#13 Florida at #2 Nebraska, Sunday 8/29/2010

This team has shown a terrible propensity to coast in the first two matches. We visibly let up in the third yesterday, and we let up again in the fifth when we went up 11-7. There isn't a team in the nation that we should be giving up 8-1 runs to in the fifth set of a match, no way no how. After 11-7 we had two or three hitting errors and several bad passes.

Give Florida plenty of credit for playing lights-out, but this loss was more about what Nebraska didn't do than what Florida did.

1. The passing was not good in the first two sets. That was the real difference maker.

2. Florida is much better than their preseason #13 ranking would indicate. Kelly Murphy is a total stud, every bit of what you would expect from the #1 recruit a few years ago. I always liked Ashley Engle from Texas when she was played both S and RS, and Murphy may possibly be even a little better than Engle. The Gators showed a lot of improvement over their Saturday match against Iowa State.

3. The Huskers appear to be vulnerable to a good right side attack. The outsides are going to need to step up.

4. Nebraska was out of subs in the third set and the very next rotation would have put Licht in the back row and Cook in the front row. One risk with this 6-2 system.

5. Cook looks like the more effective setter after two matches but it's hard to compare since she is setting to Licht and Delano, while Anderson is setting to Broekhuis and McNeal, both of whom should improve as the season goes on.

6. I think Mancuso should get a chance to start over Mueller.

Overall I think this was a good loss for Nebraska (if any loss can be called "good"). This is not a team that was very likely to go undefeated anyway. I figured there would be some bumps in the road while the kinks are worked out of the new offense and the McNeal and Broekhuis get some experience. Nebraska has a few easier matches to fine tune things before facing #20 Dayton and #5 Illinois in a couple of weeks.

Nebraska really had their chances in that 5th set. We just made a lot of hitting errors that cost us.

Not sure why we kept going to the middle during that Florida run...but, the young players did play well overall (IMO). Not sure what was up with the inconsistency from Tara. :dunno