Give 'em their due...

Tailbone

... Now as far as the quote you referenced saying NU has seen tapes on Maine, that is not an accurate statement. On the Bill Callahan show, he cleqarly said and i quote "We have film on them when they played Mississippi St"...

Now you're saying you didn't have the NCAA regulated game film exchange with Maine? :blink: What do you want? They were on TV plenty last year and tape was available if Nebraska wanted it. I have six games alone on tape just by asking for it. I don't have any from Nebraska because I didn't ask... get the picture? :o

That's not what i am saying. Why do people only hear what they only want to hear and ignore the rest. My statement was due to another statement that i relayed coming from the head coach. I personally do not follow DIV-AA, so whether DIV-AA teams are on tv on a regular basis, i don't know because i never see any DIV-AA teams on T.V unless it's the playoffs or a DIV-AA national championship game.

I dont think preperation for this ball club was a problem at all. Lack of execution and costly mistakes were the problem. Watching film didn't have a thing to do with fumbles and dropped passes...

failure to execute (the O line, standing around) equals failed preparation.........or should we just admit they had better athletes and let it go at that?....which way is it, really? comments??? :wtf i say time spent on run blocking was negligiable

hunter

failure to execute (the O line, standing around) equals failed preparation

Uh, no it doesn't.

Player aren't like robots that the coaches program. The players still HAVE to execute the plays. They have to improvise at times when the defense throws something else at them (stunts on the DL, etc). Crap goes wrong on the field sometimes, do you attribute that to caoches as well?

Players have to seal blocks, they have to run the right routes against the other team's corners, etc.

This get's back to the whole players vs coaches thing, so we know thats not going to go anywhere.

ok coach Dave, you must be right :wacko: but the fact is adjustments are made on the sideline during the game and at half-time, right?? so fess up then, according to your statement the O line has inferior atheletes compared to Maine's D line? ok, I will buy that.......and the fact that they will stuggle for the rest of the year......but wait.......the fact that they could pass block pretty well, and not run block or get a push worth a damn has nothing to do with coaching, right? :wtf

....yep, your comments make sense to me :wacko:

hunter

I suggest we all decide it was just a bad game and move on. There were positives in the game. This is a long process, it will not happen overnite. We need to give the team and coaches a chance to perfect their trade. I see it as a little of both. Hopefully our second game will be better and on and on. As many have stated we won the game. Oklahoma and Texas A&M would be much happier if they had. Still think we will be okay.

ok coach Dave, you must be right :wacko: but the fact is adjustments are made on the sideline during the game and at half-time, right?? so fess up then, according to your statement the O line has inferior atheletes compared to Maine's D line? ok, I will buy that.......and the fact that they will stuggle for the rest of the year......but wait.......the fact that they could pass block pretty well, and not run block or get a push worth a damn has nothing to do with coaching, right? :wtf

....yep, your comments make sense to me :wacko:

hunter

You're missing my point.

My point is that it isn't all coaches, it isn't all players. The coaches instruct the players and the players execute the plays. I refuse to blame a missed block, a dropped pass or a fumble squarly on a coach. It just doesn't make sense.

Here we go again with the magic adjustments. :wasted If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say "if he just did this at half time", I'd have a sh#t load of nickels.

I think it just proves a point that, hopefully, the coaches will instill in the team every week - take *no one* for granted.

The Huskers will be up for the important games, of that I'm exceptionally confident. It's the smaller games (E.g., Wake and Baylor) that I have a tinge of nervousness about.

IRISH!

GBR!

I think it just proves a point that, hopefully, the coaches will instill in the team every week - take *no one* for granted.

The Huskers will be up for the important games, of that I'm exceptionally confident. It's the smaller games (E.g., Wake and Baylor) that I have a tinge of nervousness about.

IRISH!

GBR!

Yea, it seems that in the last, say 5 years, we have a tendency to play down to our competition. I don't know what it is. Even before Callahan it seemed we didn't just steam roll over lesser opponents like we should have.

i agree with some of what you said, but i can sure remember when Oz was coach, the half time adjustments were often HUGE and the play was almost always better(when it had to be) in the 2nd half.....that is coaching, changing the approach and making the proper adjustments....i don't think we saw that in the Maine game and as many have said.....i wonder if Cally is bound to coach his way, even when it doesn't work.......not just Cally, but the O line coaches as well, we will continue to monitor this thru the season and i hope i am wrong, but the art of making adjustments during the game and at half-time is the art of a well developed staff

and that of a winning program......let's just wait and see......

hunter

I can't see how we can make any real judgements about our offense at this point. We had three receivers out. We lost a starter on the offensive line a little over a week before kickoff. And we are starting a new QB. With all the turnovers we have to at least consider that first game jitters came into play.

I know we all saw some things that needed improvement, but we saw a lot of positive things also. Look at special teams. Nunn did a great job. He nailed 135 total yards on kick returns. Jordon did a great job kicking. If it carries over special teams will be a huge strong point. And how about Hardy? Seven receptions for 152 yards!

We'll know more next week. A lot more.