No more NU?

This is something I've never understood about many midwestern schools. Why the letter of the university and then the U? I mean, it's the University of Nebraska (NU?) The University of Kansas (KU?) University of Colorado (CU?)...I mean, why? In the SEC we have AU for Auburn University, LSU for Louisiana State University, and MSU for Miss. State University and these abbreviations make sense. So again, why do many midwest schools do the opposite?

UN is already taken. :hellloooo

This is probably out of our hands. In our state newspapers we will continue with NU, but the rest of our big ten brethren will do whatever the Big 10 network or some writer for the Chicago Tribune does. We will find out for sure by the time we play Northwestern.

If they refer to us as something we don't like, we can complain, but it might not do any good. I was sitting in a production meeting before an LSU vs Ole Miss game and the reps from LSU insisted that they not be referred to as the Bayou Bengals by ABC during the broadcast. ESPN, owned by ABC, still does it - all of the time. Another reason :espnsucks:

Northwestern calls themselves NU. I have no problem saying 'The 'N' ", or tNU or whatever. Just being neighborly is all.

A bigger question is what are we going to do about Indiana calling themselves the 'Big Red'?

Yup, I've heard this on Big Ten Fever. tNU is a good one. :thumbs As far as Indiana, just drown em' out.

With so many little rivalry trophies going on in the Big 10, like Paul Bunyan's Axe, Oaken bucket, Sioux tomahawk, we should have one between the two NU's, whoever wins it gets the NU moniker until they meet again. Loser gets UN or lower case nu

(that we we will likely keep the NU for a long long time) :thumbs

Maybe it's because you're coming from the Big 12, but I don't understand all of the Northwestern hate. They're a fun team, and most of the Big Ten are happy that they're doing well.

While we're on the subject . . . it's odd that you speak like a Big Ten insider and a life time OSU fan. Didn't you just decide between attending UNL, Missouri, or Iowa . . . and then you suddenly settled on OSU? It just seems strange.

A bigger question is what are we going to do about Indiana calling themselves the 'Big Red'?

Laugh

Yeah I'm watching BTN the other day and there's Indiana basketball highlights on an advertisement... one of the guys ruys running around the basketball court was carrying a flag that read 'GO BIG RED"..

Saw that and thought 'hey hey hey now.....'

Oh well. As long as nobody decides they can call themselves 'Blackshirts' I'll find a way to live with it ..or at least try to