What in the Hell is Their Problem

I stumbled on this thread on Hawkeye Nation and i about **** myself. Im not trying to dig on Hawkeye fans but they seem to only want what they know they definately can have. I just dont understand this kind of thinking.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/15346-why-i-do-not-care-about-national-championship.html

Ah, to dream like a "Squawkeye". I can only imagine.

To be honest, my opinion as a Buckeye is somewhat similar to the Hawkeye mindset. However, I hope to explain it a little better than that OP.

My seasonal goals according to importance are:

1) Beat Michigan.

2) Win Big Ten Championship.

3) Win Bowl Game/National Championship.

The penultimate consideration for most Buckeye fans is going to be beating Michigan. This can turn a poor season into a positive, and it adds a LOT to an already successful campaign. Furthermore, typically, steps 2 and 3 can be drastically hampered if step 1 isn't taken care of. There ARE a great many variables that go into a National Championship season, and many of those variables are not in the hands of the team. Beating Michigan on the field is very much tangible in that consideration.

To be honest, my opinion as a Buckeye is somewhat similar to the Hawkeye mindset. However, I hope to explain it a little better than that OP.

1) Beat Michigan.

The penultimate consideration for most Buckeye fans is going to be beating Michigan. This can turn a poor season into a positive, and it adds a LOT to an already successful campaign. Furthermore, typically, steps 2 and 3 can be drastically hampered if step 1 isn't taken care of. There ARE a great many variables that go into a National Championship season, and many of those variables are not in the hands of the team. Beating Michigan on the field is very much tangible in that consideration.

All you can do is win all of the games that you play, and let the chips fall where they may. I agree to that point. But to say that you'd rather play in the Rose Bowl than to win a MNC is idiotic at best.

1) Beat Michigan.

Well at least you mention a desire to win the national title. You've been there before, unlike Iowa fan, so you're perspective is at least a tad closer.

Btw, I think I've underestimated your hate of M*ch*gan. Hard to believe a national title season would be considered a tainted effort if you lost to them the same season.

I have said it before and I will say it again - there are idiots in all fan bases. I would agree that a successful season for Iowa would be a traditional January 1 bowl game. I say traditional because there are now WAY more January 1 bowl games than there used to be. It used to be you needed a top 4 finish in the Big 10 to play in January and I would consider that a successful season. Does that mean that I don't want more? Absolutely not. I would love to see us get to the MNC game but my opinion of our season does not hinge on that. I also can't say that I would be happy ending up in Detroit for a bowl game. We should do better than simply sliding in to the last available bowl for a Big 10 team.

As for the Rose Bowl - you have to keep in mind the Big 10 mind set with tradition. For decades in the Big 10 it was Rose Bowl or bust as the Big 10 didn't allow teams to play in any other bowl. Even when the modern BCS era started the Big 10 and Pac 10 remained separate with the Rose Bowl.

"no one outside the big ten gives a crap about the rose bowl and its pompous parade."

If that were true then in the years that Texas and Nebraska played in the Rose Bowl they would not have made such a big deal out of the fact that they were getting to go to the ROSE BOWL. Not just some BCS bowl but the ROSE BOWL. It was special. It was cool. It was something that those outside of the Big 10 and Pac 10 rarely got to do and the anticipation was phenomenal.

We made such a big deal about going the Rose Bowl that year because, ahem...it was the NATIONAL TITLE GAME. Hello!

My bad - it was Texas and Oklahoma that went when it wasn't for the MNC game not Texas and Nebraska.

eta: Watch out Manhatten - you are halfway to needing to find a Michigan avatar!