Our Newest Rival

I can see this Iowa / Nebraska thing getting bad. I can see the past years of hate and ( I really dont want to say this) jealousy spewing out of hawkeye nation. For whatever reason, be it our fanbase close to the border, our great success in the past, or our ability to get good recruts in a even less appealing area. The hawkeye hate is spewing forth. I cant tell you how many snarls i get a day from the hawkeye nation when i wear my big red gear. Though there are lots of husker fans in this state also. I predict this will be about the same as colorado or worse. Probally will need to remove most of my husker stuff from my cars ro avoid vandalism. Take my flag down so my stuff doesnt get vandalized. I was wondering if this was going to be a somewhat interesting rivalry but i see it becoming something bad entirely. Either way its a lose for nebraska fans in iowa. We win, our sh#t is in jepordy, if we lose we will never hear the end of it until wrestling season starts.

This is a great topic...thank you for putting it up. I was JUST back in Nebraska for a wedding last weekend...the reception was over and we were still putting a few back with my buddies and his cousins...from Iowa. We started talking about college football...it was like we were talking to a completely different guy! He was BASHING Nebraska football...heres the thing...right now...both of our teams are in the top ten and are pretty equal...however...i can see iowa dropping off quickly. If this happens...the rivalry will die quickly. To add...I've been to Iowa City several times before...GREAT town...GREAT atmosphere and I agree with the others...NOBODY can me as horrible as the CU fans...i live with one out here in long beach, california and i'll vouch for that any day! At any rate...I'm stoked...gonna be a great road game for us in a couple years to go to!

I dont think it will get to be as bad as cu trust me i am frome colorado and have been to boulder and the fans are nuts. My cuz was down there for a game one time and they had their husker gear on and people were spitting on them and throwing boddles at them mind u they were walking down main street before the game. i am looking forward to the big ten, Iowa will be a great game no matter if the hawkeyes drop off and i dont see that happening with there coach there.

I dont think it will get to be as bad as cu trust me i am frome colorado and have been to boulder and the fans are nuts. My cuz was down there for a game one time and they had their husker gear on and people were spitting on them and throwing boddles at them mind u they were walking down main street before the game. i am looking forward to the big ten, Iowa will be a great game no matter if the hawkeyes drop off and i dont see that happening with there coach there.

Used to go the the CU game every year it was in Boulder. The only problems we ever really had prior to the games was with the younger kids yelling vulgarities, etc. Though I've seen much worse from other teams' fans on YouTube. Walking down "main street" i never saw anything worse than some smart ass comments but usually meant in friendly bantor. Spent plenty of time at the beer garden and never had any problems there-- and the alcohol was flowing-a-plenty. Usually there were also plenty of tailgaters with a mix of red with black/gold together.

Inside the stadium was a different story unfortunately, especially in the late'90s/2000s-- the usual crap you hear about. We've had things thrown at us. Had some young kids sitting with us in 2005 who were treated pretty bad. "adults" talking smack to a 12-yr old girl. that's some Buff pride, i guess.

I hope Iowa fans have more respect for their program than to act like CU.

Oh, fans as bad as CU? At CU many of the problem fans were students. I don't think the students in Iowa City have quite the same mindset as those in Boulder.

Then again, I'm not there in person like you. I just hope it doesn't get as bad as the CU/NU relationship.

I can't help but wonder if Iowa vs Nebraska will be something like NU/CU. There is a little history wtih Iowa but it does seem a little forced like CU. There was history with CU as well, that doesn't mean we ever warmed up to that "rivalry".

Randomly thinking of negative and postive comparisons between Iowa & CU...

Negative: As a Husker fan who lived in Colorado for most of my life, most people in Colorado don't care enough about CU so day to day as a Husker fan wasn't too difficult. I would venture to guess that there are far more Iowans that care about the Hawkeyes than Coloradoans care about the Buffs. more passion is good for a fan base but at the same time, a Husker fan in Iowa may actually have a tougher time than a Husker in CO.

Positive: I just can't see Ferentz mounting a Nebraska-is-the-devil red-letter-game campaign like good ol' Bill McCartney did. The Iowa football program is certainly above that.

Negative: For the few fans CU does have there is a severe infiority complex when it comes to NU. 1/2 national title vs 5 will do that i guess. I don't know too many Iowa fans but I hope that kind of thing doesn't reer is ugly head since Iowa apparenly has only one title in 1958.

I predict this will be a HUGE rivalry.... for those fans living in Iowa and Nebraska. The rest of the national Huskers will see Iowa as another tough Big 10 opponent.

Now Penn State on the other hand... that won't take much to truly earn the meaning of the word "rivalry"!

Was visiting with my brother-in-law who is a cyclone fan living in Des Moines, poor bastard.

Rumor is that Iowa wont move the game to Friday because university medical clinics need to be open and wont be available for parking. Its just stories now, but it will really piss me off if Iowa cant carry on own tradition of playing Friday after Thanksgiving. Living in Iowa, Hawk fans are chirpy and starting to be irritating. I may have to root Clones on Saturday.

Yeah was on another message board thats dedicated to Big Ten. People seemed friendly then the conference divisions came out, and all of a sudden the Michigan and a Iowa fan took anything you said Jokingly as Nebraska fan thinking were going to own the conference.

They have a chat line (which is fun) that I got on and first thing out of Iowa mouth is so you think can win the Big Ten next year? (Kind of a loaded question if I ever heard one) :facepalm:

I told him it would depend on how Nebraska handles the first game against Wisc and if NU does win then momentum could carry on and be doable.

This wasn't enough for Iowa boy, "That not answering the question"

Clearly Iowa boy wanted me to either grovel :worship or comeout like a asz and say Yes were going beat everyone by ten points so he take the insulted stance in the chat room. :troll:

Not in the cowering mood I told him yes, Nebraska could win it if things went their way and Nebraska played up to their potential.

Things then went bad to worse as Iowa fan puffed up his chest and then proceeded to tell me "Husker fan needs to stop living in the past, and the 90's are over and the NC's mean nothing to him"

What was funny during his whole rant he kept coming up with Nebraska big losses against TEXAS Tech and Iowa State and out of nowhere "Iowa has a NC." (Talk about living in a past that never really happened.)

I asked him "Did the coaches or UPI award that NC?"

Iowa boy "Doesnt matter I don't live in the past like Husker fan."

The surreal part of the chat room the girl (Michigan fan) that runs the message board kept saying "If you think Michigan going to stay down your a idiot" No one was even talking about Michigan. chuckleshuffle

Let's just say it's going to be fun playing with such a fanbase that see's everything you say as a insult. :facepalm:

Was visiting with my brother-in-law who is a cyclone fan living in Des Moines, poor bastard.

Rumor is that Iowa wont move the game to Friday because university medical clinics need to be open and wont be available for parking. Its just stories now, but it will really piss me off if Iowa cant carry on own tradition of playing Friday after Thanksgiving. Living in Iowa, Hawk fans are chirpy and starting to be irritating. I may have to root Clones on Saturday.

Another reason why we should get Penn State for that date

Dang - didn't even think about that fact. That is true that with all of the medical facilities around the stadium being open on Friday it would probably preclude them from being able to do the game that day. I wonder if we could do it on Fridays in Lincoln but Saturdays in Iowa City to at least get it on Friday half the time.

As far as Hawk fans being chirpy in Iowa - the same could be said about some Husker fans in Nebraska. If you live in the other state you just have to have thick skin and know that the local population is always going to be loud and obnoxious about their home team.

As a Wisconsin fan, I have visited Kinnick several times, Minnesota many times, OSU twice, and PSU once (also others, but these are the significant ones for NU). With the exception of a minor incident in a bar the night before one of the OSU games, all the experiences have been positive. In my experience, if you go to hostile territory with a respectful attitude and a desire to see how that fan base experiences a game, you will be treated well. If you go in as an obnoxious SOB, you will be treated as such and not come away with any idea of what the other school is like. Part of my love of college football is experiencing the atmosphere at opposing campuses. Different does not necessarily mean worse - it is just different. Mindless chest-thumping is best left to your own campus; it is kind of rude and doesn't lead to good interaction with other fans.

That being said, avoiding the rabid student sections/housing at opposing schools is generally a good idea (including in Madison).

Dang - didn't even think about that fact. That is true that with all of the medical facilities around the stadium being open on Friday it would probably preclude them from being able to do the game that day. I wonder if we could do it on Fridays in Lincoln but Saturdays in Iowa City to at least get it on Friday half the time.

Whats the deal Caven? We arent talking about the ER right. Shut it down. Id be disappointed if this game couldnt be played on Friday. It is Nebraska's tradition and would give the rivalry a national spotlight.

On a side note, Iowa fans have good reason to be chirpy. I just am in a transition from having Iowa as my Big 10 team for the last 15 years.

Whats the deal Caven? We arent talking about the ER right. Shut it down. Id be disappointed if this game couldnt be played on Friday. It is Nebraska's tradition and would give the rivalry a national spotlight.

On a side note, Iowa fans have good reason to be chirpy. I just am in a transition from having Iowa as my Big 10 team for the last 15 years.

True that the ER is on the opposite side of the building from the stadium for obvious reasons since they need access to that at all times - but all of the normal Hospital parking that is filled M-F is used for game parking on Saturday. Now given that it is a holiday weekend I would think that they aren't scheduling any elective stuff for that day anyway so maybe it would be do-able. At a minimum I hope that next year gets moved to Friday here in Lincoln. Keep in mind that this whole game on Thanksgiving weekend thing is new to the Big 10 this year which could be causing a lot of wait and see attitude with how things play out.

I'm of the belief this rivalry will be bad blood from the get-go. Definitely worse than our rivalry with CU.

I agree with you. The CU Rivalry was based off the, wanting too be as good as us. Iowa has been plenty good before us and at the same time. But doesn't have as many shinny trophies too show for it.

Look for this too become potentially bad.