Defensive Line

adc7236

while on the subject of the Dline, can someone please clear something up for me....How much is/does our system limit our lineman from generating a pass rush?? It appears the majority of the time that our lineman are hesitant to rush,in what looks like a two gap system up, instead of looking for the upfield penetration generally found in a one gap system. This is especially apparent with Pierre Allen. Too often I seem him with the offensive tackle locked fully locked out with dead feet, not throwing any moves at all. Again, is this part of our scheme, or do our guys just need to work on pass rush moves? This style of play is in direct contrast with the defenses Bo coached at LSU, with Glenn Dorsey garnering national praise with his one gap penetrating style of play.

It has a alot to do with what scheme theyre in. First of all, the d-lines in cerain situations is NOT to penetrate and try to wreak havoc, but rather make contact with the o-line and sustain that contact enuff to keep them off the scraping linebackers. The d-line is to the linebackers as the o-line is to the qb's and rb's.

while on the subject of the Dline, can someone please clear something up for me....How much is/does our system limit our lineman from generating a pass rush?? It appears the majority of the time that our lineman are hesitant to rush,in what looks like a two gap system up, instead of looking for the upfield penetration generally found in a one gap system. This is especially apparent with Pierre Allen. Too often I seem him with the offensive tackle locked fully locked out with dead feet, not throwing any moves at all. Again, is this part of our scheme, or do our guys just need to work on pass rush moves? This style of play is in direct contrast with the defenses Bo coached at LSU, with Glenn Dorsey garnering national praise with his one gap penetrating style of play.

It has a alot to do with what scheme theyre in. First of all, the d-lines in cerain situations is NOT to penetrate and try to wreak havoc, but rather make contact with the o-line and sustain that contact enuff to keep them off the scraping linebackers. The d-line is to the linebackers as the o-line is to the qb's and rb's.

Agreed. As you saw in the second half of the WKU game, Bo pulled the reins back and wanted the backers to get experience making reads and making plays. So he changed the scheme up a bit and wanted them to eat up blockers, and not so much penetrait and get to the ball carrier/QB. Pierre will get his fair share of sacks this year along with Cam.

Obviously we're seeing that Suh was basically 2 players. It's like he was a down lineman and a linebacker. I am totally confident that the coaches will have our best defensive front ready very soon. With 4 down linemen and using on 2 (undersized) linebackers you're going to give up some running.