Recruiting impacts of B10 expansion

I have been thinking about the possible recruiting impacts of this recent round of conference expansion and wanted to know what you guys think.

With the Big12 basically becoming Tejas, OU and everyone else will the Big12N recruiting grounds become more favorable to NU and Iowa? I think kids are going to be more apt to wanting to play for a competitive team in a competitive conference rather than wanting to pay to play on the same field as Tejas. The remaining B12N really have no shot at even being competitive in the new Big12.

I think Iowa and NU could benefit from a multitude of players from Kansas, Missouri and even Iowa. Especially if Iowa and ISU drop their game basically rendering ISU irrelevent in the state of Iowa. We could be looking at open season at players that once would have went to KU, MU, ISU, KSU. If this does happen I wouldnt be surprised to see Iowa and NU challenging for Big10 titles and NC's often.

I have been thinking about the possible recruiting impacts of this recent round of conference expansion and wanted to know what you guys think.

With the Big12 basically becoming Tejas, OU and everyone else will the Big12N recruiting grounds become more favorable to NU and Iowa? I think kids are going to be more apt to wanting to play for a competitive team in a competitive conference rather than wanting to pay to play on the same field as Tejas. The remaining B12N really have no shot at even being competitive in the new Big12.

I think Iowa and NU could benefit from a multitude of players from Kansas, Missouri and even Iowa. Especially if Iowa and ISU drop their game basically rendering ISU irrelevent in the state of Iowa. We could be looking at open season at players that once would have went to KU, MU, ISU, KSU. If this does happen I wouldnt be surprised to see Iowa and NU challenging for Big10 titles and NC's often.

isu already gets most of their players(at least in nebraska) from omaha who weren't good enough to get a look from nebraska or they don't want to walk on at nebraska and they want to get a scholarship from iowa st...

isu already gets most of their players(at least in nebraska) from omaha who weren't good enough to get a look from nebraska or they don't want to walk on at nebraska and they want to get a scholarship from iowa st...

I understand that. But the way I see it, our talent pool should be larger to choose from. If this pans out as I think, it would be a great opportunity to build better depth. If this allows us to pick up 1-2 extra 4* recruits a year that would have otherwise gone to MU, KSU, KU that would be huge.

There certainly are players for MU, KSU, KU even ISU that could provide depth or even start at NU. I am just thinking these players in the future may be more apt to look at NU with the forgotten 5 being doormats for Texas and Oklahoma.

Jamal Turner doesn't seem to think it will hurt out Texas recruiting as long as we keep winning. Wins = more tv time = more kids wanting to play for you.

the only thing i see about us moving to the big 10 is the ability to pick up more illinois, indiana, ohio, and penn players...we get a few from this area every year, but i think it could really expand now that we will be playing in the area all the time now

it's important to remember that UT and OU can only take a certain amount of players. They were already getting the best ones., and any kid that either school wanted tthey already had.. But there's still a TON of talent down there and no reason at all why we can't pull 8 or 10 players a year out if we want to. Add that to the fact that there's tons of kids up north that want to play in the Big Ten and an't for the same reason.....finate number of players allowed per school.....Our overall recruiting pool of highly skilled players just increased.

it's important to remember that UT and OU can only take a certain amount of players. They were already getting the best ones., and any kid that either school wanted tthey already had.. But there's still a TON of talent down there and no reason at all why we can't pull 8 or 10 players a year out if we want to. Add that to the fact that there's tons of kids up north that want to play in the Big Ten and an't for the same reason.....finate number of players allowed per school.....Our overall recruiting pool of highly skilled players just increased.

agreed...

If Nebraska could kindly keep their hands off of Michigan and Ohio players, we would certainly appreciate it. Over the last 3 years we have been steadily taking recruits away from Michigan (in fact we have won the state recruiting battles) and had very good success in Ohio. Recruiting in the backyards of Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State ain't easy, so we'd prefer you rip recruits away from Mizzou, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Texas. Michigan has slipped WAY down and we are hell bent on keeping it that way. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Michigan State (rebuilding since 1966)

I understand that. But the way I see it, our talent pool should be larger to choose from. If this pans out as I think, it would be a great opportunity to build better depth. If this allows us to pick up 1-2 extra 4* recruits a year that would have otherwise gone to MU, KSU, KU that would be huge.

There certainly are players for MU, KSU, KU even ISU that could provide depth or even start at NU. I am just thinking these players in the future may be more apt to look at NU with the forgotten 5 being doormats for Texas and Oklahoma.

Here's how I see it. Pickle has done a pretty good job of locking down the border. I don't see us getting many recruits from Missouri. Mizzou will also take the Kansas City area. For the state of Kansas, this really only leaves JuCo recruits which I guarantee you that Snyder at KState will get the lions share of the best ones. I don't really see us benefitting in recruiting from the states you just mentioned. I would guess Gill will get a lot of the leftovers from Texas once OU and Texas has their fill. I'd venture to guess any player with a pulse in the state of Iowa will more than likely go to Iowa rather than Nebraska. The last North team to win the Big 12 was KState. While Snyder may be getting a little long in tooth, I think it's possible that he garners enough JuCo's to at least get the Big 2's attention. It also remains to be seen what Gill can get going at KU. While I don't give him much of a chance, it's possible for him to make a little push from time to time.

Bingo! Texas and Oklahoma will always get the best recruits. Now that there will no longer be a CCG, teams like Missouri and Kansas have little to no chance at winning the Big 12. Kids from Texas will see this, and the fact the other teams in the old Big 12 north will be on tv less often. Kids will see it's now between Texas and Oklahoma for the Big 12 title. Everyone else will be fighting for scraps.