FSU AND Miami proved a point

Anyone watch the game tonight? Miami and FSU proved something NU fans have been gripping about. Just because Callahan passed 3 times inside the 5 yard line was no gurantee that rushing it up the middle or sideline was going to get it done. FSU ran 3 draws from the 2 yard line and Miami's defense held them. Miami tried to pass twice and rush once inside the 5 yard also and they could not do it rushing or passing. If those 2 teams could not do it, there's no reason to believe that our offensive line which was being pushed around all day could have created enough holes for any of our RB's to score a TD.

That decision to pass 3 times inside the 5 yard line does not haunt me anymore after seeing those 2 teams fail to score tonight.

Anyone watch the game tonight? Miami and FSU proved something NU fans have been gripping about. Just because Callahan passed 3 times inside the 5 yard line was no gurantee that rushing it up the middle or sideline was going to get it done. FSU ran 3 draws from the 2 yard line and Miami's defense held them. Miami tried to pass twice and rush once inside the 5 yard also and they could not do it rushing or passing. If those 2 teams could not do it, there's no reason to believe that our offensive line which was being pushed around all day could have created enough holes for any of our RB's to score a TD.

That decision to pass 3 times inside the 5 yard line does not haunt me anymore after seeing those 2 teams fail to score tonight.

Wait, wait.

They ran three draws in a row?

No wonder they couldn't punch it in...

:yeah

Very good point, both of you...however...

:dis

Talent disparity between NU/Maine and UM/FSU is on a COMPLETELY different level.

True, the talent between the teams is night and day, but when your offensive line is being pushed around like ours, no coach in his right mind would try to rush it up the middle, specially when you have 8 guys in the box and the other 3 guys were covering TE's and WR's

I understand your question, but IMHO that's not the real question. You even acknowledge the talent gap was night and day. The bigger question is: why in the hell was the superior athletes being pushed around?

But to answer your question, at least try to run outside around the defense. If you don't make it try to run out of bounds and stop the clock. A counter or anyting. A dive up the middle with 8 in the box is tough. But try something. If dives are all we have in the play bood, then why even run the ball other than maybe once every 10th play to keep the defense honest?

I understand your question, but IMHO that's not the real question. You even acknowledge the talent gap was night and day. The bigger question is: why in the hell was the superior athletes being pushed around?

But to answer your question, at least try to run outside around the defense. If you don't make it try to run out of bounds and stop the clock. A counter or anyting. A dive up the middle with 8 in the box is tough. But try something. If dives are all we have in the play bood, then why even run the ball other than maybe once every 10th play to keep the defense honest?

Remember the third pass where the play got broken up and Zac ran to his right (the interceptions play) and 2 guys swarmed him? Our offensive line was allowing to much pentration. Same thing that happened against Miami tonight on their plays from 1st and goal. The offensive line was not creating any holes, Zac had been sacked twice already and our RB's were being zoomed in on. I am NOT trying to defend Callahan's play calling, all i am saying is people need to look at the bigger picture here.

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture also. Florida State and Miami are both top 25 ranked D1 teams with similar talent levels. Maine is a mediocre D2 team posting a 5-6 record last year. The talent level should be no where close to the same with Nebraska and Maine. Comparing the Miami/Florida State game to the Maine/Nebraska game is like comparing apples to oranges.

The bigger picture question still remains: why in the hell was Maine able to get any penetration through our OL? I don't give a rat's ass whether or not BC was keeping a lid on the playbook. I want to know why our OL was being dominated by mediocre D2 talent? These questions need to be addressed before we hit the "meat" of our schedule. If it's as easy as we made it for Maine, teams will simply line 8 in the box and beat us into the ground.

There's rarely any excuse not to make a TD when you're that close to the endzone with a 1st down. but even considering our game, and the FSU game last night, I still nominate last year's CSU vs CU ending as the most pathetic goal line ineptitude and bad decision-making in that kind of situation that I can recall:

1st and 1 at COL 1 Justin Holland (CSU) pass incomplete across the middle.

2nd and 1 at COL 1 Marcus Houston (CSU) rushed left side for no gain.

3rd and 1 at COL 1 Tristian Walker (CSU) rushed left side for -2 yards.

Down by 3 with time running out only needing a FG to tie the game. :bang

There's rarely any excuse not to make a TD when you're that close to the endzone with a 1st down. but even considering our game, and the FSU game last night, I still nominate last year's CSU vs CU ending as the most pathetic goal line ineptitude and bad decision-making in that kind of situation that I can recall:

1st and 1 at COL 1 Justin Holland (CSU) pass incomplete across the middle.

2nd and 1 at COL 1 Marcus Houston (CSU) rushed left side for no gain.

3rd and 1 at COL 1 Tristian Walker (CSU) rushed left side for -2 yards.

Down by 3 with time running out only needing a FG to tie the game. :bang

I agree. That CSU/CU game was the worst time management by a coach and a team. It's like they did not even know how much was left on the clock..

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture also. Florida State and Miami are both top 25 ranked D1 teams with similar talent levels. Maine is a mediocre D2 team posting a 5-6 record last year. The talent level should be no where close to the same with Nebraska and Maine. Comparing the Miami/Florida State game to the Maine/Nebraska game is like comparing apples to oranges.

The bigger picture question still remains: why in the hell was Maine able to get any penetration through our OL? I don't give a rat's ass whether or not BC was keeping a lid on the playbook. I want to know why our OL was being dominated by mediocre D2 talent? These questions need to be addressed before we hit the "meat" of our schedule. If it's as easy as we made it for Maine, teams will simply line 8 in the box and beat us into the ground.

my sentiments and thoughts EXACTLY!!! we will soon know the answer to this question....

hunter

evenly matched instate rivials compared to nebraska/maine is kinda a strech. i think there is a better point to that game, if the huskers dont manage to improve their running game they will have no offense at all. miami and FSU were both able to pass because they could run. no rushing threat just allows the defense to tee off on the QB, which wont be good against better defensive fronts. lack of a rushing threat is not something good to have and that goes for about every offense ever devised. should be some real concern about this, if we cant punch it in against maine in a short yardage situation in the coaching staffs opinion then what is the future look like for short and goal? better score before they get inside the 15 or 20 i guess. <_<

I think what's overlooked is that the QB from Free Shoes, being brand-spanking new to the position, wasn't trusted to pass in that situation. As much as I hate them, Miami is a pretty well coached team (hate scUM, but I kinda like Coker and what he's done for the program and his general attitude...seems like a good guy). I suspect FSU's failure to score had more to do with Miami recognizing formation and personnel than anything.

Miami could load the line of scrimmage because there was little threat he would throw and Bowden's tendancies go that way (Riverboat Gambler persona nonwithstanding...he plays safe-ball when games are close or he's not sure of his players). One throw to the corner, even if it was incomplete, would have made a lot of difference, I think.

What formation was NU running at the goal line? Power I? Offset I? Split Backs? Single Back? Were the huskers passing to the wide sides of the field? TE underneath? Back in the flat?

If Maine stacked the box for run, that also takes the middle of the field away on the goal line. If they played a normal front or a spread 7, then their DL must have gotten good penetration against the run. Also, I don't recall, but was this before or after Cory fumbled? Confidence in the players might have come into play here.

First rule of the WCO - spread the field horizontally. For whatever reason, 2 passes didn't do that or else (and I hope this is true) BC would have pounded in a run play.

I can only hope Cally and Co. saw something positive in another pass attempt, so that's what they called.

I plan on watching the entire Wake game this week, so I'll give myself the liberty of second-guessing then. As far as the 3 passes against Maine at the goal line, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to BC and assume he saw something we didn't....this time, at least.

IRISH!

GBR!

Comparing the Miami/Florida State game to the Maine/Nebraska game is like comparing apples to oranges.

Why do people use apples and oranges as a metaphor for difference? They're extremely similar: they are both roughly spherical, they're both fruits, they both serve the same function in a meal. In fact, if I was eating lunch with a guy who was eating an apple and I turned my back and when I turned back he was eating an orange, I doubt that I'd even notice. If we're trying to convey the idea of difference here, why not say something like "Comparing the Miami/Florida State game to the Maine/Nebraska game is like comparing apples to armadillos" or "apples to the early albums by the Velvet Underground with Nico"?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

(Printed with humble apologies to Chuck Klosterman, who absolutely rules)

If I didn't know anything about football, I probably wouldn't even notice a difference between the NU/Maine game and the FSU/Miami game. I mean they both had 22 players on the field. They both had an offense and a defense. If I were channel surfing somewhat fast, I wouldn't even know the difference.

The two games were extremely similar. Both games served the same purpose.