Key points of Nebraska/Washington

huskerpilot

These are my thoughts on the game, share yours too:

- Nebraska is a national contender

- if we want to fumble the ball, give it to good ol Cody Green

- Rex Bulkhead is officially our #1 running back

- Nebraska's defense still has LOTS of room for growth. inconsistent

- Taylor Martinez is playing like a solid 4 year, championship QB, but needs to continue to mature

- oddsmakers are idiots for thinking the number 8 team in the nation would only win by 3-5 points against an unranked team...whatever I made money

- Nebraska fans are the best in the nation, thanks to all the big red fans who went to the game and represented the state.

GBR

I agree. Helu looked amazing tonight. They are a great set of backs. We are lucky we have 2 backs to lean on and take the pressure off of Martinez. If we can keep all 3 healthy, this team will go places.

One more point:

-Our Kickoff and Punt coverage was excellent. Our Kickoffs were booming. Our punts were solid as usual. Our special teams impressed me today.

- Nebraska is a national contender (MNC?)

I would say so, yes

- if we want to fumble the ball, give it to good ol Cody Green

He has had trouble hanging on to it this season.

- Rex Bulkhead is officially our #1 running back

disagree, why do you say that? We don't have a #1 back, we have RB by committee just like in the NFL. The #1 back is a thing of the past in most programs nowadays.

- Nebraska's defense still has LOTS of room for growth. inconsistent

I surely didn't see this. We did have an issue on one drive stopping the run, and then a miscommunication on a PA pass. Other than that they dominated the game. We have probably the best secondary in the country. Sorry, you are way off base here.

- Taylor Martinez is playing like a solid 4 year, championship QB, but needs to continue to mature

:facepalm:

...all I have to say about that comment. Still not a good passer, but is definitely more than capable in this offense. He is not playing like a Sr. championship QB. Let's not get out of control here. He is our starter, our best option, and special talent. Let's not make him Frazier, Tebow, or even Pryor just yet.

- oddsmakers are idiots for thinking the number 8 team in the nation would only win by 3-5 points against an unranked team...whatever I made money

They must have been trying to balance early bets on Washington's side, I don't understand it if that wasn't it. Bookies are trying to make the bets even not predict a winner.

- Nebraska fans are the best in the nation, thanks to all the big red fans who went to the game and represented the state.

Agree here :throwdabones1:

- Boy, we really are a national contender this year.

- We are still a little up and down with Taylor. But, he was clutch in 2 3rd-and-long passes today, and he broke one for 80.

- Rex and Roy are both going to get 10-15 carries a game. But the way our offense is run, they are getting unleashed like never before.

- Our defense is scary good. Some breakdowns, but those are things that will get worked out. Remember the caliber of QB we played against. Locker's a guy that will create that 33-yard run, and the blown coverage is something I'm not too worried about lingering on.

- We got to stop catering to Cody Green, it's baffling. Get Lee some snaps if we want a 2 QB rotation.

- Nebraska fans are AWESOME. Way to drown out the stadium with "GO BIG RED" chants.

- The coaching staff really knows how to get their boys to come ready to play. What a START.

-Helu and Burkhead are 1 and 1a.

-Still some things to work on, but the team looks to be able to play and have as just a good chance to beat anyone (including Alabama).

-Offense is very explosive (might be the most explosive in the nation)

-Run D needs improvement, but outside of KState and OkSt it's hard to think of anyone that will line up and run it down our throats.

-Hard to think of anyone being able to pass effectively on our D, bunch of physical ball hawks that understand how to cover their opponent (already known just reasserted today).

-I'm not ready to say Nebraska is a national contender. We *could* be. This is still just the third game and there is a lot we improve upon. I like to maintain the underdog status and keep working our way up.

-Our offense looked great, but Washington helped us achieve that look. They missed so many tackles it was ridiculous.

-We don't need to rely on our defense to win games. If the offense and defense plays steady, good things will happen.

-That was pretty cool to see the TV cameras shaking for the first 10 minutes of the game and then the last 50 minutes all you could clearly hear was "Go Big Red" etc.

-Our pass defense locked up Locker and it was impressive to observe. I hope we can attribute some of the longer run gains to the fact that we were so keyed up on defending the pass.

-Regardless of Green's fumble, I didn't really understand why he was inserted into the game at that point. Up by two touchdowns in only the second quarter? It just didn't make sense to me although I still trust the coaches had a rational reason.

-Come November, I'm going write in Mark May since he seems to know what he's talking about and would likely make a good politician :sarcasm