Beware the hype

Remeber all of the hype on Suh before the 2009 season began? I didn't buy into the hype and I was pleasantly surprised. I am not buying into any of the hype for this season either....

that's right joe...we really aren't that good...um, be skeptical...um...go huskers

what is wrong hyping something it the perceived expectation are proportionate to the results? we should revisit this hype issue at the end of the year and see if it was deserved or not. i do not think hype is bad if performance matches expectations. (e.g. LeBron James... a lot of hype, he lived up to it, was it really hype then?).

Given the realignment I think the hype needs to be brought down a notch. The con doesn't like us and won't want us leaving as con champs. Teams will be out to get us and I honestly doubt the games will be called down the middle.

:yeah but at the same time i think we will also be out to get teams in the Big XII (try to beat everyone one last time) Bri9ng it on Big 12-2 :box

Given the realignment I think the hype needs to be brought down a notch. The con doesn't like us and won't want us leaving as con champs. Teams will be out to get us and I honestly doubt the games will be called down the middle.

:yeah but at the same time i think we will also be out to get teams in the Big XII (try to beat everyone one last time) Bri9ng it on Big 12-2 :box

I think everybody will be watching the officating really close this year. If Nebraska gets in BCS contention, I wonder if the officating will change??? Will the calls come our way or will we have a number of phantom calls to try and prevent us from winning the Big 12 Championship.

the officials of the Big 8+4-2 are professionals, we will not lose a single game because of refs, we never have and we never will.

Ive never blame losing a game on the officals. BUT, their were some games last year (TTech,Texas and even ARKState) that the officating was down right pathetic.

the officials of the Big 8+4-2 are professionals, we will not lose a single game because of refs, we never have and we never will.

Ive never blame losing a game on the officals. BUT, their were some games last year (TTech,Texas and even ARKState) that the officating was down right pathetic.

i would never argue with that, i would say games are not lost by officials, but they have been won by officials.

i just posted that as an excuse to write Big 8+4-2.

I think everybody will be watching the officating really close this year. If Nebraska gets in BCS contention, I wonder if the officating will change??? Will the calls come our way or will we have a number of phantom calls to try and prevent us from winning the Big 12 Championship.

Definitely hope OU wins the RRS this season. If Texas is undefeated when they hit Lincoln they're more likely to be protected. Also, the CCG is in Jerryland again. Texan refs in front of a Texan crowd in our last appearance in the 12 has screwjob potential. If we can stay undefeated a while maybe we start getting better calls, they might back-off if we can make the con some $$. Two undefeateds in the CCG means big things, including a near automatic 12 slot in the national champsionship.

have you seen the penn st video...or the following play after he catches the ball out of bounds...i think not

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

100% correct.

Seeing that 2nd USC game and the BigRedMachine (in Lincoln!!) not even try to win....just "trying" to not get blown out horribly.....ripped my heart out.

Many spew out 10,000 excuses for Callahan but I'm sooooooooo glad he's gone.

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

100% correct.

Seeing that 2nd USC game and the BigRedMachine (in Lincoln!!) not even try to win....just "trying" to not get blown out horribly.....ripped my heart out.

Many spew out 10,000 excuses for Callahan but I'm sooooooooo glad he's gone.

I think you're mixing up the outcomes of the two games.

The first game, you could say we were 'playing not to get blown out.' And we lost a rather lifeless but uneventful 28-7, and moved on.

The second game, we just got blown the $#@! out from their very first play from scrimmage, when their FB took the ball and ran for like 30 yards. It continued with the next play, which was pretty much the same thing if I recall. That was not an issue of gametime tactics. That was an issue of just not showing up to play and getting flat out thrashed. But, to our credit, those guys didn't have quit in them and kept fighting and slinging through the embarrassment. At least we had some scores at the end. Could have been worse. Could have been Oklahoma last year. On second thought though, maybe not.

have you seen the penn st video...or the following play after he catches the ball out of bounds...i think not

that was exactly what i was referring to. the refs won penn st. the game, but we lost it by not taking it out of the refs hands. we could have won that game if we did not allow them to be in position to win it at that point. would penn st. have won without the refs? probably not. could we have won even with the refs mistake? probably. that is my point.