*** Official Soccer Sucks Thread ***

I say we settle this thread now :koolaid2:

1) Soccer sucks to those of us on here who have stated as much. Not a lot that anybody can do about it. Sure, we'll all read each other's positions, but we're both pretty set in our ways.

2)We all love Nebraska football, so let's remember that. :bigredn:

I'll tell you what, if soccer was half as physical as a lot of players pretend it is with all of the dives and fake injuries, it would be the roughest sport on the planet. But it's not. Some of those guys are pathetic, like the Ivory Coast guy who drew the red card on Kaka. I give credit to the announcers though, they are calling him out.

Yeah, this is one thing that annoys me a fair amount. However, I would point out that the "flops" aren't limited to soccer. Basketball can get pretty ridiculous in that regard too and I have seen alot of faking in football too.

Yeah, but if a basketball player flops on a charge, he doesn't roll around on the ground like he's in his death throes, only to be revived by a magic sponge (and the appearance of a yellow card given to the attacker) and continue like nothing happens.

Basketball has it's own problem in that the penalty for a foul is enough of a reward for the fouling team that it's used way too much to get the ball back. Between that and time outs, the last 2 minutes of a basketball game can be almost unbearable to watch.

Can't think of too many faking situations in football, just that on most passes a receiver is either complaining about being interfered with or the DB arguing against the PI flag.

I'll tell you what, if soccer was half as physical as a lot of players pretend it is with all of the dives and fake injuries, it would be the roughest sport on the planet. But it's not. Some of those guys are pathetic, like the Ivory Coast guy who drew the red card on Kaka. I give credit to the announcers though, they are calling him out.

Yeah, this is one thing that annoys me a fair amount. However, I would point out that the "flops" aren't limited to soccer. Basketball can get pretty ridiculous in that regard too and I have seen alot of faking in football too.

My buddies and I were talking about this during this past weekend. We came to the conclusion that it must be an international thing. Soccer and international BB players are some of the worst floppers...see Pau Gasol...

They do it in soccer because it gives them an advantage. The nature of the game makes it worthwhile, especially in the offensive third of the field.

Though it would never happen, I wish they would setup a system in club and international play where you're heavily fined for each dive or exaggeration. Took a dive in a game? Oops, you're out $50,000. Even better would be if teams refused to even hire people like Ronaldo on the basis of them being little bitches. Neither of those would happen, of course, but it would make a huge difference if either ever did.

They do it in soccer because it gives them an advantage. The nature of the game makes it worthwhile, especially in the offensive third of the field.

Though it would never happen, I wish they would setup a system in club and international play where you're heavily fined for each dive or exaggeration. Took a dive in a game? Oops, you're out $50,000. Even better would be if teams refused to even hire people like Ronaldo on the basis of them being little bitches. Neither of those would happen, of course, but it would make a huge difference if either ever did.

$50,000 is pretty low for these guys.

I think auto red cards - which are actually given on flagrant dives I think - are the best deterrent. But when it's all up to the referee seeing it or not, that's hard to enforce.

$50,000 is pretty low for these guys.

I think auto red cards - which are actually given on flagrant dives I think - are the best deterrent. But when it's all up to the referee seeing it or not, that's hard to enforce.

Erm, some of these guys are diving every single game. $50k per game adds up fast. Besides, the actual dollar value wasn't the point, good lord.

Edit - The reason the fines idea is better is because it can be more accurately enforced after games. Replay is your friend then and a body of officials could hand out fines. People would bitch and moan for a while, but the dives would rapidly dry up.

Personally, I don't like watching soccer, but I refuse to put down others that do.

I think it might be better if the players had sticks,

and the ball was smaller

and the players were women

hot looking women

without clothes

Hmm, naked field hockey! I'd watch that even if every game ended in a nil-nil tie

Erm, some of these guys are diving every single game. $50k per game adds up fast. Besides, the actual dollar value wasn't the point, good lord.

Edit - The reason the fines idea is better is because it can be more accurately enforced after games. Replay is your friend then and a body of officials could hand out fines. People would bitch and moan for a while, but the dives would rapidly dry up.

Yeah, I'll agree with that.

Watched the USA vs. Ghana match and came away unimpressed. Talk about a total snoozefest.

Ghana scores early on, then I get treated to 30 extra minutes of Ghana players flopping on the ground faking injuries, clearly to break any kind of momentum the USA team would mount to try to get the ball on the net. Well at least the media can put the "How soccer is catching on in the US" stories on mothballs for another four years, or since the same team has beaten us in consecutive Cups, they can print stories on how far US Soccer has fallen behind Ghana.

Forgive me, but I think I'll take a pass next time.

Watched the USA vs. Ghana match and came away unimpressed. Talk about a total snoozefest.

Ghana scores early on, then I get treated to 30 extra minutes of Ghana players flopping on the ground faking injuries, clearly to break any kind of momentum the USA team would mount to try to get the ball on the net. Well at least the media can put the "How soccer is catching on in the US" stories on mothballs for another four years, or since the same team has beaten us in consecutive Cups, they can print stories on how far US Soccer has fallen behind Ghana.

Forgive me, but I think I'll take a pass next time.

Agreed, that game was rather pathetic.

But, I must admit that I watched the entire England vs. Germany game, and I thought that was soccer at it's best. A lot of goals, a lot of interesting action, and there wasn't a lot of injury crap.