Suh: Nebraska's Big Ten move "bittersweet"

GSG

Suh: Nebraska's Big Ten move 'bittersweet'

June, 24, 2010 Jun 249:00AM ET By David Ubben

Former Huskers Ndamukong Suh and Cody Glenn watched Monday night's College World Series game from a suite in Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha.

After taking a long line of photos with fans, signing a few autographs and going on-air during the game broadcast, Suh, a new Detroit Lion, took some time out of his night to answer a few questions about his future, as well as his alma mater's.

David Ubben: It definitely sounds like you've been a busy guy lately, but what has your schedule been like the past couple weeks?

Ndamukong Suh: Yeah, shoot. I've just been working out in Detroit during the week. I've been off with OTAs [organized team activities] through this last week. We were supposed to have two, but we had one taken away from us. And then a minicamp. But I'm going back on Wednesday for that. I left for New York on Wednesday, I was in New York through Thursday and Friday to shoot a Nike commercial coming out soon. Then left to Vegas for Warren Moon's charity weekend. And now, since our OTAs got canceled, I came back to Lincoln. One of my best friends and I took care of some business and got to hang out, so I'm just enjoying my time.

DU: You've kind of taken on the role of local celebrity in Detroit. I saw you were going to judge a singing contest in the near future?

NS: I already did, actually. It was a singing contest at the Detroit Tigers' game. I threw out the first pitch. I did the singing contest and then threw out the first pitch. It was good, it was a lot of fun and I had a good time. That was actually my first real weekend up there because most weekends I'm gone or busy.

DU: What other off-the-wall things have you done up there?

NS: I don't know; there's just been so many things it's been a blur. But it's been exciting. I've enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to finally buckling down here in these next couple weeks here in Lincoln working out, taking care of business and then get back up to Detroit and get ready for the season.

DU: What did you think about Nebraska's move to the Big Ten?

NS: It's unfortunate. It's definitely good, going to have great education there, higher education, and I mean, it's a great move, but it's a bittersweet feeling because I played in the Big 12. And I always loved saying, 'I'm from the Big 12.' But now I'll be like, 'I played in the Big 12, but my team's in the Big Ten now.'

DU: You've got Michigan and Michigan State pretty close; are you going to be able to make it to games during the season?

NS: Yeah, definitely if I get a chance to. I'm not sure exactly how our schedule works on Saturdays, but I'm sure we're busy. So, Detroit comes first. But if I can squeeze away to the Big House to see my Big Red play, I'd definitely love to.

DU: What have been your perceptions of the organization since you've been a part of it?

NS: Great organization. They've been making a lot of great moves in the offseason. They want to win. We're going to have a lot of players who want to win and a great coaching staff and they're going to want to win. But we know we have to put the work in to do it, so that's what we're trying to do. That's what I've seen in the past couple months since I've been there.

DU: Has anyone taken you under their wing since you were drafted?

NS: Oh, yeah. My great Nebraska guy in Kyle Vanden Bosch up there. He's definitely taken care of me. I work out with him every morning and he just is kind of just teaching me how to watch film, how to do things and how he became the great [player] that he is. So that's what I'm looking forward to, having a chance to lean on him.

ESPN Link

He's seems like a great guy. Tough question to answer, you don't want to not support your school nor diminish anyone, so he handled it as well as someone could.

he is a better diplomat than football player.

While Suh is a very good diplomat, I'm not quite sure I'd make the leap you just did there.

He's seems like a great guy. Tough question to answer, you don't want to not support your school nor diminish anyone, so he handled it as well as someone could.

While Suh is a very good diplomat, I'm not quite sure I'd make the leap you just did there.

i said that knowing full well the type of football player he is, that is why his diplomatic skills are so impressive. it probably was an overstatement, but i have always noticed SUH's circumspect responses, never to offend and giving respect to everyone, even when people try making him respect one and insult they other.

i said that knowing full well the type of football player he is, that is why his diplomatic skills are so impressive. it probably was an overstatement, but i have always noticed SUH's circumspect responses, never to offend and giving respect to everyone, even when people try making him respect one and insult they other.

Even before his amazing 2009 season, Suh was great in interviews. He always sounded much more mature than just about any college student. I really think once Suh is done with football, he will find a home in the boradcast booth somewhere. Well, maybe not....seems like it would be beneath him.