Zone Read

Apathy

Are we running this formation way to much? I say yes! Texas had two weeks to prepare for Nebraska and it didn't take Texas much to shut down our one dimensional offense that only runs one formation.

We are putting to much weight onto Martinez shoulders in running this offense. Our Zone Read didn't accomplished anything especially against a good defense. Is the Zone Read the only formation Watson knows to call? We have two great runningbacks in the Big 12 that for the most part can run it down your throat north and south.

When Zac went into the game our running game improved IMO because Texas knew that Lee is a more experienced passer and they didn't have worry about Lee running the ball so much. The Zone Read wasn't working with Martinez for 3 1/2 quarters so why not throw in a power I or put Martinez under center. We need to mix up the play calling and not be so predictable.

Thoughts...

We should have gone to running play actions and shovel passes. Roy / rex were open up the mid so many times it was sickening. Taylor decided to pull the ball and run on a lot of those. I wonder if he's a little selfish with the ball at times. See South Dakota state.

EDIT:

I agree whats been said on other parts of the forum, why the hell don't we put taylor out on boot legs? If he doesn't see an open receiver to dump to it's not like he wouldn't be able to pull in 5-6 yards going to the sideline.

I do agree for the most part on this, but there are different forms of the zone read I wish we would have run. The main thing is Texas dumped the safeties up on us and dared us to throw the ball. Watson had the right pass calls for the most part, but we simply didn't catch the ball! It's hard to run an offense when your offensive line is being dominated, your receivers can't catch the ball and there's a penalty just about every 3 plays!

• Fire 2

I think part of the problem with the zone-read is that it has basically become the "Taylor Martinez keeper" play - if the defense is keying on Martinez then the running back should be "open." When Lee went in I don't think the zone read working better was a result of Texas suddenly dropping into a nickel or dime package to keep our passing "attack" from working as much as Lee making the right reads where Martinez wasn't.

As for running the zone read a little too much and counting on Martinez for too much of our offense, I can agree with that (although I don't think that Watson is necessarily trying to put everything on Martinez every play, Martinez is just keeping it when he many times shouldn't be.) At the same time, I think that as fans our expectation of the zone read being a "home run" every time it's run are a little high and out of whack. As much as any play is designed to score, averaging 3-4-5 yards per play is much more likely and not a bad result.

I think part of the problem with the zone-read is that it has basically become the "Taylor Martinez keeper" play - if the defense is keying on Martinez then the running back should be "open." When Lee went in I don't think the zone read working better was a result of Texas suddenly dropping into a nickel or dime package to keep our passing "attack" from working as much as Lee making the right reads where Martinez wasn't.

As for running the zone read a little too much and counting on Martinez for too much of our offense, I can agree with that (although I don't think that Watson is necessarily trying to put everything on Martinez every play, Martinez is just keeping it when he many times shouldn't be.) At the same time, I think that as fans our expectation of the zone read being a "home run" every time it's run are a little high and out of whack. As much as any play is designed to score, averaging 3-4-5 yards per play is much more likely and not a bad result.

We were not adjusting the blocking schemes on it to account for Texas' gameplan. It was pretty obvious that they spent their two weeks working on shutting down the zone read, and we weren't able to make any good adjustments to our blocking. We had the patience but the combination of poor adjustments and Martinez making some poor reads kept us from ever breaking a long one.

We were not adjusting the blocking schemes on it to account for Texas' gameplan. It was pretty obvious that they spent their two weeks working on shutting down the zone read, and we weren't able to make any good adjustments to our blocking. We had the patience but the combination of poor adjustments and Martinez making some poor reads kept us from ever breaking a long one.

I'm in complete agreement with you.

I would say yes, we ran relied on the zone read way to much. I would prefer to see the base offense be the I-Formation and sprinkle in the zone read. With the I-Formation IMO you can do so much more. ISO's, blasts, traps, counters, sweeps, pitch, midline, freeze, power, counter, reverse and triple option. Amd from the passing game you have play action, boots, waggles, option passes etc. And if ran right the I-Formation is truly the only formation that makes a defense defend the hole field. They have to honor the FB, IB, QB, TE and the flats, middle, and deep field in the passing tree.

I would say yes, we ran relied on the zone read way to much. I would prefer to see the base offense be the I-Formation and sprinkle in the zone read. With the I-Formation IMO you can do so much more. ISO's, blasts, traps, counters, sweeps, pitch, midline, freeze, power, counter, reverse and triple option. Amd from the passing game you have play action, boots, waggles, option passes etc. And if ran right the I-Formation is truly the only formation that makes a defense defend the hole field. They have to honor the FB, IB, QB, TE and the flats, middle, and deep field in the passing tree.

I couldn't agree more dude. Not to mention how great a quick hit with a FB lead blocking would be, with an occasional dive to the FB. The zone read offense is too slow developing.