Better running back

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Helu assuming that he could stay healthy. I think Burkhead might be a bit more consistent because he always seems to get a few extra yards after contact. However, I think Helu is a bit better as a big play threat. Long term, I'd vote Burkhead because he is apparently more durable. If health were not an issue I would stick with my Helu vote.

How do we know for sure Burkhead is more durable? Didnt he miss half the season due to injury?

All this about Helu being hurt, he had one terrible shoulder injury last year and everyone says he is injury prone. Many are saying Burkhead is more durable. Based on what? His freshman year where he broke a bone in his foot and was out 4 games? Helu played the whole year, didn't miss a game with his injury.

Some people's hindsight is convenient for the point they are making.

All this about Helu being hurt, he had one terrible shoulder injury last year and everyone says he is injury prone. Many are saying Burkhead is more durable. Based on what? His freshman year where he broke a bone in his foot and was out 4 games? Helu played the whole year, didn't miss a game with his injury.

Some people's hindsight is convenient for the point they are making.

My opinion about Helu's durability concerns is more from what the coaches have said about him. I don't remember the exact quotes but they have apparently had a hard time convincing Helu that ALL running backs have to play through pain. It comes with the position. I remember Bo being frustrated with him a few times as well saying something like "If he is healthy enough to play he'd better play like he's healthy." I think it might be more mental than physical in Helu's case.

You are quite correct about Burkhead's injury. However, that seemed more like a fluke injury than Helu being constantly dinged up.

I voted Helu assuming that he could stay healthy. I think Burkhead might be a bit more consistent because he always seems to get a few extra yards after contact. However, I think Helu is a bit better as a big play threat. Long term, I'd vote Burkhead because he is apparently more durable. If health were not an issue I would stick with my Helu vote.

How do we know for sure Burkhead is more durable? Didnt he miss half the season due to injury?

We don't know anything per se. Just my opinion and it could very well be wrong. However, Burkhead's broken foot may be a one time thing. Helu on the other hand, was dinged up in one way or another for almost the entire year. We saw this for the last two years with Helu. He's basically missed the last two bowl games because of nagging injuries.

Helu is finally gonna get through an entire season w/o a constant nagging injury & he's gonna burn opposing defenders in every game. He's always been highlight-reel material as a guy who can juke defenders out of their shoes then blow past 'em with his breakaway speed. Anyone remember that VaTech game last fall? Yeah, we're gonna see a lot of that, and I can't wait!

ncf_u_helu1_sw_576.jpg

I'll tell you why Burkhead is more durable...he hits you harder than you hit him. He makes you pay for tackling him. If you hit harder than the other guy you tend to avoid injuries. Oh, and that foot injury, total fluke. I watched him since little league and he never missed a game. He played in the 5a Texas semi-final game with cracked ribs his junior year. I don't know about you but I know that rib anything hurts like hell, but he wouldn't come out of the game.

This question can be answered two ways. I think the better running back, in the long run, will be Burkhead. But, I think Helu is going to have a better season if you solely compare their yards by season end.

helu has one bad season because he has one nagging injury that the coaches wouldn't just bench him...does anyone not remember this guys monster sophomore year...even injury riddled last year(one nagging injury) he still put up big yards and had big plays(saved the kansas game with a big run)...i know rex is the new big thing, got to meet him and it was awesome, but i think helu will show what we all thought he would be last year

The one thing about Helu that bothered me his Junior year was the inability to reach the end zone. Yes, he rushed for over a thousands yards, but he was unable to score a single rushing touchdown in two of his biggest games: vs. OU and vs. Va Tech.

You do bring up a valid point, in that he was not injured his sophomore year. But, I think that had more to do with having Castille and Lucky on the team more than anything else. His body can't stand being the go to guy every week. Plus, he has been held out of post-season play for two consecutive seasons thanks to knee problems.

Don't get me wrong. I think Helu is a great individual and pretty darn good running back. All I'm saying is that he has a lot to prove this year.

i know many will disagree, and i know helu was injured last year, but he has not impressed me a whole lot. he can cut the corner and gain some yardage and every once in a while he will find the hole (more than i did in high school, at least, and no i did not play football), but he does not have the necessary power. rex seems to have explosive speed and strength. he will not out run the secondary, but he can run through the line and get 10. it is just my perception, but helu just has not impressed me from what i have seen and i think rex has more potential. that being said, i would not be surprised if helu surprised me (paradox?). he has shown flashes of brilliance.

Helu's got more shake'n bake than Rex, and I'm not convinced of this tremendous turn around by our OL. Because of this, I voted for Helu. Even if our OL does have a tremendous turn around, I think the staff will give more touches to Helu considering it will be his last year in a Husker uniform.

This question can be answered two ways. I think the better running back, in the long run, will be Burkhead. But, I think Helu is going to have a better season if you solely compare their yards by season end.

helu has one bad season because he has one nagging injury that the coaches wouldn't just bench him...does anyone not remember this guys monster sophomore year...even injury riddled last year(one nagging injury) he still put up big yards and had big plays(saved the kansas game with a big run)...i know rex is the new big thing, got to meet him and it was awesome, but i think helu will show what we all thought he would be last year

The one thing about Helu that bothered me his Junior year was the inability to reach the end zone. Yes, he rushed for over a thousands yards, but he was unable to score a single rushing touchdown in two of his biggest games: vs. OU and vs. Va Tech.

You do bring up a valid point, in that he was not injured his sophomore year. But, I think that had more to do with having Castille and Lucky on the team more than anything else. His body can't stand being the go to guy every week. Plus, he has been held out of post-season play for two consecutive seasons thanks to knee problems.

Don't get me wrong. I think Helu is a great individual and pretty darn good running back. All I'm saying is that he has a lot to prove this year.

This. Helu is deceiving because he's got good size but he's more of a scat back type. Last year Helu showed that he can run the stretch and get outside about as good as anyone in the country, besides maybe Jahvid Best. But he doesn't have the straight up power to be a consistent up the middle back.

Here's my thought: Hopefully at the end of the season we will still be asking this question, because they have both showed great ability. (800 yds a piece wouldn't be too bad either)

Helu's got more shake'n bake than Rex, and I'm not convinced of this tremendous turn around by our OL. Because of this, I voted for Helu. Even if our OL does have a tremendous turn around, I think the staff will give more touches to Helu considering it will be his last year in a Husker uniform.

I think a better O-Line would benefit Helu more than Burkhead. Burkhead is more of a straight ahead runner so he is better at getting something out of nothing but Helu is a more shifty back so if you can give him some room to operate he can put some moves on people.