What in the Hell is Their Problem

I still would have winning the National Championship my ultimate goal but I agree with him and see where he is coming from. Until we get a different system all the BCS will provide is a Mythical National Championship that is up for debate.

If its an eight team playoff, guess what #9 will call the winner?

MNC

IMO, if you finish #8 in the polls at the end of the regular season, you don't really deserve a shot at the trophy. What's so special about #8 that #9 isn't?

and theres the rub...someone is always going to feel left out. thats why i dont understand the acceptance of never winning a MNC or of losing games or whatever. win all your games, play in the championship, and win that too. whatever the set up is, however flawed or what not it is...win the damn thing. thats the point.

It would be interesting to see hear what PSU thinks of the Rose Bowl, not having grown up with it as the Holy Grail (nor do I think they have ever been there, but am too lazy to look it up). For many older fans in the Big 10, the Rose Bowl was the be-all, end-all. It has the additional cache of keeping the same date/ criteria for participation, unlike the plethora of January 1 games that exist as of the 2010-2011 season.

Over time, it will be interesting to see if Nebraska's opinion of the Rose Bowl changes and the "old" Big 10 team's opinion on traditional matchups v. the title game changes. I have heard reasonable arguments made on both sides.

IMO, if you finish #8 in the polls at the end of the regular season, you don't really deserve a shot at the trophy. What's so special about #8 that #9 isn't?

Definitely it's not perfect but it's still better. I don't think they will be debating how the #9 should have been the national champion years later so I think it's definitely an improvement. And if the #8 team beats the other top teams in the playoff I think they'd be deserving enough.

Definitely it's not perfect but it's still better. I don't think they will be debating how the #9 should have been the national champion years later so I think it's definitely an improvement. And if the #8 team beats the other top teams in the playoff I think they'd be deserving enough.

What if #9 is an undefeated Boise St. or TCU?

I would say the best playoff would have to be 16 teams, IMO.

What if #9 is an undefeated Boise St. or TCU?

I would say the best playoff would have to be 16 teams, IMO.

I love the playoffs, really wish D1A had it. It's a great time when your team is the last one in as the 24th seed and makes a run to the NC game all on the road...bummer to lose it on a dropped pass in the endzone that would have won it.

I sorta agree with what the guy had to say. What does the championship game even mean if a Boise State, TCU or Big East team could potentially go while 1 loss teams who played a much harder schedule are eliminated? That's not an argument for playoffs either. I really believe that once we get going in the Big 10 we're going to love the conference competition more than the possibility of being national champions with a less competitive schedule. That's what college football should be, highly competitive games every week and real prestige being conference champions.

I sorta agree with what the guy had to say. What does the championship game even mean if a Boise State, TCU or Big East team could potentially go while 1 loss teams who played a much harder schedule are eliminated? That's not an argument for playoffs either. I really believe that once we get going in the Big 10 we're going to love the conference competition more than the possibility of being national champions with a less competitive schedule. That's what college football should be, highly competitive games every week and real prestige being conference champions.

You might have a point here if that scenario had ever played out, but it hasn't and it probably won't anytime soon. The problem with CFB's championship isn't that the little guys are ruining it for the "big boys", because those teams can't even get into the damn title game. If you ask me a much bigger problem with the BSC is the fact that the media will always vote for the established teams and conferences regardless of the actual strength of the given teams because money and prestige sell. (And the fact that their multi-billion dollar partnership deals with those conferences are paying the bills <_< )

If the BCS was a fair playing field then the "little guys" would compete more because they would have the means to challenge the tradition rich teams ahead of them. Not every team is capable of building a winner from scratch like NU in the 60's or Miami in the 70/80's. Remember there was a time when Nebraska struggled to climb that hill because more established teams like Alabama and Notre Dame held sway over the CFB world because of their previous dominance.

To get back to the original topic though, do you really think that a fan base like NU's that has taken so much pride in their hard fought accomplishments would so easily convert to an outdated "the Rose Bowl is the real championship" mentality that other Big 10 schools held onto for so long? Because I don't! If you ask me, this is the kind of thinking that teams who can't win it all stoop to to make themselves feel better about having never climbed that mountain. Well Nebraska has won it all so there is no excuse for us as a fan base to settle for less when the ultimate goal is still achievable.

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh at any fan base that would try to convince themselves that playing for second is fine as long as they can do it in a beautiful and historic venue.

I think a +1 4-team playoff is the best option. A 16-team format will marginalize the regular season. Why would you play your starters in your last game if you are in the top 5. We would end up with dummy-games much like the NFL. 8-team formats are workable, but still... In the present format or a +1, you end up with importance on EVERY game of the season. This is something that college football is founded on and which makes it exciting end to end. If you are a conference champion from say, the SEC, Big Ten or whatever other top conference emerges, you will be in the top 4. The CCG from every conference should eliminate most 2-team situations from one conference. Only if you have 2 divisional teams, one with 1-loss will there be a set of two conference teams in the +1 format. In this case, you could have lost on the road and may be the better team at a neutral site so there is little concern of this. It also allows for teams like Boise to have a shot. A +8 means that some conferences are not left out, but it also leads to a problem because your champion may end up with a lot more losses than your other top teams because they squeak out a few good wins at the end of the season. This also marginalizes every game.

1) Beat Michigan.

you will have to figure out a way to slow down Denard Robinson. He has 855 total yards passing and rushing. its like a video game only in real life.

we will see how good he is in conference play. i am not saying i doubt him, i just want to see how he does against wisc., iowa, and tOSU. also, our d is made to stop spread offenses. it should be a fun match-up. i cannot wait to be in the big 10.

i have always hoped for that scenario. it should be about winning your conference and then hoping for a chance to play in the mnc. it should not be about using your conference as a vehicle to the mnc, like OU and TU use the big 12, hoping it is good enough to get a high enough SOS, but easy enough to breeze through with one or two challenges.

you will have to figure out a way to slow down Denard Robinson. He has 855 total yards passing and rushing. its like a video game only in real life.

Considering he is the ONLY SOURCE for your offense, I'll give him kudos for his production so far; however, this could be 2009 redux. Remember how much of a saviour Tate was at the beginning of last year.

Anyway... by the time THE GAME comes around, we'll have to see if Denard is 1) not injured, 2) how many more players transfer, and 3) see how your boys perform when they meet a team with a pulse on offense AND defense.