Notre Dame-Michgan

DaveH

I found this article, particularly this quote, interesting.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09-05...05/c04sp288.htm

"And I'm going to give the same answer next week. That's just how I view it. I have no emotions at all about Notre Dame-Michigan. None."

The reason I found this interesting was that I believe if Callahan had said something like that, say about Oklahoma, there would be quite a uproar among some Husker fans.

What do Notre Dame fans think about this? Nothing? Or does beating the snot out of Pitt make up for it?

Most of the ND fans I know like his approach. He has many times talked about the season being 11 distinct games and that the season has to be played at an even keel - getting too high or too low is counterproductive.

He gave the team 24 hours to feel good about a solid win this week (Lord knows, it's been a long time since those kids could do that) but then he brought down the curtain. According to one report, at Tuesday's practice after the player presser he informed the team he didn't want to hear a single word about the Pitt game anymore...or else. :blink:

In days gone by, the team has been high as kites with emotion and pumped up like crazy for the opener.... then the toe meets leather and something goes wrong and they look like a herd of deer in the lights of an onrushing mammoth truck.

Last week, in sharp contrast, they played sharp, focused football and even when the D was torched early, the team recovered and kept their composure and played a good game. THe O responded with a quick score and the D made adjustments and shut down a pretty potent Pitt offense.

Personally, I really like Charlie's approach. He's very business like and seems to be quite the disciplinarian. From what I've heard from students and players there, he really pushes the kids. I've been plesantly surprised, though, with what seems to be the players' reactions - some of them seemed to crave the structure and discipline (Tomy Z was saying last week he *needed* to be coached this way, even).

Yet, he's achieved a balance. He doesn't treat the players like NFL players (he's said many times he has to remind himself these are 19-22 year olds and holds back a lot) and uses different approached to motivate the players depending on their personalities (he said something to the effect that screaming at a kid who doesn't respond to screaming just gives you a sore throat and doesn't help the kid). He also stresses that the players need to have some fun while they're out there playing and that sits nicely with me.

I can definitely see improvement in the Irish just based on the mental game. THe Michigan comment might very well be just a tactic to keep the kids focused and control the emotions, but that's ok with me. Even though a few of my bretheren are hyping already, we're all just looking for improvement in play and if the Pitt game was an indication I don't think we'll be disappointed, even in a loss, as long as the kids are prepared and have a chance on the field every week.

Whatever emotion he lacks for the UM game I'm sure the ND fans will supply in surplus. :)

IRISH!

He gave the team 24 hours to feel good about a solid win this week (Lord knows, it's been a long time since those kids could do that).

They beat Michigan lst year. As well as the Vols in Knoxville. I think those are two very solid wins. A lot better then beating an overhyped Pitt team. Didn't Wilingham start off great his first year also? Just something to think about.

Point taken, newearth, the UM and UT games were happy times. However, ND lost their last 4 games, including a dogpile 17 point loss to Oregon State at the Insight Bowl and a 31-point blowout against USC. Those were not-so-happy times.

As far as the Willingham good start, that's been a hot topic of discussion among the ND Nation. Here's the difference - Willingham started off 8-0, but the Offense didn't score a touchdown until the 3rd game. We lived off of turnovers, special teams and defense that year.

Granted, all important parts of the game, but based too much on luck and the other team making mistakes. Once that ran out and the opponents were more organized (against BC at home that year) the rest of that season went down hill.

Saturday was diferent, though...very different. I dunno...the Irish just looked...better. More poised and focused. The offense clicked. The defense adjusted. They played real ball for the first time in ages and were in great condition. By way of comparison, Pitt players were walking off the field with their hands on their hips, cramping up and looking exhausted by the 2nd quarter.

They were truly prepared to play for the first time since Lou Holtz coached them.

I won't go crazy and say ND is a NC contender this year, but they'll be a much improved team and surprise some folks before the year's out.

IRISH!