One Fumble Won't Change Watson QB Outlook.

One fumble won't change Watson's QB outlook

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on September 19, 2010 at 12:45PM CST

Cody Green had been 2-for-2 on leading touchdown drives when coming in for a second-quarter series this season.

But on Saturday, Green fumbled on his first play and Washington scored two plays later to bring the score to 21-14. Taylor Martinez returned on the next series.

It was a disappointing play, of course, but not one that seems likely to change the way Husker coaches are using their quarterbacks.

"We'll put him in to give him a series and continue to develop him," Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said of Green after the game.

"He's been really reliable and dependable. That's not the message neither Bo nor I want to send to him. He's a great team guy. He's been outstanding for us. This battle is really close. We have a lot of faith and trust in him."

Carl Pelini may be a defensive coach, but you can bet he's taking plenty of pleasure in how this Husker offense is going.

"I love what they're doing. It takes a lot of pressure off us on the defensive side," Carl said. "Just grind it out, it was a physical game by the offense, it was wonderful to see. And I told Taylor, I thought he served a little notice today, because when I was recruiting him there were a lot of Pac-10 coaches kind of snorting at the idea of us playing him at quarterback."

Sipple writes more about Martinez's big showing in his column today.

Asked if he thought he served that notice to the Pac-10 teams, Martinez said: "I hope so."

Someone asked the redshirt freshman quarterback a question about what Pac-10 schools did recruiting him.

"I don't feel like talking about that right now," Martinez said. "It's just about Nebraska right now."

Interesting reading the Seattle Times' coverage of the game today as we prepare to head back to Nebraska.

One of the columns, written by Bud Withers, comes with the headline: "Rampaging Cornhuskers are out of the Huskies' league."

Withers ends his column by writing: "All the UW fans in the crowd of 72,876 need to know is there won't be anybody of the Huskers' ilk showing up here anytime soon."

Seems like Nebraska's Saturday showing made a big impression on a lot of folks.

I know some Husker fans give Mark May a hard time, but he said last night on ESPN that he ranks NU No. 3 and argued against Lou Holtz that Nebraska is currently the best team in the Big 12.

It figures such praise would come. After all, Carl Pelini said in the postgame: "That's as complete a game as we've had since I've been here."

Link

I actually don't mind this, its good to see the staff still has faith in Cody and isn't going to let a coouple of plays effect the game plan. He could still bring a lot to the offense in the event that Taylor goes down, and clearly he has the same problems he had last year, where he will force plays trying to make something happen (last year it was more with his throws). I'm comfortable with him comming in for a series to work out those issues just in case we need him.

:cowbell: Hear ye, Hear ye: Prediction time: I predict that Cody Green will never start a game at quarterback at Nebraska. BUT, somewhere down the road, MArtinez will get banged up, even if its only one game, and i believe all this preping green will pay off as he will lead us to a victory. It may not be this year or even next year, but by the time he graduates, it will have happened. I am taking this one to the back. hope i'm not wrong :corndance

Cody needs to get rid of that cold so he stops coughing it up on every snap.

:rollin Actually it's not 1 fumble. It's 3. Hopefully Green does get to the point that he can contribute. At this stage of the season it's pretty obvious who the starter is. He should see some action for sure this week and maybe some mop up against K State. I sure hope they don't put him in when the game is still in question against texas.

If our QB is expected to get fifteen carries a game as well as take a sack now and again, you'd better have your backup raring to go. It's no different than our RB situation––you need a competent #2. I didn't fully understand the decision to bring him in at that point in the game, except they wanted him in while there was still a tiny bit of heat on. What I liked about the fumble was that it came on a high effort play where he was scrapping for more yards.

Next time I hope they take a timeout, take Cody aside and remind him that he doesn't have to score in two plays. Part of it looks to me like jitters and the idea that "I have to wow everyone to keep the job." If Cody has another two-fumble on three carry day, Zac had best get his locker and primo parking spot back. We have a guy in Zac that I would feel comfortable with at #1, much less #2.

how bad is Zac Lee sucking right now to still be so far behind CG... i mean damn i just cant figure out he went from started to third string.. with CG remaining the backup most of the year and then suprasing ZL this year.. its all very confusing.. but like i said in some other thread the dudes look like they genuinly stoked on TM and his success