Beware the hype

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

ok, i will concede that not all losses hurt the same (although, at the end of the season they do. i did not care about the ISU loss until i realized how close we were to a really solid season).

however, regardless of the hype, i think we all have the same expectations this season and that is what determines how painful a loss is. i think it comes down to expectations, and i expect us to win out our regular season games. then whatever comes after that, i will reassess my expectations.

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

ok, i will concede that not all loses hurt the same (although, at the end of the season they do. i did not care about the ISU loss until i realized how close we were to a really solid season).

however, regardless of the hype, i think we all have the same expectations this season and that is what determines how painful a loss is. i think it comes down to expectations, and i expect us to win out our regular season games. then whatever comes after that, i will reassess my expectations.

i always...ALWAYS have different expectations about my season after we get through the non-conference schedule...i mean cake walk...sorry, sorry...last year i thought we would have another 9 win year if we got to a bowl game...but after the non-conference schedule i was think more like being big 12 champs...or a least in that game...hehe...my expectations on this year are 10 or 11 regular season wins and a trip to dallas...but after i see us play idaho...they aren't that bad...and washington...i will know where i think our team is headed

A few points to make here.

1. Joe Dailey never got a chance to run the offense he was recruited to run. Sure, a bit of mop up time in 2003, but he was clearly not ready for the option O, let alone the West Coast. Why would you hold anything against him?

2. Bill Callahan never took the program to the point where we thought we were back nationally. We were still trying to get to the win total that we had grown so used to in the previous years. The USC game sucked, but it was hard to be really surprised by the outcome.

3. Bo has done a lot. Sure, we got beat pretty bad by MU and OU in 2008, but Bo has done WAY more to earn the confidence of NU fan that did Bill. Look at the bowl games alone...and, well, call it blind faith, but I just don't see us going 5-6 under Bo anytime soon. We have a pretty good team. Can the team be great? Who knows, but we got hope, and that wasn't the case under Bill.

4. Hype by the fans is just that. Bo isn't buying it and he is holding these guys to a high standard, he won't allow BS talk to take place in the locker room.

5. I understand the idea of bracing one's self for losses, but when you do it to an extreme, you can't even enjoy the wins. In order to be a fan, you have to believe the team can win. In order to believe the team can win you have to expose yourself to possible soul crushing losses.

• Fire 4

A few points to make here.

1. Joe Dailey never got a chance to run the offense he was recruited to run. Sure, a bit of mop up time in 2003, but he was clearly not ready for the option O, let alone the West Coast. Why would you hold anything against him?

2. Bill Callahan never took the program to the point where we thought we were back nationally. We were still trying to get to the win total that we had grown so used to in the previous years. The USC game sucked, but it was hard to be really surprised by the outcome.

3. Bo has done a lot. Sure, we got beat pretty bad by MU and OU in 2008, but Bo has done WAY more to earn the confidence of NU fan that did Bill. Look at the bowl games alone...and, well, call it blind faith, but I just don't see us going 5-6 under Bo anytime soon. We have a pretty good team. Can the team be great? Who knows, but we got hope, and that wasn't the case under Bill.

4. Hype by the fans is just that. Bo isn't buying it and he is holding these guys to a high standard, he won't allow BS talk to take place in the locker room.

5. I understand the idea of bracing one's self for losses, but when you do it to an extreme, you can't even enjoy the wins. In order to be a fan, you have to believe the team can win. In order to believe the team can win you have to expose yourself to possible soul crushing losses.

NU fans have suffered enough of those, you would think we would be a little more desensitized to them.

Needless to say, JohnnyOneNut = skeptic. And that's not a bad thing IMO. Shoot, I consider myself a skeptic to a certain degree. But, one guy who's not skeptical about this team is Bo & the coaching staff. They believe & that's translates to their players believing, which in turn produces positive results. Game on!