The Hurdles Ahead for the teams ahead of Nebraska

HuskerMoon

Holy kool-aid, Batman. We have at least 5 REALLY tough games before we can even think about Nebraska winning the Big 12, much less playing for a National Title.

Kansas State - David and Martin/Whaley are good, but they are certainly no substitute for Dillard, and we can never replace Suh. Daniel Thomas is going to put his head down and come at us behind a pretty tough o-line. If we can avoid turning the ball over, we should control the game, but it'll be a tough one.

aTm - They have athletes on offense just like we do, and a couple really good LB's ready to take every shot they can at Martinez - in College Station, just as loud and louder than Seattle.

Okie State - Kendall Hunter is probably the best back in the Big 12, and Weeden is really coming around - probably as good as Robinson was. We have not fared very well vs. the Pokes in recent years...

Missouri - Everyone will disagree with me on this, but Gabbert and Co. will give us a fight in Lincoln. They have receivers that can take it all the way on any play.

ut - Haven't beaten them in over a decade. They're bringing a tough running game, and play action off that - and the Huskies really burned us with play action a few times. Gilbert is probably a better passer than Locker, and he has some pretty good receivers. They have a defense that is arguably as good as ours, and Jeffcoat is licking his chops waiting for a chance to nail Martinez.

I'm normally not a Negative Nancy, but Washington really isn't that good, so I don't think we fully know where we are as a team.

Sorry, did you miss Missouri's game this weekend? Our DBacks are going to make it rain this year with picks. ATM had a rough weekend. KSU has a good running offense but a WKU defense.

KSU and misery are solid W's in my book at this point. OKIE light is a lean. ATM from what I've seen this year is a lean our way. Texas is a 50/50.

I think you may be looking at this thru some red colored glasses.

#1 I can see Bama losing maybe 2 in SEC play. Maybe.

#2 really- what 2 teams are gonna beat Ohio State? Penn Sate, Wiscy, Iowa all good but not great. Michigan has a video game QB but they are no where near OSU talent level.

#3 2 losses? Where? They run the table I think.

#4 I watched the Tech game last night. Whorns O-line sux, running game mediocre, QB mediocre, WR drop passes alot. Never safe to base judgment on 1 game but they look pretty over-rated. But 4 losses? 2 Maybe.

#5 might drop 1 to Air Force or Utah but probably run the table.

#6- ducks will hang 50 on most opponents. Somehow Pac 10 teams always lose 1 they shouldn't- either Cal, USC, UW or O State gets them but that is it.

Exactly. Holy moly, Nebraska fans are supposed to be knowledgeable and able to put aside the rose colored glasses.

Also, to the people talking about NU running the table: yes Nebraska could/should be favored in every game. But this team has not proven that they are able to go a whole season without a slip up. They can't go a quarter against inferior teams without slip ups (penalties, blown assignments, blown communication, etc.) and the past two years have been prone to slip ups (TTech two years ago - I know they were underdogs but let's face it, they had that game won and let it go, ISU last year), until they prove they can live up to expectations, just being favored doesn't mean they'll win

I think you may be looking at this thru some red colored glasses.

#1 I can see Bama losing maybe 2 in SEC play. Maybe.

#2 really- what 2 teams are gonna beat Ohio State? Penn Sate, Wiscy, Iowa all good but not great. Michigan has a video game QB but they are no where near OSU talent level.

#3 2 losses? Where? They run the table I think.

#4 I watched the Tech game last night. Whorns O-line sux, running game mediocre, QB mediocre, WR drop passes alot. Never safe to base judgment on 1 game but they look pretty over-rated. But 4 losses? 2 Maybe.

#5 might drop 1 to Air Force or Utah but probably run the table.

#6- ducks will hang 50 on most opponents. Somehow Pac 10 teams always lose 1 they shouldn't- either Cal, USC, UW or O State gets them but that is it.

Exactly. Holy moly, Nebraska fans are supposed to be knowledgeable and able to put aside the rose colored glasses.

Also, to the people talking about NU running the table: yes Nebraska could/should be favored in every game. But this team has not proven that they are able to go a whole season without a slip up. They can't go a quarter against inferior teams without slip ups (penalties, blown assignments, blown communication, etc.) and the past two years have been prone to slip ups (TTech two years ago - I know they were underdogs but let's face it, they had that game won and let it go, ISU last year), until they prove they can live up to expectations, just being favored doesn't mean they'll win

What we did last year matters has little baring on this year.

We have a few different play makers that would've picked us up 3 games last year + A healthy Helu & Rex for the time being.. Don't forget our offensive woes were hamstrung even more by a beat up Helu and a sidelined Rex last season. Our Dbacks are improved from last year, spare maybe the line backer position. Our line is slightly less dominant than last year.

Yes our team doesn't play perfect and occasionally will give up a big play. However, we are far more consistent in gaining big plays and preventing them than every other team in the Big12. Winning football games is about execution and consistency. We've been pretty consistent on offense since our first game, and our defense has been lights out for the most part.

Only 3 times this season have teams legitimately scored on our team. The rest of the time our offense has fumbled the ball inside the 15 to set up the opponent for a score.

Gabbert isn't going to hang more passing yards on us than Locker. His best running back is kicked off the team. Mizzou is playing a lot of freshman and sophomores due to injuries. I just don't see them putting up points against our defense without a solid running game.

while i expect Alabama and OSU to trip up somewhere, the chances of them doing so are just as great as our chances of tripping up are. we definitely do not control our own destiny. there is a pretty good chance that 3 of these 4 go undefeated: Bama, OSU, Oregon, Nebraska. having a conference championship game helps our chances of jumping someone late, but as of now, we are ranked last out of all these teams

i posted this in the thread about polls, but it belongs here...

there could easily be 6 undefeated teams at the end of the year. a big 12 team, 'bama, tOSU, tcu, bsu, and maybe even oregon. that means that even after the bcs games, there could still be 3 undefeated teams. i know it is a long season, and a very unlikely scenario, but what a travesty if it does play out that way. there should never be more than one undefeated team at the end of the year.

oh, and... :bonesflag:

Well I think texas should be on the exposed rador becuzz I watched the rice game and they didnt play very well,and their O LINE better watch out becuzz they are still up 2 their old tricks ( holding and chop blocking) they still have no running game . Ohh wait the 8 mins they had the ball against texas tech well the qb still looked like he didnt knoe what he was doing with all them red raiders gettin after him.My guess is that colts lil brother will take his spot after the sooner game :laughpound then It will be like colt never left :facepalm: and then we can hear about how hes the best qb in the nation :LOLtartar

I honestly think we can handle anybody except possibly Alabama right "now".

Yeah, maybe it's just the homer in me but it's as objective as I am capable. Our D lines up with anybody. TMart/Rex/Roy are very, very "real" and will be a load for anybody to deal with. Kicking and special teams are very, very good.

Sure, we can self-destruct vs anybody too. But unlike last year, we have an explosive as hell offense that gives us a lot more margin for error. We're talking night and day difference here.

I've watched Ohio State and while they're impressive to be sure I think we can take them. Who else is impressive in the Big10? PSU already got ripped by Bama (doesn't make them a bad team....but just sayin) and really aren't overly powerful, Iowa already lost to Arizona, who else? We could score 50 on Michigan with or 3rd string offense. No joke.

We tear up Texas and Oklahoma in the ccg and we're ready for anybody. We're in the hunt!!

As most teams play their third game of the year this week the focus on the National Championship pictures becomes slightly less fuzzy. It's a fact that poltics and human beings play a role in the FBS National championship. This makes it all the more interesting in my opinion and why I never use the acronym MNC or the word Mythical. The BCS National Championship is not a myth and either is the trophy or prestigue that comes with it. The process at this time is just subject to the flaws of humanity as is the game of football as will be the playoff system that eventually replaces it. That being said lets take a look at the major hurdles the teams ahead of Nebraska will face in the coming weeks.

(USA Today Coaches Poll Rankings week 3, Sept 19)

#1 Alabama: Toughest Competition ahead - @ Arkansas, Florida, @ S. Carolina @LSU, Auburn. Most likely number of losses. 2

Bama is as cocky as they are over hyped. They are a good football team, they will not get throught he SEC Unscathed.

#2 Ohio State: Toughest Competition ahead- @ Wisconsin, Penn State, @ Iowa, Michigab. Most likely number of losses. 2

Ohio State has won and won big. That being said they gave up a LOT of points to a scrappy Miami team. Vunerability on defense loses them some football games ahead.

3: Boise State: Toughest Competition ahead- @Oregon State, Hawaii, Fresno State. Most likely number of losses. 2

Boise is the darling of the meida and the folks there in Bronco land are really buying into it. SO are some of the voters. Sorry, I'm not. After a close game with an obviously overated VT team, the Bronco's are going to fall when a WAC team comes up and bites them in the butt if not sooner. The Beavers will be pumped up and ready to put Boise in their place, on the pedestal of mediocrity..

#4 Texas: Toughest Competition ahead- Oklahoma, @Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State. Most likely number of losses. 4

Is anyone out there that doesn't live in or come from the state or Texas, graduate from UT, or isn't on the douchehorn express bandwagon really all the impressed with Texas? Unimpressives wins with a incosnistent young QB. Big Holes on offense and defense tell me this team loses most of the big ones and maybe an upset or two. I hope for a sloppy win in the red river shootout to inflate that poll number come Oct 16. I'm sure a lot of husker fans out there are with me.

#5 TCU: Toughest Competition ahead- BYU, Air Force, @ Utah, San Diego State. Most likely number of losses. 2The Horned frogs are another media darling who will not make it through a subpar conference unscathed and join Boise on that pedestal of mediocrity.. I think maybe PITT A.D. Steve Pedersen should award the better team of the two the mediocrity trophy for playing next to nobody.

#6 Oregon: Toughest Competition ahead- Stanford, @USC, Arizona, @ Oregon State. Most likely number of losses. Maybe 1.

This team is easily the most underated and scariest team in the top 10 right now. Oregon is dominating on both sides of the ball. They might hiccup in the PAC-10 this year, but the Ducks are quacking and they look tough.

Synopsis: Football is obviously a very fluid sport. The teams and circumstances change every week but based off of what I see so far this is my prognostication. The BCS poll will be released in a few weeks and we will see how closely the AP and Usa Today polls translate to that poll, usually it's fairly close. Nebraska certainly controls their own destiny and if they play many more games like they did yesterday don't be suprised to see them play for a National championship.

Boise will go undefeated. 100% certain of this one.

Ohio State will go undefeated. 95% certain of this one.

Alabama may also go undefeated --- or, at most, drop a game. Again 95% certain that they have no more than one loss --- and 60% certain they go undefeated.

As for the Huskers --- we go undefeated to --- 60% certain.

TCU? Who knows or cares.

Oregon --- not sure. Likely also undefeated.

As I see it there could be 3-5 teams undefeated come bowl selection time. Boise, Ohio State and Oregon --- and maybe the Huskers and Bama --- and, I suppose TCU (but they have no chance).

If I am correct, Especially if both Bama and Ohio State go undefeated, even if NU is undefeated we don't play in the MNC. Even if one of the two (Bama or Ohio State) goes down, if Oregon stays undefeated Nu is still unlikely to play in the MNC. For the Huskers to get there, two of the three of Bama, Ohio State and Oregon must lose --- and, of course, we must be undefeated beating both Texas and Oklahoma (or Texas twice).

Bottom line, we are somewhat of a long shot --- but stranger things have happened.

As most teams play their third game of the year this week the focus on the National Championship pictures becomes slightly less fuzzy. It's a fact that poltics and human beings play a role in the FBS National championship. This makes it all the more interesting in my opinion and why I never use the acronym MNC or the word Mythical. The BCS National Championship is not a myth and either is the trophy or prestigue that comes with it. The process at this time is just subject to the flaws of humanity as is the game of football as will be the playoff system that eventually replaces it. That being said lets take a look at the major hurdles the teams ahead of Nebraska will face in the coming weeks.

(USA Today Coaches Poll Rankings week 3, Sept 19)

#1 Alabama: Toughest Competition ahead - @ Arkansas, Florida, @ S. Carolina @LSU, Auburn. Most likely number of losses. 2

Bama is as cocky as they are over hyped. They are a good football team, they will not get throught he SEC Unscathed.

#2 Ohio State: Toughest Competition ahead- @ Wisconsin, Penn State, @ Iowa, Michigab. Most likely number of losses. 2

Ohio State has won and won big. That being said they gave up a LOT of points to a scrappy Miami team. Vunerability on defense loses them some football games ahead.

3: Boise State: Toughest Competition ahead- @Oregon State, Hawaii, Fresno State. Most likely number of losses. 2

Boise is the darling of the meida and the folks there in Bronco land are really buying into it. SO are some of the voters. Sorry, I'm not. After a close game with an obviously overated VT team, the Bronco's are going to fall when a WAC team comes up and bites them in the butt if not sooner. The Beavers will be pumped up and ready to put Boise in their place, on the pedestal of mediocrity..

#4 Texas: Toughest Competition ahead- Oklahoma, @Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State. Most likely number of losses. 4

Is anyone out there that doesn't live in or come from the state or Texas, graduate from UT, or isn't on the douchehorn express bandwagon really all the impressed with Texas? Unimpressives wins with a incosnistent young QB. Big Holes on offense and defense tell me this team loses most of the big ones and maybe an upset or two. I hope for a sloppy win in the red river shootout to inflate that poll number come Oct 16. I'm sure a lot of husker fans out there are with me.

#5 TCU: Toughest Competition ahead- BYU, Air Force, @ Utah, San Diego State. Most likely number of losses. 2The Horned frogs are another media darling who will not make it through a subpar conference unscathed and join Boise on that pedestal of mediocrity.. I think maybe PITT A.D. Steve Pedersen should award the better team of the two the mediocrity trophy for playing next to nobody.

#6 Oregon: Toughest Competition ahead- Stanford, @USC, Arizona, @ Oregon State. Most likely number of losses. Maybe 1.

This team is easily the most underated and scariest team in the top 10 right now. Oregon is dominating on both sides of the ball. They might hiccup in the PAC-10 this year, but the Ducks are quacking and they look tough.

Synopsis: Football is obviously a very fluid sport. The teams and circumstances change every week but based off of what I see so far this is my prognostication. The BCS poll will be released in a few weeks and we will see how closely the AP and Usa Today polls translate to that poll, usually it's fairly close. Nebraska certainly controls their own destiny and if they play many more games like they did yesterday don't be suprised to see them play for a National championship.

Boise will go undefeated. 100% certain of this one.

Ohio State will go undefeated. 95% certain of this one.

Alabama may also go undefeated --- or, at most, drop a game. Again 95% certain that they have no more than one loss --- and 60% certain they go undefeated.

As for the Huskers --- we go undefeated to --- 60% certain.

TCU? Who knows or cares.

Oregon --- not sure. Likely also undefeated.

As I see it there could be 3-5 teams undefeated come bowl selection time. Boise, Ohio State and Oregon --- and maybe the Huskers and Bama --- and, I suppose TCU (but they have no chance).

If I am correct, Especially if both Bama and Ohio State go undefeated, even if NU is undefeated we don't play in the MNC. Even if one of the two (Bama or Ohio State) goes down, if Oregon stays undefeated Nu is still unlikely to play in the MNC. For the Huskers to get there, two of the three of Bama, Ohio State and Oregon must lose --- and, of course, we must be undefeated beating both Texas and Oklahoma (or Texas twice).

Bottom line, we are somewhat of a long shot --- but stranger things have happened.

We have played three weak opponents in this very young season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

You are, once more, right on the money. UW is not a real measure of much of anything. NU has really yet to prove anything --- sure the signs are all in the right direction, but until we beat a Texas or an Oklahoma (CCG) this year we can't say too much.

I think NU does have a reasonable shot at going undefeated --- but also a reasonable shot at two losses as well. certainly, BSU, Ohio State and Oregon have a higher probability of going undefeated than do we.

We have played three weak opponents in this very young season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

:yeah

And let's also not forget that the last two years, Nebraska has lost a game that made you go :facepalm:

I understand the excitement, but we haven't even started conference play yet and our best win will be against a middle-of-the-pack (or lower) PAC 10 team.

I am 95% certain that the media darlings Boise State and TCU don't live up to the hype and lose at least one game a piece this year.

Boise to Oregon State, Hawaii or Fresno..

TCU to BYU, or Utah.. maybe an upset from a pitiful team as well.

I am not at all impressed with Boise, especially after they blew a huge lead and let an awful VT team come back into the game and almost beat them. Some sister of the poor from the WAC with some moxy has just as good of a chance to beat BSU as VT did or Oregon State will.

TCU.. See above, subtract statement on VT, add Mountain West for WAC.

TCU and Boise are the same team in two different conferences, one conference slightly better than the other (MWC). They are mediocre teams that beat nobody and runs the table and expect to do so every year. Problem is competition is getting better all around and somebody is going to knock them both off of their high horses. MARK MY WORDS.. MARKING EM? HAVE EM MARKED? GOOD!! .

IMHO the only reason Boise State is getting all the fanfare they are is because of the powers to be in the NCAA wanting to keep Congress off their backs about having a playoff system, and the media is more than happy to skip along with them. They play maybe two quality opponents each year, and can run up the numbers on most of the others, and they are the darlings of the media and voters in the polls. They have yet to prove that they really belong IMHO.

And how Texas can be ranked ahead of us is a total mystery to me, after listening to their game Saturday. The offense is woeful to say the least, and has a long way to go before they can be considered a true contender for the NC. I would also put our defense up against theirs any day. Our game with them can't come soon enough, and I hope that Bo has our players ready to rip some Texas arse. That would make my season, and I wouldn't even mind running up the score a little just to make a statement to the rest of the Little 10 as we leave.

TCU and Boise are the same team in two different conferences, one conference slightly better than the other (MWC). They are mediocre teams that beat nobody and runs the table and expect to do so every year. Problem is competition is getting better all around and somebody is going to knock them both off of their high horses. MARK MY WORDS.. MARKING EM? HAVE EM MARKED? GOOD!! .

Except that Boise is actually a good team. It's OK to gripe about their schedule - that's a legit argument. But to say they're mediocre is way off base. They have a fine offense and their defense is serviceable. They can score points on anyone and make their opponent work for their scores. It's not an accident that they've won these games against BCS opponents - it's just easier when you only have to get "up" for one or two games a year.