Lambeau Throwing Its Hat In

BOJ

So Lambeau wants to bid for the championship game too. While I dig the idea of playing in storied venues, the league needs to do what is best for the players and teams. The two teams playing in the game are going to bowl games a few weeks later; let's keep em' healthy and a little practice within the confines of the southernly climates (in other words, keep it indoors at that point) the teams will be playing in leads me to believe no Big Ten championship game cannot be played at Lambeau. Feel free to disagree.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5383940

So Lambeau wants to bid for the championship game too. While I dig the idea of playing in storied venues, the league needs to do what is best for the players and teams. The two teams playing in the game are going to bowl games a few weeks later; let's keep em' healthy and a little practice within the confines of the southernly climates (in other words, keep it indoors at that point) the teams will be playing in leads me to believe no Big Ten championship game cannot be played at Lambeau. Feel free to disagree.

Just my opinion, buyt here are places I see as appropriate...

1) Chicago. Only issue if Northwestern somehow got in, it would be a home field, but it's Northwestern so eh.

2) Indy. Pretty Much in the middle, in a Dome so good for the time of year (I hate domes though) and no one's home town

3) Detroit Ford field is noce, and while the Michigan schools are close, it is a big city and lots of Big 10 schools nearby

Others

*Pittsburgh A little east, but a nice field and definitely inside the Big 10. THe fact it is Pitt's home field and they are not in the Big 10 may go over poorly

*Cleveland I don't like Cleveland, but it is in the east part of Big 10 country and they do have the facilites

I avoided Minneapolis, (A home town), Madison (same), Columbus (Same), Milwaukee (Pro facility qauality lacking), Green Bay (way on the edge an not a good neutral site town), anywhere in Iowa (Des Moines is to Iowa Statish and no venue)

Chicago would not not be an issue if NW got in. They don't have much of an advantage a few miles north in Evanston. I think Chicago would be awesome for a CCG. Great stadium in Soldier Field plus the city is amazing.

I say rotate an outdoor stadium (Soldier, Lambeau, Cleveland, Vikings new?, Hines) in between Lucas Oil in Indy and Ford in Detroit. Example:

2011 Lambeau

2012 Ford

2013 Lucas Oil

2014 Soldier

2015 Ford

2016 Lucas Oil

2017 Arrowhead - when Mo get's in.

Just my opinion, buyt here are places I see as appropriate...

1) Chicago. Only issue if Northwestern somehow got in, it would be a home field, but it's Northwestern so eh.

Chicago has a crapload of B10 alumni from all schools.

Lambeau is a great venue for pro football, but I'm not that wild about the idea of having the Big Ten championship game there. It's not centrally located, it's a pain to get to and I doubt Green Bay could handle the influx of tourists. Lucas Oil, Ford Field and Soldier Field are all fine venues and the cities are within reasonable driving distance for most Big Ten fans. Plus Indy, Chicago and Detroit have major airports, are prepared for tourists and are well-versed in hosting these kinds of events.

I'm a Badger fan and my vote goes to Soldier Field, both for the logistics and for the city itself. Lambeau would be cool, but it is hard to get to and the novelty of small town America would wear off quickly if you were there frequently. I could see it as part of a rotation, however. You would also get a lot of locals to go to a game in GB, just to say they had been to Lambeau for football.

2) Indy. Pretty Much in the middle, in a Dome so good for the time of year (I hate domes though) and no one's home town

Bloomington is like 30 miles from Indy, but I think Indiana is even less likely than Northwestern to appear in the CCG.

Chicago is the best venue by far. It's the Second City; lots to do, lots of people live there, easy to get to, good location, great stadium, great food - it sells itself.

Couple of things:

-- Bo loves playing in the elements. He made it known that he wanted the Big 12 title game at Arrowhead Stadium on a rotational basis just because of the elements. He said "bring it on." But this is also a guy who played in the elements as a Big Ten player, so it makes sense.

-- He's also more than familiar with Lambeau Field since his last NFL coaching gig was with the Packers before he took the job as DC @ Nebraska in 2003. If Bo had a vote, he'd probably vote for an outdoor venue for the Big Ten title game. It suits his blue-collar attitude.

Couple of things:

-- Bo loves playing in the elements. He made it known that he wanted the Big 12 title game at Arrowhead Stadium on a rotational basis just because of the elements. He said "bring it on." But this is also a guy who played in the elements as a Big Ten player, so it makes sense.

-- He's also more than familiar with Lambeau Field since his last NFL coaching gig was with the Packers before he took the job as DC @ Nebraska in 2003. If Bo had a vote, he'd probably vote for an outdoor venue for the Big Ten title game. It suits his blue-collar attitude.

Funny you'd mention Bo in GB. My first football game I ever went to was at Lambeau. The last game Bo coached there I think. Packers vs Bills. My wife was a resident in Marquette, MI and one of the coronary surgeons had his own suite, box seat, whatever you call it. He invited us to go and it was me and my wife's first football game ever. She was 8 months pregnant with our first son, but it was pretty comfy in that suite thing. I wanted my first game to be a Husker game (turned down three offers to see Michigan in the big house) but I rationalize it by saying my first college game was a Husker game.... 2007 ISU and 2009 300th sellout game are the only other two times we've got to go to games. But Lambeau was a nice experience. Not sure but it sure seemed a lot smaller than Lincoln.

Bloomington is like 30 miles from Indy, but I think Indiana is even less likely than Northwestern to appear in the CCG.

Chicago is the best venue by far. It's the Second City; lots to do, lots of people live there, easy to get to, good location, great stadium, great food - it sells itself.

I say if either of those teams can pull themselves out of the gutter, then they deserve the home field advantage. :)

I say if either of those teams can pull themselves out of the gutter, then they deserve the home field advantage. :)

It will definitely be NW before Indiana. But, NW is actually a decent team right now, they had a good run when that jackass Barnett was there and they certainly have the right coach in Fitzgerald--class act and pretty good football coach; gets a lot out of his players. I wouldn't be surprised to see NW fighting for Big Ten championships very shortly.