QB recruiting hypothetical

Was thinking of our 2011 QB recruiting situation as it stands at the moment. Our chances with Bubba Starling are 50/50 heading into tomorrow (Fri. 6/18). Cameron Coffman has also mentioned that he's high on NU as well. With that in mind, let's assume Bubba does commit to NU at the end of June, then if it were up to me, I'd still go after Coffman too.

It might look crazy having three QB's in one recruiting class, but not when there's a good possibility that Bubba Starling might not even make it to campus due to the MLB draft next summer. In which case Coffman would fill that 2nd QB spot for the 2011 class along with Turner. On the flipside, if Bubba decided to skip the MLB draft and focus on college, then we could just recruit one QB from the 2012 class or none at all and still be good.

Bear in mind that we lose Zac Lee and LaTravis Washington next year.

What say you?

2011 QB's (*w/ hypotheticals)

Cody Green

Kody Spano

Taylor Martinez

Ron Kellogg

Brion Carnes

Jamal Turner

*Bubba Starling

*Cameron Coffman

You can never have too many of these guys, especially when there are options and question marks for a good deal of them.

Of those guys listed above, Taylor Martinez and Jamal Turner could play elsewhere on either side of the ball because of their athleticism. I could see Taylor and Jamal playing a Percy Harvin type role on offense since they're both quite good with their feet. Of course both would do equally well in various Wildcat formations too.

I think the staff will like having that kind of depth with options, especially when some of those players could contribute at other positions. Needless to say it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

You can never have too many of these guys, especially when there are options and question marks for a good deal of them.

Of those guys listed above, Taylor Martinez and Jamal Turner could play elsewhere on either side of the ball because of their athleticism. I could see Taylor and Jamal playing a Percy Harvin type role on offense since they're both quite good with their feet. Of course both would do equally well in various Wildcat formations too.

I think the staff will like having that kind of depth with options, especially when some of those players could contribute at other positions. Needless to say it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

i think you might be able to pull that off with TM but i think JT is pretty set on QB and i dont thin he would want to be placed anywhere else..... its QB or bust with that guy

i think you might be able to pull that off with TM but i think JT is pretty set on QB and i dont thin he would want to be placed anywhere else..... its QB or bust with that guy

A couple months ago in a Scout article he mentioned that he talked to Watson about being willing to play at another position if it meant getting early playing time. He said he just wants to play and help the team out in whatever way possible. Therefore he made it clear that he's open to other positions other than QB.

Doesn't mean that he's not focusing on being a QB, but at least he's open to other possibilities.

Right now, it's Bubba or bust for the other QB spot in this class. Doubtful Coffman would get an offer any time soon regardless of what Bubba does.

But if Bubba comes, and actually gets to campus, you will see Jamal moved around to get the kids athleticism on the field. Would be crazy not to have a playmaker like Jamal in some capacity when we lack guys like him on our team right now.

IMO stop at Bubba and not try to predict the outcome of the draft. If he signs assume he's going to play. The main thing that worries me about having 3 QB's in this class is transfers...and the increased likelyhood that someone like Carnes might end up at Western Kentucky because things are becoming increasingly crowded. I might change my mind after seeing Coffman's senior season, but as of right now I'm not that high on Coffman, and don't think we need 3 dual threat QB's this year.

I'd rather see T-Mart stay at QB than bring in a yet another question mark at the position. At least T-Mart has a couple of years in the system. I still have high hopes for him at QB. (probably one of the few)

Regarless, it surprises me that with all of our recent struggles to recruit QB's...we have 3 quality players with us at/near the top of the lists this early. Good sign for sure.

A couple months ago in a Scout article he mentioned that he talked to Watson about being willing to play at another position if it meant getting early playing time. He said he just wants to play and help the team out in whatever way possible. Therefore he made it clear that he's open to other positions other than QB.

Doesn't mean that he's not focusing on being a QB, but at least he's open to other possibilities.

wow i didnt' know that.... this guy is just sooo committed to Nebraska... i really hope he has a SUh type career (hype accolades.. awards.. success etc...) the guy is sooo down with nebraska... love it

:bigredn:

wow i didnt' know that.... this guy is just sooo committed to Nebraska... i really hope he has a SUh type career (hype accolades.. awards.. success etc...) the guy is sooo down with nebraska... love it

:bigredn:

Right now, it's Bubba or bust for the other QB spot in this class. Doubtful Coffman would get an offer any time soon regardless of what Bubba does.

But if Bubba comes, and actually gets to campus, you will see Jamal moved around to get the kids athleticism on the field. Would be crazy not to have a playmaker like Jamal in some capacity when we lack guys like him on our team right now.

Assuming Bubba does make it to campus, where do you see Turner being utilized? What about Martinez?

Assuming Bubba does make it to campus, where do you see Turner being utilized? What about Martinez?

Right now if Bubba comes and actually makes it, Jamal will almost definitely be used more at WR in the slot, and may line up in the wildcat. With Bubba, it gives us the chance to use Turner's athleticism in places where we have very few playmakers at WR. Honestly, we don't have a single guy on our team right now who is as quick and electric with the ball as Jamal is.

With Taylor - who the heck knows. Some offensive coaches like him at WR, some like his potential at QB. All I know is that they love him in the wildcat for this season and he will almost definitely see time there. As far as being an actual passing QB, guy still has a LONG ways to go.