Better running back

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got to give it to Roy. Early last season he seemed to be a much more decisive and agressive runner than in his previous years. He kind of reminded me of Brandon Jackson, that sort of "I will not be denied" angry running style. So with 2 good shoulders, I think he'll have a great season. Ultimately, I do think Burkhead will be the better talent in the long run, but he's got time to grow, and that's a very good thing.

I would say after this season is over, everybody will say that was one of the best 1-2 combination RB's in the nation!

Just curious on who everyone thinks our main running back will be next season. As long as they both stay healthy I think we'll have a good running game though.

Here is a write up from The Red Wave.

We should be happy to see Helu is rated no. 2 and Burkhead rated no. 5. Not sure who wrote this.

Ranking the Big XII RBs

Yesterday at 9:51pm

1. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State:

Coming of a junior season where Thomas led the Big XII in rushing and was named All-Big XII New Comer of the year, Thomas has some hype to live up to now. Bill Snyder has never been afraid to run the ball, and he probably never will be. Look for Thomas to get the ball 20 to 25 times each game next year for the Wildcats.

2. Roy Helu, Nebraska:

Last off season Helu added 15 to 20 pounds of weight to his frame to help him carry the load. It didn't help him much. Helu was plagued by a shoulder injury for most of the season. Even though he saw limited playing time due to injury the senior to be rushed for over 1,100 yards. With the development of sophomore Rex Burkhead Helu will not be asked to shoulder the load as much in his senior campaign. So when Helu touches the ball this season, expect big things to come from it.

3. Demarco Murray, Oklahoma:

The former number 1 high school player in the state of Nevada really hasn't lived up to the hype. He has been a very consistent and productive player, but hasn't really been more then a role player in his 3 years in Norman. This kid has the ability to be an All-American. Lets see if he can put everything together for his final season at OU.

4. Christine Michael, Texas A&M:

The former number 3 ranked running back out of high school in 09, played a big role in A&Ms offense as a true freshman. Michael carried the rock 166 times for 844 yards. With a year of division one experience, combined with sharing the back field with Jerrod Johnson, look for Michael to help lead one of the most powerful rushing attacks in the country. This kid has 1,500 yards written all over him.

5. Rex Burkhead, Nebraska:

This maybe a stretch here placing the talented sophomore at 5. I firmly believe that Nebraska will have one of the best 1-2 combos in the country, with Helu and Burkhead. In Nebraska's 33-0 routing of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, Burkhead carried the ball 17 times for 89 yards. With the installment of the wildcat formation in that game, and with Burkhead having more practice with it this off season, I think Nebraska's offense will be a lot more fun to watch next season, and Burkhead will be a lot of the reasoning behind it.

My thoughts are, Helu is no 1. and Burkhead is 1A. Not too much separating them but they could be one of the best RB tandems in the country.

I think, with time, Rex will be the better back, as someone else already said. However, I feel Roy will make a big push to improve his draft stock next year, knowing there are many questions about him yet. He will try to prove that all that potential he has can actually translate into some serious ballin. I think Helu delivers big his senior year and has the better year.

This question can be answered two ways. I think the better running back, in the long run, will be Burkhead. But, I think Helu is going to have a better season if you solely compare their yards by season end.

helu has one bad season because he has one nagging injury that the coaches wouldn't just bench him...does anyone not remember this guys monster sophomore year...even injury riddled last year(one nagging injury) he still put up big yards and had big plays(saved the kansas game with a big run)...i know rex is the new big thing, got to meet him and it was awesome, but i think helu will show what we all thought he would be last year

I think people forget how good Helu is. Rex is the "new toy" and immediately became a crowd favorite. Its easy to cheer for a guy like Rex. He is a coaches dream and exactly what parents would want their sons to be. Hes a hard worker,has great character,and very dedicated on and off the field.All this said ON THE FIELD Helu is a better player. I think Rex is more of a "grinder" and Nebraska fans have a soft spot in their heart for this kind of a guy. Im SURE Rex has improved a lot but IMO Helu is still a better RB. I simply go back to the VT and OU games and no other back we had performed CLOSE to that level. I think Burkheads best game at Colorado was good but nowhere near the level that Roy Helu is at.

I honestly expect their years to be similar.Rex will get some wildcat carries and catch more passes than Helu. I expect Roy to average more ypc(from behind center anyway). They will split it 55-45 to me(Helu 55%) with a goal to keep both healthy.Hopefully that works. Roy will outrush him while I honestly think Rex gets to close games out.