When will Bo leave Tmart in for a whole game, if it's close?

WYHusk

This being NU's first big game, if it's close I would think this is the time to leave Tmart in for a whole game. Inevitably he's going to make more frosh mistakes (like fumbling instead of taking a sack), but the only way to get over those is more snaps.

I don't get this putting Cody Green in, in a scripted way in the 2nd quarter. Time to focus on the true starter? In a big game like this one, do you think Bo leaves Tmart in until it's mop-up time? And if it's close, and there is no mop-up time, does Bo leave Tmart in the whole game?

This is a big Tom Osborne influence, and I agree with it entirely. He believed in getting your back-up quarterback at least one meaningful series per game, for most games, as long as you're ahead.

Nail, meet head. And even if this wasn't TO's influence, it's a fantastic idea for the sake of growing your offense.

I do agree that this is different than some of the QB arguments from the past. We have a couple guys who can do well. Neither have a major downside. All I can say is that, as T-Mart continues to morph into T-Magic with his explosive plays, he will continue to get more opportunities until, eventually, he is the full time guy.

I realize alot of the time it's coach speak, but I really do feel that the QB race between Martinez and Green is close. Green has looked great in his limited role, especially throwing the ball. He's an okay runner.

I have nothing against Martinez, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Green take over the starting role later on in the season. On the other side of things, I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez solidified his spot as starting QB and Green became a solid backup.

I know...I'm really going out on a limb here. But I really feel both QBs could do a decent job leading our offense this year in different ways.

I realize alot of the time it's coach speak, but I really do feel that the QB race between Martinez and Green is close. Green has looked great in his limited role, especially throwing the ball. He's an okay runner.

I have nothing against Martinez, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Green take over the starting role later on in the season. On the other side of things, I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez solidified his spot as starting QB and Green became a solid backup.

I know...I'm really going out on a limb here. But I really feel both QBs could do a decent job leading our offense this year in different ways.

:thumbs:cheers

Really? I don't think having Green come in for a set of downs is about keeping him sharp. I think it's meant to be a strategic set of downs and to keep the opposing defense guessing. Although I do think part of it is about keeping Green happy. The more interesting strategic substitution would be a Zac Lee set of downs but I'm guessing Green has improved enough as a passer that Zac no longer has a niche.

Also, when Tom Osborne had a healthy starter at qb, he rarely inserted a qb for anything beyond mop-up duty. Husker back-ups got a lot of playing time only because there was a lot of mop-up duty on those teams.

This being NU's first big game, if it's close I would think this is the time to leave Tmart in for a whole game. Inevitably he's going to make more frosh mistakes (like fumbling instead of taking a sack), but the only way to get over those is more snaps.

I don't get this putting Cody Green in, in a scripted way in the 2nd quarter. Time to focus on the true starter? In a big game like this one, do you think Bo leaves Tmart in until it's mop-up time? And if it's close, and there is no mop-up time, does Bo leave Tmart in the whole game?

This is a big Tom Osborne influence, and I agree with it entirely. He believed in getting your back-up quarterback at least one meaningful series per game, for most games, as long as you're ahead.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Absolutely. Need to spread the PT around, especially during the warm up non-conf games. Get Cody Green in there for at least a couple of series. It won’t hurt T-Mart’s development much. And it will help out Cody tremendously. We gotta have a #2 ready to go. Just in case.