Brock Lesnar makes fun of Carwin

Apathy

Lesnar fan here. I can totally see why some people hate him, but don't hate him because he acted out against Mir, he's a bigger d-bag than Brock. Carwin is another story, great guy so I can't defend Lesnar there lol. But I can also see where Brock is coming from, he's had to deal with this "interim" title holder deal at his own division his whole career. Why not use the #1 contender title instead?

By the way, I love his last comment: If you don't weigh 265 lbs thats your own **** fault.

The jovial Lesnar is a shock to the system

By Steve Cofield

He's the most polarizing man in the history of mixed martial arts. And Brock Lesnar's only been in the ring/cage five times. The impact of Lesnar's fighting style, image and attitude has been amazing. His performance and postfight antics at UFC 100 opened up a heated debate about the way a fighter should carry himself. Before previous fights, Lesnar has consistently trashed talk about his opponents and been cantankerous with the media.

Apparently, that's all changed after his near-death experience with diverticulitis. Listening to the new Lesnar yesterday's UFC 116 conference call was a bit jaw-dropping.

"I laid in the hospital bed for over two weeks without any food in my body. I lost 42 pounds," said Lesnar, who used to walk around at roughly 290 pounds. "I felt like I was on my deathbed. I was very sick. This illness, it kills a lot of people. At the time, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to fight again. I thought I was going have to have major surgery and have part of my colon removed. That would've been a two-year process for me to even come back."

Lesnar, who generally approached life in three different states - grumpy, pissed off or agitated - has a new outlook.

"You realize that there's nothing more important in life than your family. You really find out who your friends are. To wake up everyday being on all them drugs, yeah, you definitely take a different approach on life. I really like I'm a cat with nine lives. I've got about eight left," chuckled Lesnar.

Lesnar is excited by the simple things.

"Just to get into the Octagon. There's very few places in this world where you can just lay it on line. For me, that's exciting. Yes, I'm very humbled."

Lesnar was 99-percent complimentary about his opponent next week Shane Carwin. He even joked that the only advantage Carwin will have in the fight is that he's a better looking.

"It's a great day. I'm done with training today. I'm going home to my family. I'm almost done with training camp. It's just a good day to be alive," said Lesnar, when asked why he wasn't his old surly self. "It's a good day to be alive!"

The question now is - how long will this last? We've all been around people who claim to have experienced life-altering moments and then a year later they go back to being the same person. And from the fight promotion standpoint does the UFC like the new, happy Lesnar? More importantly, are fight fans going to flock to see the more benign Lesnar? It's all to be determind in the next 18 months or so.

Yahoo! Link

There's a video with that link too.

I don't think Brock was making fun of Carwin, really. The interim title is just that: interim. Brock is technically the true champion right now. And the part about Carwin only being a "weekend warrior" is true too. If Carwin keeps his job and only trains part time, it'll catch up with him eventually. I think Brock only acts like a schmuck when he thinks it's necessary. Before his last fight, Mir was talking a lot of trash, that would piss me off too. If Brock says anything bad about Carwin, it's only to sell tickets. Brock knows how to promote fights, the guy promoted pretend fighting for years. A fight will sell better if there is a good guy and a bad guy, versus a fight between 2 good guys.

I read an article about Brock last year before he fought Mir. He spends almost all of his time training, with his family, or working on his farm out in the boonies of Minnesota/North Dakota.

I don't think Brock was making fun of Carwin, really. The interim title is just that: interim. Brock is technically the true champion right now. And the part about Carwin only being a "weekend warrior" is true too. If Carwin keeps his job and only trains part time, it'll catch up with him eventually. I think Brock only acts like a schmuck when he thinks it's necessary. Before his last fight, Mir was talking a lot of trash, that would piss me off too. If Brock says anything bad about Carwin, it's only to sell tickets. Brock knows how to promote fights, the guy promoted pretend fighting for years. A fight will sell better if there is a good guy and a bad guy, versus a fight between 2 good guys.

I read an article about Brock last year before he fought Mir. He spends almost all of his time training, with his family, or working on his farm out in the boonies of Minnesota/North Dakota.

Good post but I disagree. Carwin as a "Weekend Warrior" may be true but it must be working if he's knocking people out in the first round including ex Heavyweight Champion Mir where it took Lesnar 2 rounds to beat. Brock doesn't need to talk trash about Carwin to sell tickets, this fight is already selling tickets without it because of Lesnar being in the WWE and now his UFC career and Carwins ability to KO people in the 1st round. Fans want to see knockouts and Carwin has giving the fans that his last 4 fights and the fans are willing to pay to see it again.

Brock may or may not be talking trash just to sell tickets but the guy is a total tool. I was rooting for Lesnar against Mir but the antics that he made after the fight is something that the UFC isn't about and kicking a guy when he's already down giving the UFC a bad name. Brock flipped off the UFC fans who paid $50-$2,000 to see the fight, approached a beaten and fatigued Mir talking more trash while pressing his body up against Mir's and then basically telling Bud Light a major sponser in the UFC to F off and that he's going to drink a Coors Light. This isn't what the UFC is all about and there are other major fighters who can't stand each other but once the fight is over they approach each other hug/hand shake and tell each other good fight.

Dana White didn't appreciate Brocks antics after his UFC 100 fight with Mir and approached Lesnar in his locker room and gave him an ear full. Sure its one thing to talk trash in the pre fight interviews but to do the type of antics right after the fight is another thing and showed his true character. I can see if Brock did those antics to help promote the UFC more and give it a bigger name but the UFC was already a huge name way before UFC 100 PPV and its already expanding WORLDWIDE and ESPN has been covering all of the post PPV fight highlights on Sportscenter before UFC 100.

During the interview Brock says that Carwin stood there in the ring holding the fake title and said that was the greatest moment in Carwins life and Brock said "If thats his greatest moment in his life that he feels sorry for him." Seriously.....Brock didn't fight a ton of fighters and work his way to get a title shot...he fought 2 fighters, Frank Mir and Heath Herring losing to Mir his first fight and then fighting Herring. After getting a Decision against Herring he fought against Couture for the belt. Carwin was a no name guy coming into the UFC and knocking everybody out in the first round where Lesnar came in as a HUGE name and was basically handed a title shot without earning it.

Lesnar approached Carwin after the Mir fight and told Carwin that he was wearing a fake belt and Carwin stayed calm and classy and said "You're right but I'm coming for it."

I see what you're saying, but all those little things like that add to the hype. Even people who don't watch or don't like MMA are talking about the fight. Things like that are only going to add to PPV buys. I even had a guy from work today ask me about Lesnar. He only remembered him from WWE and thought he was a dick and made a mistake by leaving the WWE for less money (I don't know where he got that info).

As far as the post-fight antics after Brock beat Mir, I don't know. If someone had been talking that much crap about me and then I beat his face in, I'd go tell him about it too. The Bud Light and flipping off the crowd thing was a bit much, but adrenaline does crazy stuff to some people, especially crazy people.

And about Shane's record, I'm not really impressed. He's had 2 good KO's against upper-tier guys, but the rest are pretty questionable. 7 are from small, local promotions against guys no one knew, knows now, or will ever remember. Sherman Pendergarst? That guy has a terrible record and has gone 1-9 since he fought Carwin. Shane's first 2 UFC wins were over a guy on the brink of retirement (only 1 more fight after Carwin) and a guy who looked like Butterbean's mini-me and his only UFC fight was against Shane and then he was released.

All of that said, I'm really stoked for this fight. I don't think Shane is going to get a KO in the first round, and neither will Brock. I'm betting it turns into somewhat of a wrestling match that is long overdue from their college days.

(Side note: I saw that Chris Leben might be replacing Wanderlei (rib injury) for the card. Leben just fought on the TUF Finale against Aaron Simpson. The Nevada State Athletic Commission apparently cleared him to fight since he didn't sustain much damage. Crazy if you ask me.)

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, if you want to see some crazy sh!t talking, check out Chael Sonnen's Twitter account. He must be smoking some good stuff to come up with that nonsense. That said, I hope he pounds Anderson Silva into spider dust.

And about Shane's record, I'm not really impressed. He's had 2 good KO's against upper-tier guys, but the rest are pretty questionable. 7 are from small, local promotions against guys no one knew, knows now, or will ever remember. Sherman Pendergarst? That guy has a terrible record and has gone 1-9 since he fought Carwin. Shane's first 2 UFC wins were over a guy on the brink of retirement (only 1 more fight after Carwin) and a guy who looked like Butterbean's mini-me and his only UFC fight was against Shane and then he was released.

So Brock Lesnars fight records are better than Carwin. Heath Herring isn't even a good fighter....dude lost to Jake O'Brien and Brock beat a 45 year old Couture who weighed 40+ pounds less than Lesnar. Nothing against Couture but with Brocks size, speed, and athleticism that was just too much for Couture and his aged body not to mention Couture switches weight divisions too and that can take a toll on a persons body. Carwin did fight 7 fighters in no name league but the dude has made a name for himself and nobody really gave him a shot at beating Gonzaga and Mir. All the hype leading up to the Carwin/Mir fight was how much muscle Mir gained and how he was focused on beating Carwin so he could face Lesnar again and his impressive knockout against Big Nog. Carwin man handled Mir the whole fight and didn't give Mir hardly any shots.

I rooted for Lesnar when he fought Mir both times and Herring but his antics during his UFC 100 winn and how he thinks he's the best Heavyweight in the world is laughable. I don't Carwin is the best Heavyweight in the world but I would put Carwin and Lesnar in the top 5.

I won't disagree that Lesnar's record is any more impressive. It's definitely not any less either. I still think they gave him a title shot WAY too early. I'm interested in seeing if the cage can handle that much meat being thrown up against the fence.

Interesting that you mentioned Couture and his weight class bouncing. I honestly think they're going to have to make another division between Light Heavy and Heavyweight. 60 pounds is too big of difference. Some guys have too big of a frame to cut to 205 and be effective, but are still to small to compete with huge guys like a Lesnar or Carwin. Frank Mir even said he was thinking about dropping to Light Heavy because he can't compete with those big heavyweight guys.

Frank Mir even said he was thinking about dropping to Light Heavy because he can't compete with those big heavyweight guys.

Thats very interesting and if true could make the light heavyweight even a tougher weight class. All and all I rooted for Brock until UFC 100 but time will till if Brock learned from that and will win me back :lol:

Also with the Leban taken Wanderlai's place thats freakin crazy because he just fought this past Saturday and will only have less than 2 weeks to prepare for this fight. I hope Wanderlai fights because I like watching his fights and his fighting style.

Good discussion GSG5545

• Fire 1

Wow...I didn't realize that Brock is apparently a damn good fighter. I know he's only been in five total matches, but he's 4-1 and Heavyweight Champion? I may start watching UFC more with him as champion...I know alot about him, his WWE and college days. The dude doesn't like to lose, is a loose cannon, and isn't afraid to tell people what he is thinking. That's why many in the WWE did not like him backstage.

So, for those who know, when does he fight next? Is this event on PPV only? Is UFC ever on TV? How often do they hold events?

Oh, and the whole thing about having an interim champion and Brock being the "real" champion; WWE could not have written a better storyline. Seriously.

Wow...I didn't realize that Brock is apparently a damn good fighter. I know he's only been in five total matches, but he's 4-1 and Heavyweight Champion? I may start watching UFC more with him as champion...I know alot about him, his WWE and college days. The dude doesn't like to lose, is a loose cannon, and isn't afraid to tell people what he is thinking. That's why many in the WWE did not like him backstage.

So, for those who know, when does he fight next? July 3rd, MGM Grand in Vegas. Is this event on PPV only? Yes, but I've heard there are ways around that. Is UFC ever on TV? They just had a free show last Saturday for the finals of their reality show/competition. They've also started showing live events on Versus with smaller name guys. How often do they hold events? Seems like there is one every 3-4 weeks at least.

Oh, and the whole thing about having an interim champion and Brock being the "real" champion; WWE could not have written a better storyline. Seriously. I know! :lol:

Frank Mir even said he was thinking about dropping to Light Heavy because he can't compete with those big heavyweight guys.

Thats very interesting and if true could make the light heavyweight even a tougher weight class. All and all I rooted for Brock until UFC 100 but time will till if Brock learned from that and will win me back :lol:

Also with the Leban taken Wanderlai's place thats freakin crazy because he just fought this past Saturday and will only have less than 2 weeks to prepare for this fight. I hope Wanderlai fights because I like watching his fights and his fighting style.

Good discussion GSG5545

Right on brother! :cheers MMA is quickly becoming my second favorite sport to watch behind football, so I'm always down for MMA talk!

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, if you want to see some crazy sh!t talking, check out Chael Sonnen's Twitter account. He must be smoking some good stuff to come up with that nonsense. That said, I hope he pounds Anderson Silva into spider dust.

Chael Sonnen cracks me up. He claimed its not his twitter account though at a recent UFC fan expo. He's a pretty funny dude. May not be his twitte account, but he sure is talking a lot of smack on Silva. I recommend watching his UFC fan expo video on ufc.com if its still there.