Defensive Line

adc7236

The sky is not falling, but....the D Line performance concerns me. I know we improved as the season went on last year, and many will say the same will happen this year (including BO). However, it is hard to watch us playing "lesser" teams, and the line seems to get little penetration. Also, at times it seems as though they can't stop the run.

I was actually extremely impressed with the defensive line today. If you watch the replays when they come out, you can see a lot of our linebackers not making reads on the plays and hitting the gaps when they need to. Plus, they had a very impressive sack total today and forced the Idaho quarterbacks into a couple of interceptions.

But our guys need to do a better job of keeping up the intensity in the second half, regardless of the score or what string is in.

Why?

Again, the d-line played vanilla. How many stunts, shifts or blitzes did we even show? We were straight rushing nearly the entire game. We are playing teams we can beat on talent alone, and teams we do not need to show our stuff against so either teams can prepare for us better.

Same thing happened last year. We looked average in early games, and got pushed around a bit. People were scared we overrated our d-line then, but it wasn't the case. Once it came time for VA Tech and B12 play, we were fine.

• Fire 2

Why?

Again, the d-line played vanilla. How many stunts, shifts or blitzes did we even show? We were straight rushing nearly the entire game. We are playing teams we can beat on talent alone, and teams we do not need to show our stuff against so either teams can prepare for us better.

Same thing happened last year. We looked average in early games, and got pushed around a bit. People were scared we overrated our d-line then, but it wasn't the case. Once it came time for VA Tech and B12 play, we were fine.

Very well put. Bo is a poker player. He's playing his cards based on the whole season, instead of piling up stats in these warm-up games.

while on the subject of the Dline, can someone please clear something up for me....How much is/does our system limit our lineman from generating a pass rush?? It appears the majority of the time that our lineman are hesitant to rush,in what looks like a two gap system up, instead of looking for the upfield penetration generally found in a one gap system. This is especially apparent with Pierre Allen. Too often I seem him with the offensive tackle locked fully locked out with dead feet, not throwing any moves at all. Again, is this part of our scheme, or do our guys just need to work on pass rush moves? This style of play is in direct contrast with the defenses Bo coached at LSU, with Glenn Dorsey garnering national praise with his one gap penetrating style of play.

Yesterday after run plays where Idaho did some damage, Crick was right in David's ear. I think Lavonte is still adapting to the communication process. There were a lot of times where the D-Line barely had gotten set when the ball was snapped. These are the games to continue to iron out the communication issues before we get into the meat of our schedule.

Also as BigWillie has stated the only thing we really needed to outplay these two teams was talent. Why let all the cats out of the bag. Our blitzes that we did run were probably the most basic vanilla blitzes we have.

As for our ends(Allen for instance) it is all about containment. If for instance they spin back to the inside(highly taboo in defensive line strategies) and get buried as the QB or RB streak off around the corner Bo will eat their butts. A lot of it has to do with the defensive calls, but near the end of the game you saw Pierre off the edge and damn near kill the Idaho backup QB