Take it easy

sbhusker

We f'ed up the Texas game. It sucks. Indubitably. We had drops and missed tackles all game long. I watched the same game you did. My question: given the 2 weeks Texas had to prepare for our zone read, why don't we run any kind of play that might include the option pitch?

Of course, that begs the question, "why do we fumble so much?"

Nonetheless, the option pitch might be, with the defense keying on a(redshirt froshman)running quarterback, a killer weapon.

One more exterior layer to cover, right? It just seems weird that neither the pitch, nor the FULLBACK dive, is an integral part of our offense, given our history. comments?

Watson makes me scratch my head sometimes with some of the things he does. One game will be stellar and the next game will be mediocre. I know, I know, "we need to execute and catch the ball!" Yeah, we also don't need to get unnecessary penalties and fumble the ball 50 times a game. I've never seen a team with ball security issues like we have.

yes, it seemed pretty clear we could do what we wanted through the passing game...if our receivers caught the ball. I don't really blame Watson for the playcalling, given the drops. Unless he knew they would drop it, like we might know now, Watson called a pretty good game. What I am suggesting, radical as it may seem, is a return to making the defense protect against the fullback dive, playaction pass (which we had open pretty consistently today), and option pitch (perhaps still bringing someone in motion to set it up). I know it's easy to knit pick after the fact, but that's what we're here for right?

We f'ed up the Texas game. It sucks. Indubitably. We had drops and missed tackles all game long. I watched the same game you did. My question: given the 2 weeks Texas had to prepare for our zone read, why don't we run any kind of play that might include the option pitch?

Because (and I'm spewing a little venom here) Sean Watson is a dolt and when a defense shuts down our zone read he has nothing to counter act that with. It's really that simple.

lol, when has Watson called a good game against a good defense? Of course our wr's wont catch the ball as effectively when we never throw the dang ball. Look, i gave watson a pass a few times..but he keeps callign a horrible name against good defenses. What does that tell me? That he can not adjust, that he will NEVER go away from whats working. He called a good game? Yeah, when we were down by enough that we HAD to throw the ball. What did he do when the game was close? Zone read..zone read..zone read..he NEVER threw it downfield, he NEVER mxed it up and passed it on first down. he NEVER ran a running play under center, which is what texas has trouble defendng. He somehow ignore game film of the other team because hes so convinced that his offense will work on anyone, why cant people see that his offense will NEVER work on good defenses? I guess if youre ok with beating defenses who are rated below 30..then i guess we should not blame watson at all

lol, when has Watson called a good game against a good defense? Of course our wr's wont catch the ball as effectively when we never throw the dang ball. Look, i gave watson a pass a few times..but he keeps callign a horrible name against good defenses. What does that tell me? That he can not adjust, that he will NEVER go away from whats working. He called a good game? Yeah, when we were down by enough that we HAD to throw the ball. What did he do when the game was close? Zone read..zone read..zone read..he NEVER threw it downfield, he NEVER mxed it up and passed it on first down. he NEVER ran a running play under center, which is what texas has trouble defendng. He somehow ignore game film of the other team because hes so convinced that his offense will work on anyone, why cant people see that his offense will NEVER work on good defenses? I guess if youre ok with beating defenses who are rated below 30..then i guess we should not blame watson at all

Good point. I agree that Watson-coached teams have consistently underachieved. In this case, it is difficult to judge whether the cause is execution or play-calling. I think today it was execution, but at the same time, you have to run what you can execute. My suggestion is that, relying on the strength of our defense (perhaps taking out Rickey T. [as much as I love him], moving Gomes back to S, and bringing in Compton/Whaley at LB) we pound the rock, with triple option and a fullback. That's what I suggest. Feel free to critique...

Problem with Watson I have is that he makes the offense look so predictable after 6 games teams have got it figured out. Key on Martinez make him beat us with his arm. Watson needs to go back to the drawing board, I think he reads too much into his play calling, almost like he is trying to hard.