Which NU QB will fair best in Big Ten?

ESPY

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Cody because he will get some valuable playing time this year and progress nicely. When 2011 comes he will be ready to go, plus the way the offense is changing we are not going to ask him to win the game with his arm.

I went with Martinez, who's also bound to get some valuable PT this year. And since you make the point we won't need to rely on Green's arm to win in the Big 10, then why the heck wouldn't you put Martinez, a superior runner with incredible quickness & speed, behind center instead? If you think we don't need Green's arm to win, then I think it can be reasoned we won't need Martinez' arm to win.

Here's the other side - we will need the passing game to succeed b/c we need to keep those Big Ten run defenses honest. Even though our running attack appears to be picking up steam again, we are not the Huskers of the 90s. We need to be able to pass as well as we run (sound familiar?) & if that's the case, I still think Martinez is the man. Green is only a slightly better passer at this point, but Martinez is definitely serviceable. IMO the two things that will ultimately set Martinez apart & make him the better QB are his decision-making & speed. He's an X factor & from what I've seen he's makes quicker decisions & better judgments than Green. That's huge for a QB in this & any other league.

And yes, I am & have always sipped at least a tad of the haterade on Green. I'm just not wild about the guy. He has a lot to prove & I'm not sold b/c he hasn't proven it yet.

just a hunch but ive got a feeling mr martinez is going to explode onto the scene in the Big10/12.

i really want to see green do well, he's had a lot of pressure put on him to be THE GUY, i mean for real this kid was a true frosh last year, give him a little bit of a chance. with a little more time getting comfortable behind the center i think he has all the right stuff to be a good maybe great college QB.

however you just cant keep an athlete of taylor's caliber off the field, that kid is a playmaker

Just spitballing, probably the qb that the coaches pick to start. I think they have a rough idea who is the best playa.

who knows what the current crop looks like by 2011. Hell, by then they could start someone no one has even heard of.

like a juco transfer.

Nothing would excite me more than if Martinez developed into an adequate passer, but I don't see him surpassing Green. We need a scrambling QB not a scrambler who can heave it up every now and then.

i agree with gmoose. but most of this thread has been ridiculous. people saying, 'green has not proved anything' or worse, 'green has showed anything to prove he can get the job down', all the while talking up martinez... what has martinez down?

here is a truth bomb... neither has shown anything. from what we have seen we can not determine that green will not develop into an adequate qb, or that matinez will not be up for the challenge. here is what we have seen; martinez in a red/white game (i remember joe daily looking pretty good in those) and green being thrown in when the huskers had no chance to win, or inside the 5 agains OU (and a good half and a bad half against baylor). these two need to learn the system and get some pt before we can make any judgments. i really do not care, and probably should have avoided this thread, but people are too high on martinez and too hard on green.

i am sure i will get plenty of responses to the effect of, "this is a message board, it is what we do." so here is the summation of what i am saying; i am all for discussing qb's but give them both chances to succeed and fail first.

and here are some :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: so you won't attack this post. (one "N" per championship)

true that martinez has only done average in one spring game,

but if you watched him you know that he showed flashes of why people are talking about him. im not saying he's the next coming. im just saying that he could develop into a crouch-esque type of playmaker. as of right now, he is def not mature enough or poised enough to be the starter. 2 more years and we will see

i don't get what everyone hates about green...i watched the kid come into the tech game when we were down, second play they went deep, he stepped up out of pressure and heaved one hell of a 30 yard pass, hit currenski over the safety only to have him drop the ball...wasn't his fault the receiver couldn't catch...i know he has some hiccups, but i still think he can be one hell of a talented football player...

These are all fair assessments. Don't get me wrong - we can't rule out anybody at this point b/c they all have lots to prove before leading this offense.

Earlier sd'sker made the point that Green got thrown into a sour situation last season as a true frosh. I completely agree. At the same time, he got thrown into a sour situation as a frosh . I honestly think Green's experience last season was a huge detriment to his development & confidence moving forward. Some people can handle being thrown into the fire, but most can't. I really hope he's one of those who can handle it all & become the QB we need. I just can't help but think we ruined him by electing not to redshirt him.

true that martinez has only done average in one spring game,

but if you watched him you know that he showed flashes of why people are talking about him. im not saying he's the next coming. im just saying that he could develop into a crouch-esque type of playmaker. as of right now, he is def not mature enough or poised enough to be the starter. 2 more years and we will see

i completely agree, and i think this is a good discussion, but there is no reason to through anyone under the bus yet. i just don't see why people who like martinez has to be hard on green. i mean, it is enough to say, "martinez will be a better fit because he can run, and even though he might have a weak arm, his play making ability will allow him to succeed." but whenever people say something like that, they always through in a, 'and green is worthless.' (or something like that). you can like one without hating the other, and neither have done much to elicit either emotion. this is all about their perceived strengths and possible potential.

also, i really agree with ESPY, he seemed to have a few bad downs, and that really seemed to rattle him. he needs confidence. that is probably what the baylor game was about, but he may not have been ready. hopefully the coaches get them better prepared so either can lead the team, and then we'll see who is better.