Last year's Wildcat formation

Marf

Last year, the majority of our offensive success came from the Wildcat in the Holiday Bowl.

Anyone think that in another situation like the Texas game last weekend, we could have Lee and Burkhead in the wildcat again? I know the point would be moot to run the Wildcat with Martinez in the backfield. Lee wasn't as much of a threat with his feet, but the defense certainly backed off and was in a heavier coverage set. I think that would allow us to maintain our primarily run based offense even after the defense has neutralized the zone read, while also making them respect the pass as Arizona did last year.

Any thoughts?

It's been a while since my last math class, but I don't think 7 Wildcat runs for 57 yards is the majority of 73 plays for 396 yards. ;)

Remember the first time we showed it against Arizona, they weren't ready for it and it went for 34 yards. After that: 6 carries for 23 yards (3.8 ypc). Compare that to the QB draw/power plays we've run with TM this year (essentially the Wildcat with the QB still taking the snap), and you probably won't care if we see it with Rex again or not.