Issue of Team chemistry: Fixed

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/0...ad417615267.txt

Some members of the Blackshirts were recently asked the No. 1 reason they believe Nebraska will have an improved defense this season.

Nobody first mentioned better athletes, more depth, different schemes, more zone coverage, another year in the system, pressuring the quarterback or forcing more turnovers.

The bit above reminded me of a thread on another board last April. Several posters argued that, b/c 3 Blackshirts were drafted in the top 40 picks of the NFL Draft, it was undeniable proof that the Defense was overflowing with talent, and Cosgrove's schemes were the only problem. not just a problem, but THE lone problem. and that Cosgrove should be fired b/c of it.

Many of the same posters absolutely refused to entertain the idea (brought forth by rumors and later by actual quotes from the players) that some of these guys did not play to the best of their abilities and therefore the TEAM suffered.

somehow I doubt articles even like this one will change their minds to at least be open to the possibility that Cosgrove was not the only problem last year- and that Bo Pelini is, in fact, not a god.

Cosgrove may very well have had bad schemes, but how could we really tell when some of the players apparently weren't playing his actual schemes anyway?

I admit I'm not the biggest Cosgrove fan, but I'm also willing to cut the guy a little slack and see what he can do beyond only one problem-plagued season.

It is a cleansing of this program. For the players to admit to all that there were problems is good. It will open the door for conversation between them if there are problems this year. I think the worst is past and we are moving forward with a great staff and most importantly what seems to be a real team bonding together.

I love reading that all the Blackshirts are on the same page. I'm also glad that Coz was man enough to know he made some mistakes last year and worked in the off season to correct them. We should see much improved play from the defense. I can't wait to see the first turnover or sack this year. Throw up the Bones and the three fingers it's time for the Blackshirts to come BACK. Crap when that first note of Back in Black starts on Saturday I hope the place goes nuts.

As much as I want to believe this 100%, I will wait till the season is well underway and we face adveristy. I'm not being negative, just cautious :blink:

I agree with you Eric, it seems as if the attitude has shifted dramatically, so who knows how they will handle a tough loss. However, I am confident that these guys are gonna hold it together and play well. A turnaround in this program(or any for that matter) all starts with attitude. This team seems to have a great attitude right now.

As much as I want to believe this 100%, I will wait till the season is well underway and we face adveristy.  I'm not being negative, just cautious :blink:

I agree with you Eric, it seems as if the attitude has shifted dramatically, so who knows how they will handle a tough loss. However, I am confident that these guys are gonna hold it together and play well. A turnaround in this program(or any for that matter) all starts with attitude. This team seems to have a great attitude right now.

One thing in their favor, at least, is the schedule is one that allows them to develop some confidence and chemistry on-field, so that by the time a real test comes along, they may be ready.

On HuskerNside the video interviews many of the younger players said all the older players jumped right in to help them learn the plays, techniques, etc. Sounds like the chemistry is improving. If it relates on the field to Blackshirt DOMINATION then GBR.

:thumbs:cheers

I think that there are two wonderful things to be taken from this article, one tangible and one not. The players regaining a sense of unity and pride is the intangible one and is something that is so powerful that no amount of talent can overcome not having it. I am so glad that at least the players, if not all the fans, seem to believe in themselves again. The tangible thing may be just as important, and that is Cosgrove having enough of a sense of responsibility and a lack of ego to admit that he can improve, and making a conscience effort to do so by getting help from others and doing whatever it takes, even at the expense of his own philosophies, to be a winner. I think that that part of it will even spill over into the first part. Players love one thing more than anything else, and that is winning, and when coaches do whatever it takes to win, even when it means losing something of their own, that can only create more unity between not only the players, but between coaches and between coaches an players. GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosgrove may very well have had bad schemes, but how could we really tell when some of the players apparently weren't playing his actual schemes anyway?

I admit I'm not the biggest Cosgrove fan, but I'm also willing to cut the guy a little slack and see what he can do beyond only one problem-plagued season.

I'm sorry but if everybody wasn't on the same page, isn't it the responsibility of the coach to make sure everyone understands what the coaches want. I'm not putting all the blame on Cosgrove, maybe some criticism should have been directed at the defensive captains from last year. After all they might have a better understanding of who bought into the system and who didn't. This year I hope the Blackshirts will at least keep us in some games, becuase another loss like Texas Tech and heads are going to roll.

When you have two of the best players on the team working against the coaching staff it is pretty hard to correct the problem. With no talent to replace those two players ready to play you have to grin and bare it. This will not happen again. I will not buy the story if it is put out again. I know there were real problems with both sides of the ball. Too many changes in too short of a time. That is under the bridge. I think this year if we have a problem child, he will be benched and quickly.

Some members of the Blackshirts were recently asked the No. 1 reason they believe Nebraska will have an improved defense this season.

Nobody first mentioned better athletes, more depth, different schemes, more zone coverage, another year in the system, pressuring the quarterback or forcing more turnovers.

The bit above reminded me of a thread on another board last April. Several posters argued that, b/c 3 Blackshirts were drafted in the top 40 picks of the NFL Draft, it was undeniable proof that the Defense was overflowing with talent, and Cosgrove's schemes were the only problem. not just a problem, but THE lone problem. and that Cosgrove should be fired b/c of it.

Many of the same posters absolutely refused to entertain the idea (brought forth by rumors and later by actual quotes from the players) that some of these guys did not play to the best of their abilities and therefore the TEAM suffered.

somehow I doubt articles even like this one will change their minds to at least be open to the possibility that Cosgrove was not the only problem last year- and that Bo Pelini is, in fact, not a god.

I knew this at the Southern Miss game last year when I cant remember which corner got beat but ALSO Josh Bullocks for that deep touchdown pass. With the secondary except for the other Bullocks #14 it went down hill from there. Because they didnt buy into the system. Except for one of them who still is here.

I'm sorry but if everybody wasn't on the same page, isn't it the responsibility of the coach to make sure everyone understands what the coaches want. I'm not putting all the blame on Cosgrove, maybe some criticism should have been directed at the defensive captains from last year. After all they might have a better understanding of who bought into the system and who didn't. This year I hope the Blackshirts will at least keep us in some games, becuase another loss like Texas Tech and heads are going to roll.

you're right, it is the coaches responsibility. but as skers pointed out- who was going to replace these guys? Benching them (as one plausable action) may have only caused more problems, more rifts.

what actions could Coz have taken against them that wouldn't have only poured salt into the wound?

Now this year, the talk is as if there is no more wound of dissent. And hopefully they- the players AND the coaches- can keep it that way.

I'd say there's not much point arguing about what our defense did last year. As far as Coz goes.. I think the jury is still out. Looks like he's revamped some schemes and throwing in a bit more zone, and our players seem to have much better attitudes than last year. We heard about disgruntled players right and left last year, and now the ones who wanted to have left... so that should help. I say let's see how it goes. At the end of this year we should have a better grasp of whether or not we should kick the coz to te curb or not.

On a side note.. i get to go to the game saturday. GBR!!!

Zone mix D+

Regular pressure on QB +

Adjustments =

Coz gets it, we win more games.

Constant man D+

No pressure on QB +

2nd half = 1st half =

More of last year.

Any ???...it will be that simple. I'm holding out hope Cosgrove can grasp this...because I believe NU has the talent to develop a nice defensive core as the season progresses...if it is allowed to.