signed a contract for a few more years at the Cotton Bowl. Another Chip Brown fable, I think.

Not sure why this one is really a sign of Texas influence. Jerry's house is still in the Dallas metroplex, a few miles closer to Austin than Norman at most. As far as it being end of the season, I don't see how it helps or hurts one team over the other. It'll be a psuedo Big 12 championship, but the loser will probably be out of a BCS bowl with no time to recover.

Also, both teams already have rivalry games (Mayhem and the A&M game) at the end of the season. And I think they signed a contract for a few more years at the Cotton Bowl. Another Chip Brown fable, I think.

OU-TX game brings a lot of revenue to the Texas State Fair which is going around in October. When the game moves it will really hurt Dallas. The game may still be in the Metroplex but it's also another 1 hour drive to Jerry's house. Lately though K-State has had Texas number so they have that to contend with.

All this Texas stuff just makes me naucious. If it hadn't been for the Big 8 where would they be? The SWAC was Ka-put and the

Big 8 threw them a rescue line. Not only that but they hadn't been that good for a number of years. This Red River shoot out thing should now be athing of the past. For OU to have to play UT eve3ry year in what is basically a Texas home game is riduculous.

T_O_B

:bonez

It won't because of the tradition, Texas St Fair, established rivalry games at the end of the year

unless

Texas gets an additional $1.24 and a coupon to What-a-burger and they are GONE

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

omg...

:rollin :rollin :rollin

hehe....hehe....

a coupon to What-a-burger...haha

It wont leave the cotton bowl...part of their upgrades a few years ago was locking the rivalry into a long term deal. I KNOW I read that somewhere...can anyone help?

According to Wikipedia

Red River Rivalry

Texas and Oklahoma agreed in 2006 to keep their game at the Cotton Bowl through 2010, but the future of the series remained in doubt. In February 2007, the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic announced it would move to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington in 2010. The game receives a subsidy of $700,000 from the city of Dallas, which will end when the game moves out of Dallas.

In April 2007, Miller announced that Texas and Oklahoma have agreed to keep the game at Fair Park through 2015. The deal increases payouts to the two schools from $250,000 to $850,000, funded in part by the savings from the end of the Cotton Bowl Classic's grant. The stadium has now been renovated with a new video scoreboard, new seats, and many other improvements. Its capacity has been increased to more than 90,000 due to the addition of surrounding upper decks in both end zones.

Additionally, these upgrades we're completed in the hopes of the Cotton Bowl becoming a BCS Bowl, I believe.