Big XII Developments Being Watched in Provo

Geographic absurdity for sure. However it was reported Texas guaranteed our non-football sports could have a home in the Big12 in the event that the Big10 tries [again] to force our hand.

What leads you to believe that the Big Ten attempted to force ND's hand this time? If anything, the frustration appears to be more from the other Big East schools.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when the Big Ten teams have 9-game conference schedules. I'm hoping that Purdue, Michigan and Michigan State drop ND. It's probably pie in the sky; but that's my hope.

Geographic absurdity for sure. However it was reported Texas guaranteed our non-football sports could have a home in the Big12 in the event that the Big10 tries [again] to force our hand.

What leads you to believe that the Big Ten attempted to force ND's hand this time? If anything, the frustration appears to be more from the other Big East schools.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when the Big Ten teams have 9-game conference schedules. I'm hoping that Purdue, Michigan and Michigan State drop ND. It's probably pie in the sky; but that's my hope.

Yes it is pie in the sky. ND has a lot of rivalries with a lot of different schools and that does contribute to them being able to stay independent when they haven't been good in a long time and avoid joining a conference in football.

The Big10 has attempted to get ND after adding PSU, and if they were successfull after theyre last attempt NU wouldnt be moving to the Big10. NU was the Big10's second choice thats the way it is.

I hate ND, but will point out they have been in a BCS game against Oregon ST in about 2003, more recently than NU.

If anyone was to benefit from having their own network it would be ND. We know the Big12 will allow this. When the TV contracts come up in 2015 for ND and 2016 for Big12 I could see ND and BYU in the Big12 in 2015. I know the Big10 gets a new deal in 2016 also, but ND has passed on the Big10 twice now and the Big12 offers something differnet. It all depends on the money NBC will give ND.

The Big10 has attempted to get ND after adding PSU, and if they were successfull after theyre last attempt NU wouldnt be moving to the Big10. NU was the Big10's second choice thats the way it is.

I hate ND, but will point out they have been in a BCS game against Oregon ST in about 2003, more recently than NU.

If anyone was to benefit from having their own network it would be ND. We know the Big12 will allow this. When the TV contracts come up in 2015 for ND and 2016 for Big12 I could see ND and BYU in the Big12 in 2015. I know the Big10 gets a new deal in 2016 also, but ND has passed on the Big10 twice now and the Big12 offers something differnet. It all depends on the money NBC will give ND.

They may have played more recently but last time we were in a BCS game it was the NCG. ND hasn't played for one of those in a while.

But that is if the Big 12 is still around. Us leaving the Big 12 is a much bigger deal now that we have become much better. I don't see ND going to a conference with all the rivalries they play each year and being able to set their own schedule.

yeah because there is such a big time gap between 2001 and 2003. Notre dame has only won like 1 bowl game in the past 15 years,that is so impressive! Can you say BCS pretenders?

yeah because there is such a big time gap between 2001 and 2003. Notre dame has only won like 1 bowl game in the past 15 years,that is so impressive! Can you say BCS pretenders?

Not to mention that Notre Damn team lost to Boston College, are you serious. Name any other team that goes 10-2 with a loss to BC that goes to a BCS game without an automatic bid.

Yeah and they get blown out everytime they go to a Bcs bowl or play someone descent in a bowl LOL! I like how they get an automatic bid into the Bcs if they can get into the Top 8. It's so funny how notredame somehow gets ranked high almost every preseason even if they .500 season the year before.

It's netspeak for asking us to join and trying to destroy our alternatives. Lloyd Carr said what Big10 fans have been saying all this time this week. I don't think anyone knows the details of what Texas promised since it was probably their private agreement with 'Savvy' Jack Swarbrick. Although after reading this board, it didn't strike me as odd that they could arrange something like that.

Above posters are getting the records wrong but no matter. In the era of 10 BCS teams it's unlikely a 2 loss Notre Dame is ever not invited because the spsonsors want feel secure they will get full stadiums. In that light a qualfiying NU team should get frequent invites if you finish 2nd or 3rd in the big10+2

It's netspeak for asking us to join and trying to destroy our alternatives. Lloyd Carr said what Big10 fans have been saying all this time this week. I don't think anyone knows the details of what Texas promised since it was probably their private agreement with 'Savvy' Jack Swarbrick. Although after reading this board, it didn't strike me as odd that they could arrange something like that.

Above posters are getting the records wrong but no matter. In the era of 10 BCS teams it's unlikely a 2 loss Notre Dame is ever not invited because the spsonsors want feel secure they will get full stadiums. In that light a qualfiying NU team should get frequent invites if you finish 2nd or 3rd in the big10+2

How so notredame only has 1 bowl win since 1994 and that was to a SH*T hawaii team. And last time I checked notredame has been blown out in every bcs game so how do I have my facts wrong? Also notredame gets in a BCS bowl if they are in the top 8

From all that I have read about the situation between the Big Ten and UNL, I don't find this to be the case. Now, this is with the caveat that I fully believe the time table was expedited because of the Big XII ultimatum. If there was no ultimatum, then there is a good possibility that the outcome may have been different.

Just for clarification, when the Big Ten approached ND at the end of the last century it was fully supported by the academic staff at ND. The hold-up was performed by the athletic administration, who then decided to smear the situation in the public press. It has truly left an "interesting" taste in the mouth of Big Ten personnel and fans when thinking about ND.

It's netspeak for asking us to join and trying to destroy our alternatives. Lloyd Carr said what Big10 fans have been saying all this time this week.

I haven't read what LLLLLLoyd said this week; therefore, I can't comment on it. As for destroying alternatives, I guess it's a matter of perspective. A tremendous upgrade to the Graduate and Research programs at ND obviously take a backseat to the football program. I would see that as enhancement instead of destroying alternatives.

From all that I have read about the situation between the Big Ten and UNL, I don't find this to be the case. Now, this is with the caveat that I fully believe the time table was expedited because of the Big XII ultimatum. If there was no ultimatum, then there is a good possibility that the outcome may have been different.

Just for clarification, when the Big Ten approached ND at the end of the last century it was fully supported by the academic staff at ND. The hold-up was performed by the athletic administration, who then decided to smear the situation in the public press. It has truly left an "interesting" taste in the mouth of Big Ten personnel and fans when thinking about ND.

It's netspeak for asking us to join and trying to destroy our alternatives. Lloyd Carr said what Big10 fans have been saying all this time this week.

I haven't read what LLLLLLoyd said this week; therefore, I can't comment on it. As for destroying alternatives, I guess it's a matter of perspective. A tremendous upgrade to the Graduate and Research programs at ND obviously take a backseat to the football program. I would see that as enhancement instead of destroying alternatives.

It wasn't a deparmtental problem as much as a professors vs alumni and students problem. A century of dealing with Big# left a bitter enough taste in the community's mouth that no promise of research money would make joining the conference pallatable.

Ha! Notre Lame fans crack me up. They continue to believe that their school is not only still relevant but that they're the center of the CFB universe. And of course no decision their school has ever made has been wrong, no matter how ridiculous or self serving. Well Joe please continue to ride on your high horse and don't forget to remind us little Huskers how fresh the air is up there, because I assure you it never gets old. :facepalm:

It wasn't a deparmtental problem as much as a professors vs alumni and students problem. A century of dealing with Big# left a bitter enough taste in the community's mouth that no promise of research money would make joining the conference pallatable.

The people that I have spoken to know the faculty personally, and they have stated numerous times over the last few years just how much the academia at ND wanted to join the Big Ten. Furthermore, IF there was such an issue "of dealing with Big#" for a century; THEN I would have thought by now that ND would have taken their talents elsewhere. Instead, there are no less than 25% of your games played against Big Ten opponents annually. Coupled with the losing record against said opponents since expansion came into play, it really makes me wonder where you get your argument? So much for a bitter taste, huh?

The people that I have spoken to know the faculty personally, and they have stated numerous times over the last few years just how much the academia at ND wanted to join the Big Ten. Furthermore, IF there was such an issue "of dealing with Big#" for a century; THEN I would have thought by now that ND would have taken their talents elsewhere. Instead, there are no less than 25% of your games played against Big Ten opponents annually. Coupled with the losing record against said opponents since expansion came into play, it really makes me wonder where you get your argument? So much for a bitter taste, huh?

That's why I said the professors were in conflict with the alumni and students. Maybe they should go to the Big# and teach literacy.