Found out this last Monday that our 4 year old son has type 1 diabetes. Needless to say this has been a pretty trying week for my wife and I. Add a sinus infection for me, and an ear infection for the 1 year old boy and we are physically and emotionally spent.

On the bright side, our 4 year old is doing well with his blood sugar checks and insulin shots. He seems to feel very good these days. He is eating better than he ever has. It's going to be a while before I come to terms with his medical disability, though. I still look at the situation as if he is "sick" or something, not that he has a medical handicap that will be with him for life. A life that can be totally normal outside of being diabetic.

His first month of prescriptions ran about $280 after insurance, which will be tough for us on a monthly basis. Not to mention the bill that is coming for 3 days in the hospital. Anyone else here have first hand experience with type 1 diabetes?

Monitoring their BGL is the most important thing along with following a regimen of diet and medication that ensures their sugar is kept under control. Long term effects of non compliance are not anything you want to see happen. There are companys that offer coverage of diabetic supplies; but I'm not sure what the cost is for a pediatric patient vs. adult. Sorry for being so general but each person is unique in how treatment is given.

My prayers and thoughts

Rawhide

Man Im real sorry to here that bro. I am a type 2 diabetic. First thing that has to go is regular soda pop. Stuff is loaded with sugar. Coke Zero rocks!

Rawhide is right. Watch the diet and see how certain foods affect the blood sugar. I have found that I can eat alot of carbs and it doesnt really raise my levels.

Everyone is different.

My son was diagnosed about 8 months ago, he is 9. I'm not sure how active your kid is at his age so it may not be as hard to keep his BS pretty stable. My son races motocross and it is constant battle of highs and lows.

I'm not going to lie, the first few months suck. It takes awhile to get into a routine. Ajusting carbs and insulin can really start to wear on you. We had to go to school and teach all of the teachers, nurses and bus drivers on how to take care of him and what to do if he went into a diabetic shock.

I'm not sure where you live at or where your doctor is but if you need any information or any help at all please feel free to ask. Without my fiancee I'm not sure I would have made it through this. My son's doctor has made comments that my women may know more about diabetis then his nurses do. She has a great system down for keeping track of daily carb intakes and insulin dosages. Anytime he has had periods of low's or high's we have been able to go back and look through her records and find out what we have to change. We have pretty much dealt with everything. He has went into shock once, it is really hard to stay calm but it isn't that big of deal if you remember to take the right steps. Your heart will sink the first time he wakes up low in the middle of the night and he looks drunk and you can hear his heart pounding from across the room.

Even after 8 months I still can't remember everything you are suppose to do when he is below 60 or 70, It's something different depending on what time of day it is. We are still having to get up at midnight and 3 every now and then because he is low at bedtime.

Jesus! I'm getting stressed just talking about it! You have a lot to learn and take in. I just tried to take short notes and I carry a cheat sheet around in my wallet.

My kid is a little older then yours so you may not have to worry about it, but about one week after being diagnosed he got really mad at the world. He was fed up with being stabbed and poked. He hated me, my women, the doctors and mostly the disease. He refused to take his shots, and then sometimes when he did take a shot he would refuse to eat. To make a long story short, it took some very very tough love to get him through it. I would have to scream my head off at him to get him to listen and then he would start to cry so I would have to leave the room so I could go break down myself. Finally after a trip to the hospital one night they showed him the tubes they were going to insert so they could feed him, he started to straighten out and finally started to understand that he could be a normal kid and do everything he used to before he got sick. To this day though it is really hard to let him out of my sight.

Anyway, if you want to PM me I can give you my email address and phone number if you want it. I would be more then happy to share the knowledge that we have learned. When it comes to healthy snacks and 15 gram carb snacks, we pretty much know everyone of them. If your kid is always hungry we have came up with some pretty good meals that allow him to eat a lot more but keep the carbs and calories down. If your lucky he loves chicken! My son loves chicken and it's one of the best things for him. My kid has been to a couple really great day camps for kids with diabetis. If you are having problems with him dropping low or spiking really high at certain times of the the day we can tell you our system on how to figure out what dosage you need to adjust to fix the problem. We have ask every question under the sun so we probably have an answer for it. Just let me know.

Please don't take this as any form of bragging because it's not, I am proud of him for wanting to help. If your kid ever doubts himself, maybe he thinks he is different and can't do everything he wants to, I would be more then happy if your in the area to introduce your kid to mine. He likes to show kids younger then him that they are still normal and can do anything they want. He usually gives the little guys one of his motocross trophies as a reminder that your no different then anyone else.

Take care man, don't forget to breathe once in awhile, it's a lot to take in and a short amount of time to do it.

• Fire 4

Thanks everyone,

Dizzturbed, did your kid go through a honeymoon period? Also, do they attend public school?

We are doing good with caring for our son. He is a trooper that is for sure. I am sort of glad that he is getting used to this at a young age.

Caring for him means anticipating and calculating. Anticipating his activity level and carb intake, and calculating the correct insulin dosage. I am pretty good at math, and my memory is good, so I have strengths to rely on.

My wife is somewhat overloaded emotionally and concerned about school and babysitters that have to care for him when she is at work. I know when things settle into a routine that she will be more comfortable. The more people that are trained to take care of him the better.

Life is very unpredictable, and you have to take the good with the bad. I appreciate all of the support.

Thanks everyone,

Dizzturbed, did your kid go through a honeymoon period? Also, do they attend public school?

We are doing good with caring for our son. He is a trooper that is for sure. I am sort of glad that he is getting used to this at a young age.

Caring for him means anticipating and calculating. Anticipating his activity level and carb intake, and calculating the correct insulin dosage. I am pretty good at math, and my memory is good, so I have strengths to rely on.

My wife is somewhat overloaded emotionally and concerned about school and babysitters that have to care for him when she is at work. I know when things settle into a routine that she will be more comfortable. The more people that are trained to take care of him the better.

Life is very unpredictable, and you have to take the good with the bad. I appreciate all of the support.

Yes he did have a honeymoon period. I don't remember exactly when it took place but it was a good month or 2 into it. Yes he does attend public school. We are lucky to have a great bunch of people there that are willing to look after him like he is their own. The toughest part was getting bus drivers trained and having to equip all of them will glucose pills and emergency needles.

Thanks to everybody for your well wishes. ISRP, keep the questions coming if you need to. You guy's take care.

Found out this last Monday that our 4 year old son has type 1 diabetes. Needless to say this has been a pretty trying week for my wife and I. Add a sinus infection for me, and an ear infection for the 1 year old boy and we are physically and emotionally spent.

On the bright side, our 4 year old is doing well with his blood sugar checks and insulin shots. He seems to feel very good these days. He is eating better than he ever has. It's going to be a while before I come to terms with his medical disability, though. I still look at the situation as if he is "sick" or something, not that he has a medical handicap that will be with him for life. A life that can be totally normal outside of being diabetic.

His first month of prescriptions ran about $280 after insurance, which will be tough for us on a monthly basis. Not to mention the bill that is coming for 3 days in the hospital. Anyone else here have first hand experience with type 1 diabetes?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner ISRP. You might want to go see your local Masons/Shriners. We do great things for kids. Let me know how this turns our. You and your family are in our prayers.

T_O_B